Philosophy has changed

Vince R.

There's something different. The feeling and mood is different. There's something brewing in Lincoln, Nebraska. They say that in order for someone to change or truly see the light, they have to hit rock bottom first. Bo and his staff hit rock bottom this past year. Nebraska came out in the bowl game and were aggressive, a sight we long urged for. Bo was asked about how to contain Georgia's second half fury, he replied, "we are going to come out and make a statement of our own". That fired me up. That was the honest and candid Bo we all wanted to hear. The same mistakes that reared its ugly head game after game decided to disappear against Georgia. The team looked closer than ever during that game, even more so than the hailmary. I know, its one game but there was something different. Lets look at our recruiting effort. Our staff went from passive aggressive to balls to the wall. All of the sudden we have elite recruiters on our staff (garrison, kaz, warren, fish, etc) and Bo has become a closer to be reckoned with. The type of athlete now is night and day compared to the first three classes. We all drink the koolaid when everything has been forgotten and the unknown of a new season is upon us. Still, with that said, there is momentum. Not the momentum we saw after the 09 pummeling of Arizona, where an identity crisis in philosophy was soon to follow. It's the type of momentum that has left turmoil, conflicting philosophies, poor roster management, and uncertainty in the dust. Not the type of momentum that rests the future in the hands of Jay Guy, Donovan Vestal, Tobi Okuyemi, etc. They say that its always going to get worse before it gets better and the way I see it, the time has come where the sleeping giant takes back what's rightfully theirs. Nebraska doesn't stay down. It's purely a college football science. Decades of pure excellence has proved it over and over again. We see the flashes and now its time to knock the door down. I type this not asking for your approval but just to acknowledge it. I couldn't be more excited for an upcoming season. Go. Big. Red.

I'm so excited!

I will buy into it!

Ha, like what else is a true husker fan to do?

Will we have our bitch and moan sessions, yep but we all want the same thing and I can tell you one thing, the year that we break it open will be the year we all remember most. The fight to get there is and has been a bitch so the taste of success will be that much greater once we achieve it. I hope like hell Bo can make it happen, (we all do)!

I will buy into it!

Ha, like what else is a true husker fan to do?

Will we have our bitch and moan sessions, yep but we all want the same thing and I can tell you one thing, the year that we break it open will be the year we all remember most. The fight to get there is and has been a bitch so the taste of success will be that much greater once we achieve it. I hope like hell Bo can make it happen, (we all do)!

There's enough to be excited for and the talent infusion should improve our team.

Bo knows coachspeak. What Bo doesn't know is how to fix the problems on the field. I would wait until Bo actually can get us above the current threshold to start drinking the kool-aid. less of a letdown when things go bad and a bigger upside if he does turn things around.

BeIng optimistic wont actually effect the team in a negative way. Theres alot to like going into 2014. Let last year be last year. Its not going to hurt anything to actually allow yourself to get excited for a big year.

• Fire 1
Bo knows coachspeak. What Bo doesn't know is how to fix the problems on the field. I would wait until Bo actually can get us above the current threshold to start drinking the kool-aid. less of a letdown when things go bad and a bigger upside if he does turn things around.

BeIng optimistic wont actually effect the team in a negative way. Theres alot to like going into 2014. Let last year be last year. Its not going to hurt anything to actually allow yourself to get excited for a big year.

last year was suppose to be a big year too and look how that turned out. i'm really tired of the mantra wait til next year. Being optimistic with our coach is only setting yourself up to get down on the team because once again they fall right back in the hole. Why is it so bad to be cautious about Bo til we see it on the field? From what i have seen from Bo is it doesn't matter what kind of team is on the field we get the same results. that is a shame.

Everyone will have different opinions on the future of Husker football. There are those who are eternal optimists in life as well as Big Red football. Every day of every year they expect the best and nothing negative will deter them. I've met people who are "cup always empty" types. I'm guessing their idea is to see everything negative and if it turns out well it's a pleasant surprise. Most fall somewhere in between.

Another thought is a persons experience with football. There are those who understand the game either by coaching and/or playing. They see the x's and o's and understand what it takes to succeed on the field. Others only "follow the ball" and see bits and pieces of what is actually happening. They know when we lose that someone on the field or the coaches messed up, but what actually broke down they have no clue.

Add in our passion for Husker football and it's no wonder we disagree so much on HB. I personally see good things happening with the program and if we stay away from the injury bug, this will be a good year. I don't think we are an elite team but we are taking steps toward the positive. There are a few more pieces to the puzzle that need to fall into place before we get to the big stage. If the D continues to improve and the O becomes more consistant with fewer turnovers we'll be in great shape. Win or lose I'm all in.

• Fire 1

On the Bum Phillips talk...

I could get fired up if it was...

Two years ago, we lost in the conference title game.

Last year, we won the conference title and lost in the Rose Bowl.

This year, we are going to win the conference and bring back that Rose Bowl title.

Instead, for Nebraska, it seems we are saying....

Two years ago, we got blown out by Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Last year, we didn't get blown out by anybody.

This year, we are going to have a season where we lose fewer than four games.....

That doesn't exactly get my blood boiling. And the suggestion that we are going to rise up from where we are at to claim a conference title and a major bowl win while playing a young QB and still asking a TON of young guys to make big time plays... well, it's hard.

I look at Auburn and Florida State and Missouri and say... well, why not us? But that is about as far as I can go.

On the Bum Phillips talk...

I could get fired up if it was...

Two years ago, we lost in the conference title game.

Last year, we won the conference title and lost in the Rose Bowl.

This year, we are going to win the conference and bring back that Rose Bowl title.

Instead, for Nebraska, it seems we are saying....

Two years ago, we got blown out by Ohio State and Wisconsin.

Last year, we didn't get blown out by anybody.

This year, we are going to have a season where we lose fewer than four games.....

That doesn't exactly get my blood boiling. And the suggestion that we are going to rise up from where we are at to claim a conference title and a major bowl win while playing a young QB and still asking a TON of young guys to make big time plays... well, it's hard.

I look at Auburn and Florida State and Missouri and say... well, why not us? But that is about as far as I can go.

tumblr_lmm8k4t6571qii6tmo1_250.gif