If you could surgically remove one thing from Nebraska history, what would it be?

knapplc

Lawrence Phillips from ever joining the roster......

Howabout, LP from answering that phone call and going to SF's apartment? Maybe he doesn't spiral if without that one event. I've gotta say he was the most dominate RB I've ever seen in a Husker uniform. But he sure did invite a sh#tstorm of controversy.

Lawrence Phillips from ever joining the roster......

Howabout, LP from answering that phone call and going to SF's apartment? Maybe he doesn't spiral if without that one event. I've gotta say he was the most dominate RB I've ever seen in a Husker uniform. But he sure did invite a sh#tstorm of controversy.

There's no way we can say that a single phone call turned him into the monster he became. No one just has a Good or Evil switch, there is more to it than a single event. LP surely would have done something else stupid to embarass the university even if that one night didn't happen. He continued to do horrible things long after that.

I think even his teammates from the time, on the best team in history, have noted that he was one of the best football players they had ever been around. But, I think we would have been fine without him and without the tarnish that he brought to an otherwise outstanding time period.

92553-3.jpg

I agree about the loss of Brook Berringer. Definitely the one thing in Husker history we all wish we could erase. That does end the discussion.

For the discussion to continue, if I had to choose another thing I would pose an interesting question. At least interesting to me. We could say bye to Pederson, then maybe never have Callahan. If we say bye to Callahan though, the. We never have Cosgrove. So what if we just got rid of Coagrove? Sure, Pederson was el dousche. Callahan never seemed to "fit" Nebraska. Still, is it debatable that this program still may have been fairly successful if Cosgrove had just been thrown out on his ass? That, and maybe Callahan learns how to recruit a QB, and a lot of problems may have disappeared.

Brook getting into the plane is the easy answer on the human side of the program. What a horrible tragedy.

On the sports side of the program, it would have to be the hiring of Steve Pederson. It really is amazing how one man can tear apart an athletic department as bad as he did and divide the fan base. If someone actually competent is in that office at that time, I believe much of the turmoil the program has gone through the last 10 years doesn't happen.

You get to remove one thing from the history of this program. You could remove Doug DuBose from our history, and he would never have played here, nobody would know about him, and someone else would have taken his place.

You could remove the Callahan Era. Or Steve Pederson. Or Lil Red. You could remove the "Husker / Power" chant. You could remove Runzas.

What would you remove, why, and how would it affect the program as we know it today?

Why you be hate'n on Dougie?

So what if we just got rid of Coagrove? Sure, Pederson was el dousche. Callahan never seemed to "fit" Nebraska. Still, is it debatable that this program still may have been fairly successful if Cosgrove had just been thrown out on his ass?

Nah, I don't think so. Despite revisionist history, we had pretty damn fine defensive units in 2005 and 2006. Championship-caliber, even. It doesn't matter which individual part or coach you would have tried to get rid of, the program was fractured from the foundation and something else would have gone wrong. We could have been conference champions in 2006, as well as beat a Top 10 team in a bowl game, but Callahan pissed all that down his leg when our defense played lights out in both games.

• Fire 1
So what if we just got rid of Coagrove? Sure, Pederson was el dousche. Callahan never seemed to "fit" Nebraska. Still, is it debatable that this program still may have been fairly successful if Cosgrove had just been thrown out on his ass?

Nah, I don't think so. Despite revisionist history, we had pretty damn fine defensive unites in 2005 and 2006. Championship-caliber, even. It doesn't matter which individual part or coach you would have tried to get rid of, the program was fractured from the foundation and something else would have gone wrong. We could have been conference champions in 2006, as well as beat a Top 10 team in a bowl game, but Callahan pissed all that down his leg when our defense played lights out in both games.

Have to agree. Those 2005 and 2006 defenses were fun to watch. Guys like Carriker, Bradley, Bullocks, Fabian Washington, Jay Moore, and even Bo Ruud played some good games during their time. If Callahan wouldn't have played scared in the 2006 Big 12 CCG and the Auburn game we would've won both.