Husker Volleyball Recruiting Thread

This news is a little dated but with the upcoming season upon us, the 2019 NCAA Division 1 recruiting rankings as determined by "an elite group of Div 1 coaches" is as follows:

https://volleyballmag.com/2019-ncaa-womens-recruiting-rankings/

Stanford is 1 and Nebraska 2. Per the article there is a "gap" between the top two and Oregon at 3. As far as B1G teams, the Buckenidiots are 4 and Purdue is 7. They only picked the top 10 but the usual suspects made "honorable mention" namely Penn State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Not only did Ohio State recruit well, but they are moving into new digs as is Indiana. And remember Northwestern just got new facilities in the last half of the 2018 season. A veritable volleyball ARMS race in the B1G.

TCU is the big surprise in the top 10 recruiting list at 5. I thought it was amusing that the author had to point out that Texas was in the top 6 for the 4th straight year. There are two edges to that sword. Yes Elliot can recruit well in fertile recruiting grounds, but he recently is losing players also. The prime example is 2017 Gatorade POY Lexi Sun. And there have been others. He has someone on the Texas staff that can coach up the middles well, but there isn't a ton of Texas players (other than middles) on the USA roster.

• Plus1 3
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Even with Meyer being the only scholarship player, it is still going to be a crowded field in 2020. No one is slated to leave, so a scholarship player will have to red shirt. The only other player that was recently in Nebraska's sights for this class was Lauren Ware, a two sports star out of North Dakota. Her scholarship was going to be in basketball, but she wanted to play both sports. She ended up committing to Arizona.

This class won't be highly ranked, but the 2021 class will likely be a top five, if not the top ranked recruiting class in the country, assuming all the verbals remain committed.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see this one coming. Another for the class of 2021. In volleyball recruiting, this would qualify as a 'late add'. Welcome one Whitney Lauenstein, a local from Waverly, to the Husker volleyball family:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/volleyball/waverly-junior-whitney-lauenstein-fulfills-a-dream-by-committing-to/article_f0dc1290-b13e-5aef-99db-d49224a1dd6d.html

This one is a bit confusing to me. i assumed, going by the numbers, Ms. Lauenstein would be a walk-on, but she is indeed a scholarship player. This is the 2021 class currently (at least what I've been able to keep track of):

Alexis Rodriguez

DS

SCH

5’ 04”   U18 USA Team

Lindsey Krause

OH

SCH

6’ 03”   U18 USA Team

Kennedi Orr

S

SCH

5’ 11”   U18 USA Team

Rylee Gray

MB

SCH

6’ 04”

Ally Batenhorst

OH

SCH

6’ 04”   Made USA tryouts

Whitney Lauenstein

OH

SCH

6’ 02”

The 2021 class is loaded. Four of the six were invited for the U18 USA National Team  tryouts and three of the six actually made the team. That team won the gold in September this year by the way.

Again the numbers don't add up to 12 scholarship players (they actually exceed by a couple). The Huskers should be losing 3 scholarship players after 2020. And I don't know the rules well enough to know how a medical redshirt counts against the total number of scholarships. Anezka Szabo already has a medical redshirt and would otherwise have exhausted her eligibility in 2020.

• Plus1 3
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...