2014 Diamond in the rough

• 2 weeks later...
Alex Boryca or Bo Kitrell. Both walked on obviously. Both could play FB or LB. Both are friggen beasts. Boryca comes from Cozad and destroyed people on both sides of the ball during their run to the title and is dominating everyone on the wrestling mat this winter. Kitrell is a legacy and tackled everything (200+ tackles last fall) for Ashland Greenwood.

Boryca cruised his way to a class B state title winning the final by a 12-1 decision capping off an undefeated year.

Alex Boryca or Bo Kitrell. Both walked on obviously. Both could play FB or LB. Both are friggen beasts. Boryca comes from Cozad and destroyed people on both sides of the ball during their run to the title and is dominating everyone on the wrestling mat this winter. Kitrell is a legacy and tackled everything (200+ tackles last fall) for Ashland Greenwood.

Boryca cruised his way to a class B state title winning the final by a 12-1 decision capping off an undefeated year.

he's going to have to get A LOT faster if he wants on the field I can tell you that. He might be a good athlete at the high school level but his 4.8/4.7 in the 40 yard dash won't cut it at the collegiate level.

Congrats for the face palm post of the day

he's going to have to get A LOT faster if he wants on the field I can tell you that. He might be a good athlete at the high school level but his 4.8/4.7 in the 40 yard dash won't cut it at the collegiate level.

Just posted this in another thread but apparently it needs to be here as well:

Just a note for those who think high school kids have to run 4.3 40s to be "fast":

There were 1,422 athletes tested at the Charlotte Nike SPARQ testing today. Exactly one of them ran sub 4.50 - 4.48 by a 181 lb kid. There were only 21 more that ran between 4.50 and 4.59.

OK?

I'm afraid I don't follow how you post a guy to play Linebacker that runs a 4.7/4.8 in the 40...i thought everyone knew that speed is what we need right? As an example, both Michael Rose and Zaire Anderson ran 4.6 in the 40 in high school. I mean, I know it's not the only indicator of playing time...but I kinda figured that a walk on who wasn't as fast as players we have right now probably wouldn't see the field to become a 2014 'diamond in the rough'.

Best LB'er in the Big10 last two years runs a 4.7 as college senior, let alone as a HS senior.

OK?

I'm afraid I don't follow how you post a guy to play Linebacker that runs a 4.7/4.8 in the 40...i thought everyone knew that speed is what we need right? As an example, both Michael Rose and Zaire Anderson ran 4.6 in the 40 in high school. I mean, I know it's not the only indicator of playing time...but I kinda figured that a walk on who wasn't as fast as players we have right now probably wouldn't see the field to become a 2014 'diamond in the rough'.

You get the face palm for basing the whole thing on speed. Probably from just looking at a profile stat and never seeing the kid play. Speed kills you say, so can you put one and one together why Imani runs it up the gut and in short yardage situations and not to the outside yet then???

Best LB'er in the Big10 last two years runs a 4.7 as college senior, let alone as a HS senior.

I know speed isn't everything...as evident by Will Comptons 4.5 second 40 time...Wisconsin just scored again.

However, speed is an accepted measuring tool used by recruiting agencies to gauge the effectiveness of recruits. If you flag me for bringing up speed...better head over to rivals, 24/7 and ESPN to tell them that they need to throw 40 times out because speed isn't an effective stat for recruits.

As has been brought up every year I've been a member of this board - 40 times are practically worthless. They aren't a good measure of speed since they are mainly about technique (getting a fast start). They aren't a good measure for football since the 40 isn't done in full pads. They aren't a good measure of playing speed since almost nobody runs 40 yards in a straight line. The numbers themselves aren't precise since 40's run by the same player at different locations can result in swings as large as 0.3 secs, many are inaccurate handheld times, and many of the numbers are simply exaggerations.

I keep thinking we'll eventually stop talking about meaningless 40's but not yet. Not yet.

I know speed isn't everything...as evident by Will Comptons 4.5 second 40 time...Wisconsin just scored again.

However, speed is an accepted measuring tool used by recruiting agencies to gauge the effectiveness of recruits. If you flag me for bringing up speed...better head over to rivals, 24/7 and ESPN to tell them that they need to throw 40 times out because speed isn't an effective stat for recruits.

As has been brought up every year I've been a member of this board - 40 times are practically worthless. They aren't a good measure of speed since they are mainly about technique (getting a fast start). They aren't a good measure for football since the 40 isn't done in full pads. They aren't a good measure of playing speed since almost nobody runs 40 yards in a straight line. The numbers themselves aren't precise since 40's run by the same player at different locations can result in swings as large as 0.3 secs, many are inaccurate handheld times, and many of the numbers are simply exaggerations.

I keep thinking we'll eventually stop talking about meaningless 40's but not yet. Not yet.

exactly, many high schoolers claim they can run in the 4.3s but in reality many of them run legit 4.6s. in the combine this weekend a 4.3 legit will be a big deal.