NFL Draft Prospect Michael Sam (DE/OLB - Missouri) comes out

zoogs

Good for him. Shouldn't be a big deal but it is and that takes some guts.

I will say, though, not taking away from his courage by any means, but on the ESPN coverage I saw last night, it showed a tweet from some celebrity (don't remember who) saying something to the effect of, "I'm not a Missouri fan, but if I would have known about Michael Sam I would have rooted for them at least two or three times!"

Stuff like the above pisses me off. You aren't helping with comments like that. You would have rooted for them just because he's gay? My guess is that Michael Sam would rather you didn't bother and root for who you want to root for.

Is it wrong for me to think it's frickin idiotic that this is even a story? Because I do. Who gives a damn? Really. But I guess it's still where a lot of people are. God forbid we address REAL issues.

Discrimination *is* a real issue. Step out of your echochamber.

Good for him. Shouldn't be a big deal but it is and that takes some guts.

I will say, though, not taking away from his courage by any means, but on the ESPN coverage I saw last night, it showed a tweet from some celebrity (don't remember who) saying something to the effect of, "I'm not a Missouri fan, but if I would have known about Michael Sam I would have rooted for them at least two or three times!"

Stuff like the above pisses me off. You aren't helping with comments like that. You would have rooted for them just because he's gay? My guess is that Michael Sam would rather you didn't bother and root for who you want to root for.

This will be more than half the reason I think a lot of teams will want nothing to do with this guy. Not because he is gay, though with some that will be an issue, but because this is a distraction. It takes away from the things people should be focusing on. The team, the coaches, the media, the fans. As you stated, this instantly became a reason for someone to root for the team? Ridiculous. It shouldn't just be about this guy. It's the same thing it was with Denver and Tim Tebow. I loved Tebow as a person, one of the best representatives for the NFL and for Denver. So much fantastic community and charity work. A man of conviction, enthusiasm for life, and passion for the well being of others. A hard worker, and a winner. Yet one of the most hated sports figures of all time. Polarizing figure no matter what he did. The scenario could play out very similar for Sam. It creates resentment amongst the team, and the coaches begin to have to alter things to get around all this unnecessary attention. It rocks the boat. Speaking from experience, nobody likes a boat rocker.

Outside people will believe they are helping the situation by giving it time and attention. As if they are helping the cause. In reality, they need to act more as if there is no "cause".

Is it wrong for me to think it's frickin idiotic that this is even a story? Because I do. Who gives a damn? Really. But I guess it's still where a lot of people are. God forbid we address REAL issues.

I understand where you are coming from, and generally share in your progressive attitude that all people are equal.

but you're kind of puting the wagon before the horse here. if you don't think that this is landmark and a big moment for sports (regardless of other sports who have had players come out) then you are mistaken. there is a LOT of future stuff that this will dictate, its probably not completely possible to fathom it all quite yet.

Furthermore, this is a huge dynamic for an nfl team to consider regardless of on the field play. will this PARTICULAR situation have many headaches? probably not... the guy seems to have his head on straight (no pun) and be about football.... the relationships that he has built at missouri seem to work in his favor also. but take him out of it.... there may be lots and lots of NFL players who arent mature enough to deal with something like this quite yet. all things considered, there are outside issues to deal with, especially being the FIRST to publicly deal with it. The outlook is that this will be something that will be a part of life for every NFL team at some point in the future. That doesnt take the headache out of for the first NFL team to draft a gay player. LIke it or not, it adds uncertainty to the situation, and you wouldn't be good at what you do if you are an nfl coach/exec that didn't seriously weigh the factors of going after him as worth it or not.

If it was was truely a landmark moment in the progression of society, then it wouldnt even be a story. That's the point. The fact that's it's being talked about means that there are still strong opinions on both sides of the coin. That's my issue with it, when it should just be another ho hum day for the guys. That's what I'm gettin at.

That doesn't really bother me. How many of us are rooting for him in the draft right now? Not simply because he's gay, but because the fact that he is a gay football player in 2014 (or 2013) puts him in a really tough spot. I see it as heartwarming that people who wouldn't have followed before are rallying to support him.

If it was was truely a landmark moment in the progression of society, then it wouldnt even be a story. That's the point. The fact that's it's being talked about means that there are still strong opinions on both sides of the coin. That's my issue with it, when it should just be another ho hum day for the guys. That's what I'm gettin at.

You can't even be surprised that this is a big moment in sports history. I don't even know what you're saying about if it was truly a landmark moment it wouldnt be a story. That makes no sense to me but whatevs. I can appreciate your attitude on this tho.

Thats like if Rosa Parks sat on the bus and then everyone was like "Oh, I guess they're equal.... carry on." Doesnt work like that. I could say that it should work that way... but I could also say that people of color should've never been discriminated against in the fist place.

You can't even be surprised that this is a big moment in sports history. I don't even know what you're saying about if it was truly a landmark moment it wouldnt be a story. That makes no sense to me but whatevs. I can appreciate your attitude on this tho.

Thats like if Rosa Parks sat on the bus and then everyone was like "Oh, I guess they're equal.... carry on." Doesnt work like that.

That's the deal. It's hard for me to put my thoughts on it into words. The misunderstanding of my stance was pretty expected. But it seems like you understand where I'm coming from. No, i'm not surprised about, i just dont understand why it is. But it is what it is.

Thats like if Rosa Parks sat on the bus and then everyone was like "Oh, I guess they're equal.... carry on." Doesnt work like that.

That's the deal. It's hard for me to put my thoughts on it into words. The misunderstanding of my stance was pretty expected. But it seems like you understand where I'm coming from. No, i'm not surprised about, i just dont understand why it is. But it is what it is.

yeah I hear ya

I think, Mr. A, that there are people who voice your opinion in the context of, "I'm tired of seeing all these feel-good gay stories" or "This is the fault of the media" or "It's sad that people think this is some great story or whatever."

It seems like you're approaching it more from the perspective of "I blame society for not already being further along than it is today and either having settled this issue decades ago or simply never having to have come across it."

I think, Mr. A, that there are people who voice your opinion in the context of, "I'm tired of seeing all these feel-good gay stories" or "This is the fault of the media" or "It's sad that people think this is some great story or whatever."

It seems like you're approaching it more from the perspective of "I blame society for not already being further along than it is today and either having settled this issue decades ago or simply never having to have come across it."

Yep.

And also that I'm just sick and tired of us as a society worrying about petty issues like this when there are obviosly far more pressing issues just being swept under the rug.

My status update on this was an obvious joke. I'm one of the most progressive people around. I give the guy credit for being willing to be the human shield for the people that may follow him someday. The status was removed immediately. I meant no harm and hope no one was offended. People can live their lives in any way they choose. I am not one to judge others.

it was in all of our heads. i wanted to see it as much as i didn't want to see it. so this will do.

i didnt see the joke but i can assume.