College football players union

I think 'outside the wheelhouse' is a pretty good way to put it, original apostrophe man. They do a fair amount of pandering to their audience for laughs, and "Oh look, [big Organization] being ridiculous" is a pretty safe theme. As much as I'm a fan of the show...

^ that said, I haven't watched this segment yet, I'm a few weeks behind.

With the College Athletes Players' Association union movement on one side, and the Ed O'Bannon and Jeffrey Kessler lawsuits (among others) on the other, you can't blame the NCAA for feeling threatened these days. And in turn, you can't blame it for a talking points memo published by al.com Sunday that seeks to "assist members in conducting public outreach or responding to media requests."

Featuring multiple bullet points under headings like "Why Pay for Play Isn't the Answer," "Important Facts/Proof Points," and "The World with Student-Athlete Unions/Pay for Play,"the memo originally surfaced at the website of the National Association of Collegiate Women Athletics Administrators. An NCAA spokesperson told al.com that the NCAA created the memo after "our members requested facts and data on pay-for-play because there was so much misinformation in the media."

CBS Article

Aside from CFB union, you like union workers in your workplace? Myself, pro and cons.

At my first job, I had to move from one cubicle to another right behind me. 10 feet. I started to move my books over by myself when someone stopped me and warned me not to do it or I would get written up. So I packed the few things I had in a box and waited a day or so for a union guy to come, pick up my box and drop it off on the desk right behind him. That pretty solidified my opinion of unions.

Jon Stewart went after this on The Daily Show last night. Was glad to see him not hold back words for the NCAA, but was also disappointed, because most of his points were predicated upon the false idea that student athletes, specifically that guard from UCONN that said "hungry nights" every other sentence to reporters, are not receiving enough meals or assistance outside of their tuition/room& board.

Having worked at a pizza place all through college, I've seen firsthand that the athletes get more than enough meal assistance. Any kid experiencing "hungry nights" just has no idea how to manage his meal plan and assistance.

The unpaid interns of the world should unionize. The NCAA at least makes sure you are housed and fed.

• Fire 1

Aside from CFB union, you like union workers in your workplace? Myself, pro and cons.

At my first job, I had to move from one cubicle to another right behind me. 10 feet. I started to move my books over by myself when someone stopped me and warned me not to do it or I would get written up. So I packed the few things I had in a box and waited a day or so for a union guy to come, pick up my box and drop it off on the desk right behind him. That pretty solidified my opinion of unions.

Geez.....powerful union. I was a union employee (forcibly) from 1971 to 1973 and then 1986-1992. The only positive union jobs, salaries. I heard NYC garbage man starting salary was $30 per hour plus benefits.

It will start Thursday, when the NCAA Board of Directors will meet in Indianapolis to discuss a list of proposals that would benefit college players. The board is expected to approve it and push it to a vote in August by the membership.

Some of the headline items:

» Scholarships will be increased to the full cost of attendance at the school. This would cover expenses like traveling home. This puts more money in the pocket of the athlete, depending on the cost of living at the school. This is essentially the stipend.

» A player’s family will get paid travel to championship events to see their child perform.

» Schools can cover costs for parents traveling with their child for campus visits.

» Career-related medical insurance is provided and in some cases increased.

» Underclassmen will be allowed more contact with agents or advisers in determining whether they should turn pro.

» The hours spent in each sport every week will be cut back. Athletes would also be allowed more freedom to pursue a career unrelated to sports while in college.

» The arcane transfer rules will be re-examined.

» Finally, the Big Ten, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC will be granted more autonomy within the NCAA, so they can pass these proposals and play by these new rules.

This is the big one. This is where the NCAA gets an extreme makeover, and the players get some love in the process.

OWH

i havent read this entire forum so i apologize ahead of time if this has been discussed.

I understand that the universities make money from football and the players that play. selling like jerseys etc...

if the players unionize, why don't the universities give schollys to kids that actually would love to have a paid education and love the game. Replacement players. The game possibly would take a hit athletically, but it would still be the college game that I love. From my prospective, the vast majority of student athletes aren't generating income based on their specific "likeness". Its the few star players the universities have promoted that sells jerseys.

Fans that appreciate the game are going to buy tickets no matter who is on the field. Because they love their TEAM and the sport of football. Sure some schools like Baylor won't fill stadiums because they lack an RG3. But the majority of schools are still going to have the same average attendance of the last 20 years or more because the fans take pride in their team, their love for the game, and the atmosphere with College football.

I think athletes and fans alike, who are FOR paying the players should take a step back, remember why we love this game, and look at the landscape of college football where it is today vs. 20 years ago. The purism of the game is disappearing right in front of our faces and no one is taking a second to take a deep breath and realize this.

So, bring on the replacements!!! Give that kid who has been overlooked a shot at a big time program, make his dreams come true and he might show you how good he can become.... maybe even realize that NFL dream that everyone overlooked

Force players to choose to unionize before they receive a letter of intent. If they want to unionize, don't sign them. That would nip that right in the butt.