Was Nate Gerry moved back to safety?

Not sure. But his movement to linebacker I think was a little overglorified. I know technically he was, but it was essentially a move to to a glorified dime spot. I think our coaches spent the first 6 weeks trying to find the right rotations and personell grouping out of this young group of defenders in the front 7. I think Gerry got moved forward becuase of the established depth at safety and becuase his speed and athleticism gave the coaches something they wanted at a dime spot against spread team like Wyoming, So Miss, and UCLA. Once we started using predominantly nickle and base in conference play, I think he just got lost in the shuffle. I would bet he's gonna become a straight up safety when it's all said and done. The groupings and rotations in the front 7 have been well established now, and now the coaches surely have a solid idea of who's gonna be where.

• Fire 1

A lot of posters seem to believe he is a better fit at safety (including me). Especially so considering our experience and roster inequities at LB vs Safety.

I wonder what the coaches are seeing differently to prevent it thus far.........?

As Shark mentioned it above, Gerry saw PT at LB early in the year against spread offenses. The LB situation was a complete mess early in the year. It wasn't settled until the conference season started and Michael Rose stepped up to be the MLB (although he struggles in the pass game). Santos is a good fit at Buck LB, and Zaire stepped in at WLB (after struggling with injuries the first half of the year).

Agree with ColoradoHusk. We really didn't have anyone we trusted at LB to start the year (we thought we had Santos but his play at MIKE was lacking - much better at WILL) and we needed a Dime back for all the Spread teams we played early on. As the type of offenses we faced changed and the other LBs grew into their roles, we didn't need Gerry as much.

I've said multiple times that I'd like to see Gerry back at Safety but with Cooper and Alexander there, it might still be a year away. I could see him getting a look at Nickel because it would be very similar to the Dime back spot he played this year.

Agree with ColoradoHusk. We really didn't have anyone we trusted at LB to start the year (we thought we had Santos but his play at MIKE was lacking - much better at WILL) and we needed a Dime back for all the Spread teams we played early on. As the type of offenses we faced changed and the other LBs grew into their roles, we didn't need Gerry as much.

I've said multiple times that I'd like to see Gerry back at Safety but with Cooper and Alexander there, it might still be a year away. I could see him getting a look at Nickel because it would be very similar to the Dime back spot he played this year.

There is nothing wrong with Gerry being moved back to Safety to provide competition and depth to Cooper and Alexander. The one thing with following recruiting so closely nowadays is that we are in such a rush to have these young kids come in and play right away.

He's tailor-made to be a peso-back.

I don't know about that. I think Gerry has great straight-ahead speed, but I don't know if he has the hips/quickness to play peso. Yes, he has good size/strength, but he may not have the quickness to handle the slot receivers in spread defenses. To me, he seems best suited for safety where he can come up and support the run, and use his speed to play "center field" on pass plays.

There is nothing wrong with Gerry being moved back to Safety to provide competition and depth to Cooper and Alexander. The one thing with following recruiting so closely nowadays is that we are in such a rush to have these young kids come in and play right away.

The thing that is wrong with it is I want our 11 best players playing as much as possible. I think Gerry can be in that mix but that probably wouldn't happen with him at Safety next year. I personally think he'll be a significant upgrade over Cooper but I appear to be in the minority in that opinion. I doubt he'd play in front of Cooper as the coaches seem to really talk Cooper up and that would mean either of two promising young players - Alexander or Gerry - would be getting far less playing time. If Gerry stays at a Nickel-Peso spot, some games he'll play all the time and others he won't play much at all but we'd have a two-year starter at that position when we need him. Similar to last year, we'll probably play a lot of Nickel the first 9 games - Michigan St. being the notable exception. Probably not so much the last three but you never know who we would see if we make the CCG and in the bowl.

Well, I'm not quite sure how to say this...

Jerry? Gary?

Haha. I got it at least, not sure anyone else did. Reminds me of that Family Guy episode when the doc is reading Peter the results of his tests. Well, Peter, I'm not sure how to say this.........Kim Bass-singer ? Basinger? I love that one.

• Fire 1