College football players union

Here is a side that has always just frustrated me with this. I am saying this acknowledging once again that greed at the top of the food chain in college football and basketball is off the charts and absolutely absurd.

That said, if you think you are being exploited and it is an absolutely horrible situation and you are tired of it.....don't play football!!!! Quit the team, go get a part time job and start paying for your education yourself like most other students on the same campus as you.

Why don't they do that? Because doing so, takes away one hell of a lot of glamour and stuff they love. That is all from travel, facilities, extra help in school, fantastic training tables that other students have to pay if they even want to eat at....and on and on and on. Schools spend absolutely tens of millions of dollars on stuff for these athletes for no other reason than to keep them happy and pamper them. Rightfully so....they love all of it. If they didn't, there wouldn't be any reason for the arms race with facilities in college athletics right now. It is absolute absurd what schools are spending on these extra benefits that these athletes get.

So, even though I totally admit the system is broke and the people at the top of the food chain are disgustingly raking in what ever they can, sorry, I'm not exactly crying over the exploitation of these students when you compare what they get compared to the average student at the same school.

The way I see it is what does it do to the notion of student-athletes. Even with all the money made and so on. If they are considered employees, at what point does the university take away scholarships and just implement a salary based contracts. Then what? Free agency? Salary caps? It just becomes another pro league. And what about all the other sports? There's simply not enough to go around. And I understand Colter and his buddies' modest and humble goals for this, but we all now that when it gets rolling, those things are gonna be the least of their worries. Hell already on ESPN radio this morning, one of em was quoted as saying something about commercial sponsorship. So already, after just one day, it's evolved in that area. Pandora's box has been opened. College sports may be done.

And I get that they probably deserve a little more. Without time (or even the right most times) to get a job, maybe they should be paid some more. But how do you give a mouse a cookie.............?

My hard-ass, and I guess non-progressive as some might see it, way of thinking is look, it's college athletics. Sure there's tv dollars and millions upon hundreds of millions being changed hands based on your performance, but it's still an extra curricular activity. Yes, for most, you are receiving a college education in exchange for your services. I see a major social issue here as well in which that little piece of extreme importance is just being tossed aside like "meh, who gives a damn about education. i just want that money". If youre good enough, you'll get to the NFL. If not, you know it, and you'll take advantage of the skills you do have and use them to complete that free education so that you will be fine. There's no one forcing any of these guys to play college sports. it's somethign they want to do. So I just still have a hard time defending any sort of supposed shortcomings that college players claim to have. Especially at a place like Nebraska, where even if a player doesnt "pan out", or leaves the team later in his career, they still retain the benefits of that scholarship.

I agree.

Taking it a step farther, I am going to express my (admittedly) selfish feelings. One of the major reasons I like college sports over pro sports is I get so sick and tired of the constant battle between players and owners over contracts, hold outs, strikes, multi million dollar deals, trades...bla bla bla.....

I get friggen tired of over paid adults whining about how much they get paid to play what should be a kids game. I see this bringing that whole mess into college sports.

This is pretty much my frustration as well. In fact, just to add on to your point, there is a thing in psychology called the Overjustification Effect. From a psychological perspective there are, essentially, two types of motivation for an activity, Extrinsic and Intrinsic. Extrinsic motivators boil down to rewards - things like rewards (money, fame, power, etc.) where intrinsic motivators are internal measures of satisfaction (fun, pride, and so forth). The Overjustification Effect states that, when given the choice between an Extrinsic or Intrinsic motivator to perform an action, humans are much more likely to choose the extrinsic motivator. Paradoxically, however, external motivators will motivate the person LESS than an intrinsic motivator would have.

In other words, once college football players are incentivized for their performance by an extrinsic award (money), it will be the money that motivates them, not competitive spirit, love of the game, school pride etc. Case in point, look at the NBA, where 90% of the players go through the motions for the majority of the season to collect their paycheck. The players care so little that regular-season NBA games are virtually unwatchable.

My concern is that, if this becomes (even more) about the money for college players, the things that make college sports so special will devolve into a glorified pro sport that is nigh-unwatchable. Sure, college players aren't as skilled as pros, but I enjoy college sports (both football and basketball) much more than their pro counterparts due to the passion and intensity the games are played with.

At the end of the day, the allure of college sports for me (and, I suspect, whether they realize it at the time or not, the athletes themselves) is that these kids are playing for the love of the game. If it becomes about them playing for their paycheck, it will just be a less-entertaining version of the NBA or NFL, which will kill the unique nature of these sports and, in the long run, probably kill collegiate sports as we know them today.

• Fire 3

I just don't see the problem with it, no one disputes that the players are doing work, hard dangerous work.

The only argument is that yong adults should pay their dues by contributing into the community pot before they take. Fine but there is a tipping point when they are producing too much but seeing too little.

then don't play and go do something else you feel you are being compensated better for.

• Fire 2

I just don't see the problem with it, no one disputes that the players are doing work, hard dangerous work.

The only argument is that yong adults should pay their dues by contributing into the community pot before they take. Fine but there is a tipping point when they are producing too much but seeing too little.

then don't play and go do something else you feel you are being compensated better for.

Exactly.

Also, there's what, 1 college football head coach to every 85 scholarship athletes. If we value each one of them at 60,000 per year, that's $5.1 million combined. Head coaches are not overpaid, and they're not greedy. They're in a position with extremely high profile and responsibility, and their skills are rare and in high demand. Sure it's true of some athletes too, but if they wanted to take the hard line and walk out, there are thousands of other highly skilled high school athletes who would gladly take up the opportunity to replace them.

......From the original article, so for now if the players win it would only affect private schools like Notre Dame, USC, Boston College etc.

U$C?.......... I didn't know that. I thought public.

Also Baylor, BYU and of course, Creighton

Northwestern = mostly damn lawyers.

Marty McFly: [Reading the newspaper from 2015] "Within two hours of his arrest, Martin McFly Jr. was tried, convicted and sentenced to fifteen years in the state penitentiary."? Within two hours?

Doc: The justice system works swiftly in the future now that they've abolished all lawyers. :woo

Exactly.

Also, there's what, 1 college football head coach to every 85 scholarship athletes. If we value each one of them at 60,000 per year, that's $5.1 million combined. Head coaches are not overpaid, and they're not greedy. They're in a position with extremely high profile and responsibility, and their skills are rare and in high demand. Sure it's true of some athletes too, but if they wanted to take the hard line and walk out, there are thousands of other highly skilled high school athletes who would gladly take up the opportunity to replace them.

Exactly. The players should be allowed to attend a school that pays them fmv for their services. That was/is happening under the table so just formalize it.

The cost of tuition with room and board is part of their compensation now and would remain so.

Exactly.

Exactly. The players should be allowed to attend a school that pays them fmv for their services. That was/is happening under the table so just formalize it.

The cost of tuition with room and board is part of their compensation now and would remain so.

Almost all college football players cost there school more than they bring in. You tell me what there market value is.

The claim is they are making the schools all this money and you can't quantify it?

And, you want an open bidding war on every player?

What a friggen disaster and if you can't see that this discussion is a waste of time.

Based on the 30 for 30 "Pony Excess" I think bidding wars have already happened.

Most message board discussion just idle talk but I've read some good and far out ideas today. What if NFL teams sponsored players in college? What if players were allowed do endorsement deals on the side? What if there was some type of selection process where the same top schools didn't get to sign all of the highly rated players?

Most likely the Feds would step in to make sure the football players get something but not a very big piece, but at least the brainstorming will be fun.