Imani Cross...

It was me that disagreed last year...I argued that the coaches were the reason for this. It's obvious that in high school, he was an outside runner and they just haven't given him the chance to do that in college yet.

Anyways, he definitely is a diff. type of runner...I think they need to just let the guys run and see what they're best at. Limiting a running back to one type of run is stupid and predictable and let's opposing defenses know exactly what you're doing. Hopefully, the coaches pull their heads out this next year.

You keep saying this. Do you not think the coaches attend practice?

I'm speaking of game time, not practice time.

So for all you know he isn't getting the job done in practice and yet the coaches are supposed to "let him run" and see what he can do in a game?

So for all you know he isn't getting the job done in practice and yet the coaches are supposed to "let him run" and see what he can do in a game?

For all you know he IS getting the job done in practice. We're not there and arguing about this microtopic you've brought up is worthless.

What I'm saying to put him in when its not a short yardage situation. Opposing defenses know what's coming the minute he walks on the field and it sucks that the coaches have become that predictable. Run him outside instead of right up the gut. Give him the opportunity to be a running back instead of limiting what you use him for. That's it. If he sucks after that, then he sucks and no amount of opportunity will change it.

He has been in when it isn't short yardage situations.

For all you know he IS getting the job done in practice. We're not there and arguing about this microtopic you've brought up is worthless.

What I'm saying to put him in when its not a short yardage situation. Opposing defenses know what's coming the minute he walks on the field and it sucks that the coaches have become that predictable. Run him outside instead of right up the gut. Give him the opportunity to be a running back instead of limiting what you use him for. That's it. If he sucks after that, then he sucks and no amount of opportunity will change it.

I'm not sure I would go so far as calling it a microtopic. And it is clearly not worthless. Bo, Beck, and RB see this guy at practice everyday. They evaluate him every day. Don't you think they would call some plays to the outside if they thought he could beat college defenders? I'm no football genius but I would venture to guess that these coaches know far more than any of us what Cross' abilities are with regards to their game plan.

And I would also go back to the question I asked earlier in the thread. If Cross got 15 carries per game every game, would we win more than 9 games? My opinion is no and probably a lot of other folks would feel the same way. So what difference does it make?

I'm not sure I would go so far as calling it a microtopic. And it is clearly not worthless. Bo, Beck, and RB see this guy at practice everyday. They evaluate him every day. Don't you think they would call some plays to the outside if they thought he could beat college defenders? I'm no football genius but I would venture to guess that these coaches know far more than any of us what Cross' abilities are with regards to their game plan.

And I would also go back to the question I asked earlier in the thread. If Cross got 15 carries per game every game, would we win more than 9 games? My opinion is no and probably a lot of other folks would feel the same way. So what difference does it make?

But...But...But.....we as fans demand we see him in the game and then we will determine how stupid the coaches are.

And we as internet posters are not at practice every day. We have no idea what the coaches see or don't see.

We can't argue that we do. Arguing that Imani IS or IS NOT getting it done in practice which affects his game time is worthless because there is no tangible evidence for or against either argument.

Based on Bo's history of not playing players too much or not at all because they don't get it done in practice would be our best assessment.

Based on Bo's history of not playing players too much or not at all because they don't get it done in practice would be our best assessment.

Based on local beat writers' portrayal of Cross as a tireless worker who is always the last one to leave practice....I'd say you have support for the opposite as well. We also don't know that this was the reason Bo did not play certain players...we only have bulletin board speculation.

I think I will go with what the coaches think. Not someone that has never played or coached the game at that level.

But you are reading whatever you want. No one has said that his practices dictate his playing time. I said that was our best assessment from the outside looking in. And again-The coaches know what is best for the team so I will defer to them. Not Dirk Chatelain.

• Fire 1

But...But...But.....we as fans demand we see him in the game and then we will determine how stupid the coaches are.

pzIug.gif

That comment came as a cumulation of many conversations with fans where basically they are demanding to see XYZ player in the games. Some fans have the attitude that obviously the coaches don't have a clue what they are doing because certain players are so hyped coming out of HS that they are just stupid to not play them.

Oh...and I also love the argument..."Some players are just not practice players. They don't look good in practice, they just look good in games if given the chance."

OR......"They don't need to know the play book. Just throw them on the field and just turn them loose to play. They are so athletic that they don't need to know the play book".

• Fire 2

Based on local beat writers' portrayal of Cross as a tireless worker who is always the last one to leave practice....I'd say you have support for the opposite as well. We also don't know that this was the reason Bo did not play certain players...we only have bulletin board speculation.

I think I will go with what the coaches think. Not someone that has never played or coached the game at that level.

But you are reading whatever you want. No one has said that his practices dictate his playing time. I said that was our best assessment from the outside looking in. And again-The coaches know what is best for the team so I will defer to them. Not Dirk Chatelain.

You don't know what the coaches think ;)

I am confident that if the coaches thought Cross could help the team running the ball differently than how you say they have pigeon holed him, they would.

Guys, I'm not saying Cross is a world beater and the BESTEST EVAR...

I'm saying the coaches haven't given him a chance because they're using him in short yardage situations the majority of the time. I think we all know this to be true.

I'm saying the coaches should give him a chance to do other things. If he doesn't pan out, then so be it. But he puts in the work to be given a shot as evidenced by the many articles written about his tireless work ethic.

Again you are using assumptions from people who have no idea what Bo's reasoning is. Maybe you should trust the coaches are doing what is best for the team like you trust they will get us past 9 wins.

I'm saying the coaches haven't given him a chance because they're using him in short yardage situations the majority of the time. I think we all know this to be true.

I'm saying the coaches should give him a chance to do other things. If he doesn't pan out, then so be it. But he puts in the work to be given a shot as evidenced by the many articles written about his tireless work ethic.

Again you are using assumptions from people who have no idea what Bo's reasoning is. Maybe you should trust the coaches are doing what is best for the team like you trust they will get us past 9 wins.

And once again, you don't know his reasoning either. To assume one way or the other is not logical.

I'd like to see them use Cross in a different way just like I'd like to see them throw the ball more to the tight ends. It doesn't mean I hate the coaches and that I think our team is full of fail. It also doesn't mean I don't trust the coaches. It means, I'd like to see Imani get a chance to do something different. NO ONE can argue that he wasn't used as a short yardage back last year...I'm just hoping for something different for him because it really limited his contributions.

I am going to end it here because this has been debated time and again.

My logic is that Bo, Beck, and Ron Brown have a reason for utilizing Cross in the manner that they have the last 2 seasons. No one knows what it is. But if that is what the coaches feel is best for the team, so be it. They see him every day and know what he brings to the table. No article written by a beat writer about his workmanship trumps that. Period.

The part you continue to bring up is that he deserves something. As in more carries. More plays called to run to the outside. more catches out of the flat, whatever. And everyone is telling you that there is nothing he has shown on the field that supports this argument.

Sure you can say the coaches are only feeding him the ball up the middle all the time. But they must have a reason. They aren't doing it because they don't like him. They are doing it because that is what they feel he can do to help the team. There is nothing you have said or demonstrated that says he deserves anything more than what he is getting.

I don't dislike the guy and I am sure he is a hell of a worker but the coaches are paid to win and they need to do what they feel they have to do to accomplish that.

Somehow this whole conversation has turned pretty stupid. Oh, never mind, I see how.....

Well you did just reply...so that had to have knocked it down a few IQ points at the very least... :sarcasm

I think it devolved the minute StPaulHusker decided he knew what coaches were thinking about Imani based on a bulletin board rumor about another player.

As opposed to claiming the gospel of beat writers slobbering over how many push ups a player can do? Gotcha.

• Fire 1

They most likely have given him a chance in a variety of situations - in practice. If he has shown in practice every day that he is best suited to a certain type of play and that other players are better at other types of plays, why would the coaches not stick to that plan in games. To do otherwise would be stupid.

My logic is that Bo, Beck, and Ron Brown have a reason for utilizing Cross in the manner that they have the last 2 seasons. No one knows what it is.

Hmmm...Ron Brown is involved...

Imani's limited carries can't be because of poor practice, because we all know his reputation for being a hard worker...

...and SPH mentioned this:

claiming the gospel

So the logical conclusion is: Ron Brown undermines Imani Cross and limits his carries because he is GAY.

Wait, is this the right thread?

Somehow this whole conversation has turned pretty stupid. Oh, never mind, I see how.....

I just contributed to that.