Fox News, the GOP, and the loss of a generation

http://www.salon.com/2014/02/27/i_lost_my_dad_to_fox_news_how_a_generation_was_captured_by_thrashing_hysteria/

There's a lot in this article. This happened to my dad as well - for several years he did nothing but drink and watch Fox News, literally all day. It completely consumed him. The brainwashing of a susceptible group of people and the exploitation of that by predatory advertisers is a sad sad demise for a lot of the silent generation and baby boomers who now feel confused and overwhelmed by a high-tech world filled with social change that has largely passed them by. And I'm not sure what the answer is or if one even exists.

http://www.salon.com...shing_hysteria/

There's a lot in this article. This happened to my dad as well - for several years he did nothing but drink and watch Fox News, literally all day. It completely consumed him. The brainwashing of a susceptible group of people and the exploitation of that by predatory advertisers is a sad sad demise for a lot of the silent generation and baby boomers who now feel confused and overwhelmed by a high-tech world filled with social change that has largely passed them by. And I'm not sure what the answer is or if one even exists.

the downfall of the news just isn't Fox, it's that they care more about making money than reporting the truth. It would be nice to have a widespread news in America that wasn't liberal or conservative.

• Fire 1

http://www.salon.com...shing_hysteria/

I am also saddened by what Fox News has done to the minds of people in my family. Both my father and grandfather (really everyone in the generations above me) mainline the FNC on a daily basis. Up for breakfast with Fox & Friends, lunch with Lumbaugh, and drinks with the the king of fools himself, Bill O'Reilly, during primetime. Our generation can laugh about it with each other, but when you see the effects on otherwise rational people and their inability to detect a hint of BS when stories about our communist-Muslim-Kenyan president w/ his fake birth certificate surface anew each day, you realize this isn't some small thing. Fox News is literally killing peoples' ability to think.

In place of measured conversation about substance, you get people on a steady diet of manufactured outrage. Tune in each night at 7 PM sharp to hear about the newest and worst attack on America, like affordable healthcare, combatting climate change, sensible immigration policy, ending catastrophic and expensive wars.

There isn't an answer or a solution short of death squads. If you talk to people who really buy into the lies Fox News spreads (and there are many, both of the lies and people taken in by them), you quickly realize nothing can be done. You can pick apart the falsehoods line by line, showing examples of primary source evidence that utterly contradicts Fox News, and the sheeple will simply come back with some version of, "It's a liberal conspiracy of some kind." The delusions created by their circular logic are unbreakable.

While I admit that non stop FOX news is not a good thing, his description of "there's nothing wrong with affordable health care for all and a moderate Democrat" as the current situation is a wee bit off as well.

• Fire 1

There isn't an answer or a solution short of death squads. If you talk to people who really buy into the lies Fox News spreads (and there are many, both of the lies and people taken in by them), you quickly realize nothing can be done. You can pick apart the falsehoods line by line, showing examples of primary source evidence that utterly contradicts Fox News, and the sheeple will simply come back with some version of, "It's a liberal conspiracy of some kind." The delusions created by their circular logic are unbreakable.

Yep. Ran into this today. My dad is more convinced than ever that the IRS story and the Benghazi stories are heating up. The next Issa hearing is going to blow the lid off . . .

And like you said, I'd bring up facts that Fox News doesn't focus on and he wouldn't believe me. "Where are you hearing this bull@#$%?!"

While I admit that non stop FOX news is not a good thing, his description of "there's nothing wrong with affordable health care for all and a moderate Democrat" as the current situation is a wee bit off as well.

There really is nothing wrong with that. There is something wrong with the current version of the affordable care act but when the right simply wants to obstruct the left and continually call votes to repeal the act, which will fail for the foreseeable future, instead of fixing it what's a guy to do?

• Fire 5

Yep. Ran into this today. My dad is more convinced than ever that the IRS story and the Benghazi stories are heating up. The next Issa hearing is going to blow the lid off . . .

And like you said, I'd bring up facts that Fox News doesn't focus on and he wouldn't believe me. "Where are you hearing this bull@#$%?!"

I guess I think the misinformation runs both ways. CNBC and CNN aren't any better IMO.

I guess I think the misinformation runs both ways. CNBC and CNN aren't any better IMO.

But I don't know anyone who watches CNN or CNBC.

• Fire 1

It does run both ways, but not to the same extent. The Fox News fear mongering and lie machine dwarfs anything else trying to counter it. Something like MSNBC is certainly far left learning, but to the same ridiculous extent? No way. CNN has just become more incompetent and sad than anything else.

Of course, if a person watches Fox News, then any source other than Fox News is part of the liberal media conspiracy... Even proven facts, if in disagreement with Fox News, get spun into the liberal conspiracy. You don't get that level of douchebaggery and disinformation anywhere else.

• Fire 1

It does run both ways, but not to the same extent. The Fox News fear mongering and lie machine dwarfs anything else trying to counter it. Something like MSNBC is certainly far left learning, but to the same ridiculous extent? No way. CNN has just become more incompetent and sad than anything else.

Of course, if a person watches Fox News, then any source other than Fox News is part of the liberal media conspiracy... Even proven facts, if in disagreement with Fox News, get spun into the liberal conspiracy. You don't get that level of douchebaggery and disinformation anywhere else.

Yep.

BS. Studies have shown that viewers of Fox News are less informed of current events than people who watch no news at all. That's a fact.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/fox-news-less-informed-new-study_n_1538914.html

The largest effect is that of Fox News: all else being equal, someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer just 1.04 domestic questions correctly -- a figure which is significantly worse than if they had reported watching no media at all. On the other hand, if they listened only to NPR, they would be expected to answer 1.51 questions correctly; viewers of Sunday morning talk shows fare similarly well. And people watching only "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" could answer about 1.42 questions correctly.

BS. Studies have shown that viewers of Fox News are less informed of current events than people who watch no news at all. That's a fact.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1538914.html

The largest effect is that of Fox News: all else being equal, someone who watched only Fox News would be expected to answer just 1.04 domestic questions correctly -- a figure which is significantly worse than if they had reported watching no media at all. On the other hand, if they listened only to NPR, they would be expected to answer 1.51 questions correctly; viewers of Sunday morning talk shows fare similarly well. And people watching only "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" could answer about 1.42 questions correctly.

Heh. You believe the Huffington Post?