SIGNED DE Sedrick King

Wistrom and tomich were about 260. Pretty sure Dwayne Harris was too. Long time NFL player Chris kelsay was about the same. Jay Moore, same. Current long time NFL player carrikker was significantly more than 260.

I'm all for situational speed rushers, but there's a reason almost all good ends here and elsewhere are closer to 260 or more. It's also why Gregory is trying to stay closer to 260.

Remember also that those prior big name players were lighter in their Freshman and Sophomore years.

Wistrom and tomich were about 260. Pretty sure Dwayne Harris was too. Long time NFL player Chris kelsay was about the same. Jay Moore, same. Current long time NFL player carrikker was significantly more than 260.

I'm all for situational speed rushers, but there's a reason almost all good ends here and elsewhere are closer to 260 or more. It's also why Gregory is trying to stay closer to 260.

Remember also that those prior big name players were lighter in their Freshman and Sophomore years.

Yep. Grant came in around 215-220. Jones, Harris, and I think Alberts were all under 240. Carrikker never should have been an end as big as he was, and its why he was moved inside by the Rams.

Oh, and btw, I watched his film, which only cements my statement, stay sleek and quick.

But anyhow, carry on. Glad we got him, hope the kid signs next week.

Jones, Harris, Hill and Alberts were all recruited as 5-2 OLB's (basically the same as 3-4 OLB's, but closer to the line). We switched to the 4-3 in 94 and Jones and Harris did do well as undersized 4-3 rush ends. Wistrom came in at 225. By the time he filled out, he was more like 260, same as Tomich. Those two were the best ends of our championship years, so to claim that smaller defensive ends did better then (20 years ago) or now is ridiculous.

I agree that we'd rather not have overly bloated and slow ends, but the ideal weight for a defensive end is about 260 or so and is evident by looking at the best ends here, throughout the NCAA or in the NFL. To be more accurate, the best weight is the amount you can carry on a long frame to maximize strength without sacrificing much in explosiveness, but in general that's ends that go 6'4 to 6-6 and weigh 255-270.

On the other hand, you can use situational rushers that are smaller and preferably stand up for scheme flexibility. That's how OU used that kid best and how we used Gregory best.

• Fire 1

From his HS DC:

Meyer said. "Sedrick is a kid who if you pigeon hold him as a speed pass rusher, he's going to be one of the best you have. We ran a lot of 4-2-5 that had a lot of 3-4 change-up and Sedrick was a kid that was just deadly off the edge for us, but was athletic enough and versatile enough where he could line-up and play coverage in the flat and do so in a dominant fashion. I think he might have had just one pass completed on him the entire season.

Sounds like, in time, we could use him similar to RG44.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1602660

From his HS DC:

Meyer said. "Sedrick is a kid who if you pigeon hold him as a speed pass rusher, he's going to be one of the best you have. We ran a lot of 4-2-5 that had a lot of 3-4 change-up and Sedrick was a kid that was just deadly off the edge for us, but was athletic enough and versatile enough where he could line-up and play coverage in the flat and do so in a dominant fashion. I think he might have had just one pass completed on him the entire season.

http://nebraska.riva...asp?CID=1602660

I read this in the paper and it got me thinking this kid could be more of an OLB in base coverage and move to DE in a nickel or dime set.

From his HS DC:

http://nebraska.riva...asp?CID=1602660

I read this in the paper and it got me thinking this kid could be more of an OLB in base coverage and move to DE in a nickel or dime set.

Eh, I really like the OLB'ers we have right now (Santos, Zaire, Gerry, Bando (yes I think he makes the move), Newby). Bigger need at DE.

• 3 months later...