Husker Volleyball Recruiting Thread

Not a commit yet, but an interesting article on one Lauren Ware, a two sport athlete out of North Dakota. A Gaterade POY article indicates she is a middle. Her first official visit was at Nebraska. Recruit class of 2020. She would probably count against basketball as far as scholarships.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/26654901/basketball-volleyball-bucket-full-ice-two-sport-recruit-lauren-ware

2020 is shaping up to be an interesting situation for the incoming recruits. 11 scholarship players currently, no scholarship players graduating. 3 Scholarship players incoming (not even counting Ms. Ware). It looks like a couple will have to redshirt.

• Plus1 1

More info about the #2 recruiting class from Wagner at the LSJ

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/nebraska-volleyball-recruiting-class-ranked-no-nationally/article_707928a6-1448-5a42-adf4-50aca78a2f64.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share

Stanford is number 1. Ohio State is in the top 5 which is interesting (TCU in the top 8 is also surprising). I don't know where to find the complete top 30 list without a subscription, but rumor has it that Purdue is also ranked highly at around the 10th slot. I'm not sure about the other B1G schools. One projected top 30 list had 10 B1G schools on it.

Edited by Undertow
Had an incorrect statement about Illinois volleyball
  • Plus1 1

Interesting to say the least.  Odd to see a setter of that height. Jordyn Poulter, the generational setter from Illinois is also 6'2" (she graduated last year). I always thought of Poulter as some sort of unicorn--a player so unique in her talents that it really made the opposition change from their normal game plan. Poulter came within two blocks shy of a quadruple double in a match one time (going off memory, might be inaccurate). Now the Huskers have their own unicorn.

It will be interesting to see how Cook incorporates her into the game plan. Hames isn't going anywhere. Indeed she (Hames)  is likely to be a co-captain this year. One of Hames assets though is her ability to dig (Karch Kiraly once mentioned it's like having "an extra libero" with Hames in the back row). Do you put Drewnick back there at the same time and allow Hames more freedom defensively, knowing there is another setter on the floor and that 2nd contact is not always going to be a bump set if Hames makes the initial dig? One spot she can be put in for, assuming Drewnick has some blocking skills, is when Hames is getting abused on the front row (see Creighton and @Penn State for example). Drewnick can sub in without using the double sub they did last year.

With Kurkova leaving the team, it means Senior Night won't be much of a celebration this year. Which means someone (actually a couple) will have to redshirt for the incoming 2020 class unless Stivrins leaves early (she redshirted her freshman year) or someone else on the team is leaving.

Then add to the mix Kennedi Orr, a highly touted setter, who is coming in with the class of 2021. I'm sure Cook has a plan to juggle all this talent at the setter position.

• Plus1 1
On 5/26/2019 at 4:03 PM, knapplc said:

This isn't really a thing in volleyball, is it? I assume you're talking going pro.

No, you're right, it isn't. That was a throwaway line and I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.  The only reason I could see someone leave early is if they had a path to the 2020 Olympics via the beach volleyball route. And Hildebrand HAS mentioned, in his capacity with USA Beach Volleyball, that he thinks Stivrins has a future on the beach side. But if you look at the beach teams the USA had representing in Rio,  each had multiple seasons with a pro beach league. The earliest Stivrins would represent the US in the Olympics on the beach side is 2024, and more likely 2028.

I give her a better shot on the indoor team in 2024, even though the middle is getting crowded with young talent via Rettke and Washington. I suppose that if Stivirns had a monster year in 2019 (service game continues to improve and she makes an improvement in back row defense), Kiraly might invite her to the 2020 National indoor team tryouts. He'll have a front row seat for many of her games. But that seems like a long shot.

I personally prefer the indoor game to the beach. It is more fluid, there is more continuity (longer rallies), and more strategy. imo.

• Plus1 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The 2021 recruiting class is already making an impact on the U18 USA team

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2019/June/20/USAV-Selects-Girls-Youth-National-Training-Team

Of the 24 girls selected, 4 are committed to Nebraska (Orr, Rodriguez, Batenhorst, and Krause). The only 2021 Nebraska recruit not to make the team is Rylee Gray, a middle from Elkhorn, who is still a highly regarded recruit.

The B1G has 11 commitments on the team, 8 to the other Power 5 conferences, and 5 uncommitted. That's right. Nebraska has more representation than any CONFERENCE outside the B1G.

• Plus1 2
  • 4 weeks later...

In the article contained in the preceding post about Annika Evans, Wagner makes a statement that only Nebraska players are in the 2020 class. That's odd, because I still had Madi Endsley, 6'3" outside hitter from Cali coming in 2020. So I search for info and there she is making an oral commitment to the Huskers in  June of 2016 and appears still committed as of July of 2018. Then the next thing a see is a twitter announcement on November of 2018 where she has committed to Washington. Can't find an article as to why she decommitted, but it could have something to do with the fact that she would have to redshirt her freshman year.

The same will be true with Kalynn Meyer, 6' 3" middle blocker from Superior unless a spot is created by transfer. Meyer is an interesting athlete. She throws the shot and discus in track and field. She popped a throw of nearly 180' in the discus at the state high school meet recently as a JUNIOR. I was curious how that would translate into college as the weights typically change in the throws depending on the age group. Turns out (at least what I pulled up) 1 kg is the weight of the disc in high school, college, and for international events for women. Which means she would have placed 2nd in the B1G championships this past year and around 10th in the NCAA championships. Pretty impressive.

With Evans coming in at setter, at least Cook has a plan B if someone pulls an Atherton who took her "space shuttle" serve to North Carolina as Hunter was exiting and Hames was coming in. I do wonder if Drewnick will find enough playing time to keep her at Nebraska with Kennedi Orr, a setter as highly touted as Hames, coming in 2021.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Undertow said:

In the article contained in the preceding post about Annika Evans, Wagner makes a statement that only Nebraska players are in the 2020 class. That's odd, because I still had Madi Endsley, 6'3" outside hitter from Cali coming in 2020. So I search for info and there she is making an oral commitment to the Huskers in  June of 2016 and appears still committed as of July of 2018. Then the next thing a see is a twitter announcement on November of 2018 where she has committed to Washington. Can't find an article as to why she decommitted, but it could have something to do with the fact that she would have to redshirt her freshman year.

The same will be true with Kalynn Meyer, 6' 3" middle blocker from Superior unless a spot is created by transfer. Meyer is an interesting athlete. She throws the shot and discus in track and field. She popped a throw of nearly 180' in the discus at the state high school meet recently as a JUNIOR. I was curious how that would translate into college as the weights typically change in the throws depending on the age group. Turns out (at least what I pulled up) 1 kg is the weight of the disc in high school, college, and for international events for women. Which means she would have placed 2nd in the B1G championships this past year and around 10th in the NCAA championships. Pretty impressive.

With Evans coming in at setter, at least Cook has a plan B if someone pulls an Atherton who took her "space shuttle" serve to North Carolina as Hunter was exiting and Hames was coming in. I do wonder if Drewnick will find enough playing time to keep her at Nebraska with Kennedi Orr, a setter as highly touted as Hames, coming in 2021.

Her mom will probably blow a gasket if she has to redshirt.    

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 10:54 AM, Undertow said:

The 2021 recruiting class is already making an impact on the U18 USA team

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2019/June/20/USAV-Selects-Girls-Youth-National-Training-Team

Of the 24 girls selected, 4 are committed to Nebraska (Orr, Rodriguez, Batenhorst, and Krause). The only 2021 Nebraska recruit not to make the team is Rylee Gray, a middle from Elkhorn, who is still a highly regarded recruit.

The B1G has 11 commitments on the team, 8 to the other Power 5 conferences, and 5 uncommitted. That's right. Nebraska has more representation than any CONFERENCE outside the B1G.

An update on the U18 USA team as they cut the roster to 12:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/nebraska-volleyball-recruits-chosen-for-youth-national-team/article_d448f503-1c7a-5f96-9785-8da5b378315f.html

and

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Volleyball/Features/2019/July/26/USAV-Names-Girls-Youth-National-Team-Roster

Orr,  Rodriguez, and Krause made the cut, Batenhorst did not. For people counting at home 3 of the 12 are committed to Nebraska,  7 of the 12 are committed to B1G schools, 2 are uncommitted, 2 are committed to PAC-12 schools (Stanford, UCLA), and 1 committed to a Big 12 member (Kansas). Nebraska was the only school with multiple commits, and a Penn State commit was NOT on the list.

The U18 team will represent the US in the U18 world championships in Egypt September 5th through 14th. I'm sure this is a great thrill for the girls, but it is also slightly inconvenient, as their high school volleyball seasons will be in full swing as they play overseas.

• Plus1 3
  • 2 weeks later...

A new walk-on was added to the 2020 commit list. Abby Johnson, a 6'4" Middle Blocker / Outside Hitter is the newest Husker.

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/volleyball/attending-two-nebraska-volleyball-camps-this-summer-earned--foot/article_e8f4a409-95c9-5a5b-9660-340a4db77c35.html#tncms-source=infinity-scroll-summary-siderail-latest

By my count, that is three committed, one more potential commit on a basketball scholarship and one de-commit.

Madi Endsley

OH

SCH

6’ 03” To Washington

Kalynn Meyer

MB

SCH

6’ 03”

Lauren Ware

MB / OH

BB

6’ 05” (Not Committed

Annika Evans

S

WO

5’ 09”

Abby Johnson

OH / MB

WO

6’ 04”

SCH is scholarship player, WO is walk-on, and the BB designation means Ms. Ware would count against the basketball scholarships. Again, the team currently has 12 scholarship players and no one graduates. A lot of things can change in a year, but right now a scholarship player will have to redshirt in 2020.

• Plus1 2