ESPN Top 5 B1G Student Sections

Mavric

Huskers #4

Nebraska: The Huskers love to brag about their NCAA-record sellout streak of 333 games, and rightly so. The dirty little secret, though, is that there are often empty seats at the top of the student section, something that embarrasses proud Cornhuskers fans. Still, the Boneyard -- inspired by the Blackshirts nickname -- is pretty cool, and you might think you've wandered into an Oakland Raiders game based on some of the students' more creative attire. And Nebraska fans in general remain some of the classiest in sports, as evidenced again during last season's UCLA game, when students helped lead a tribute to a Bruins player who had recently passed away.

This was part of ESPN's look at declining attendance in general:

In August, the subcommittee encouraged each Big Ten school to explore full Wi-Fi in stadiums as well as Distributed Antenna System (DAS) coverage to enhance cell-phone functionality. A fan base immersed in smartphones, social media and staying connected demands it.

"Everybody realizes improvements have to be made," said Kerry Kenny, the Big Ten's liaison to the game-day experience subcommittee. "People want to be updated on other games. They want to go in there and take photos or Instagram videos or tweet. They want to be able to stay in touch with family and friends that aren’t there but are watching."

Penn State installed Wi-Fi throughout Beaver Stadium in 2012 but is the only Big Ten school to have complete access. Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas said he hopes to have total Wi-Fi in the school's football stadium by the fall, if not the 2015 season. Nebraska's regents last month [/size]approved a $12.3 million Wi-Fi project for its stadium, and Wisconsin hopes to have full stadium Wi-Fi this season.

When I was a student, we had pretty good seats in the east stadium. All the students were pretty close to the field. Now, thanks to T.O. (the one bad decision he made IMHO) was to punish students and push them back. Or was it to get more $$$ from alums on ticket revenue? The jury will probably always be out on that one. I loved being a student and going to the games, but I wouldn't have bothered had I had to be stuck in row 478 for every home game and watch right beside Yuri the cosmonaut next to the International Space Station. And when people are stuck with that option, guess what they're going to do now with today's technology? Go home or go to the bar and watch it on a 60" crystal clear HDTV, which I'm sure everyone pretty much realizes that that is what is happening to game attendances around the country.

I understand that students do dumb stuff sometimes, but that's what security is for. But I always felt the game was for the students to support their fellow student-athletes. Not for administration to make excuses and find ways to get more revenue on seats at the expense of the loudest demographic part of the crowd. Ok...got off the subject a little ;)

But I always felt the game was for the students to support their fellow student-athletes.

And you are right. It is a school sport and it's the students' team before it's anyone else's - we had a thread about this a while ago and I think that opinions were a bit mixed, but most people agreed with that.

It's only at the very, very, VERY top that colleges start operating as if the school's attendees don't have the primary right towards their sporting events, because of the blinders known as dollar signs. How many colleges are there in this country? Between 2 and 3,000 I think - most of them get it.

Steve Dosskey, president of the Iron N student section at Nebraska, said students often don't filter in until 15-20 minutes after kickoff because they're at off-campus tailgates. (Nebraska's campus is dry.)

"People usually get there, but we have a difficult time filling up the student section by kickoff," Dosskey said. "Naturally, we're going to have better attendance for the [2:30 p.m.] and for the prime-time games."

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=bigten&id=95978

The first two home games are against:

(1) Florida Atlantic - Uncle Carl is gone along with the Pelini bro's angle

(2) McNeese State - Another FCS cannon fodder opponent

Don't count on the student section to be full when duds such as those are scheduled. With Okie St. vs Florida St., LSU vs Wisky, and Clemson vs Georgia in week one, why drop money on a blowout when you have such better entertainment, that is more convienient, viewable from a house/party/bar?

If the temps climb in to the +90oF range I begin to ask myself; Do I even want to go to the game? Bet your ass I am tailgating.

• Fire 1

The first two home games are against:

(1) Florida Atlantic - Uncle Carl is gone along with the Pelini bro's angle

(2) McNeese State - Another FCS cannon fodder opponent

Don't count on the student section to be full when duds such as those are scheduled. With Okie St. vs Florida St., LSU vs Wisky, and Clemson vs Georgia in week one, why drop money on a blowout when you have such better entertainment, that is more convienient, viewable from a house/party/bar?

If the temps climb in to the +90oF range I begin to ask myself; Do I even want to go to the game? Bet your ass I am tailgating.

Hopefully we start to see better games... It does get tiring when we continously play FCS opponents...