Fox News, the GOP, and the loss of a generation

I guess we will agree to disagree. If you lean left you see a lot of fault with Fox News if you lean right its the other way around. Just my opinion.

Left or right leaning bias would be understandable . . . it's the partisan hackery that is grating.

For example, Sean Hannity is not a "conservative." He's a party mouthpiece.

I guess if you say so, I am not a big Hannity fan, but I don't find what he is saying any different than say what Oberman did before he went too far. I actually don't mind O'Reiley, I think he does a decent job on things and though he is conservative doesn't always agree with everything that is being done in the Republican party.

I don't agree with everything going on in the Republican party, I just feel that our government is way too large and it is both parties fault. I guess I am a simple person. I believe you have to pay for what you buy and our country is not even close to doing that.

I don't agree with everything going on in the Republican party, I just feel that our government is way too large and it is both parties fault. I guess I am a simple person. I believe you have to pay for what you buy and our country is not even close to doing that.

Too large? What exactly do you propose we get rid of? Most of the stuff there is there for a reason, and in general was demanded by the populace.

Too large? What exactly do you propose we get rid of? Most of the stuff there is there for a reason, and in general was demanded by the populace.

Not by me

In place of measured conversation about substance, you get people on a steady diet of manufactured outrage. Tune in each night at 7 PM sharp to hear about the newest and worst attack on America, like affordable healthcare, combatting climate change, sensible immigration policy, ending catastrophic and expensive wars.

Yep. The worst.

Not by me

Most people don't even know what all is covered by the gov, so they just complain about budgets where they don't understand the numbers. Again, what do you propose to cut?

• Fire 1

Not by me

Most people don't even know what all is covered by the gov, so they just complain about budgets where they don't understand the numbers. Again, what do you propose to cut?

Please enlighten me as to what I don't no is covered by the government.

My question to you is does are government spend more money than it takes into its coffers, yes or no. If you say yes than how is this sustainable over the long haul? If you say no than you are lying to yourself.

As far as cutting stuff out of the budget, I am open to having a certain percentage cut out of every government program for starters.

Actually, reasonable government deficits are a good thing. They're good for the economy, promote growth, and they are easily sustainable. Note I said reasonable...nothing has been reasonable about deficit growth lately, going back well past Obama. But you have to ease into fixing the problem - it can't be done all at once, nor can it be done in huge steps, especially with a relatively unstable national and global economy.

• Fire 1

Government deficits are sustainable over the long haul because over time inflation reduces the amounts owed to a negligible amount. And no, we're not selling our souls to foreign countries - the majority of the government's debt is owned by Americans. And a lot of foreign debt is American-owned.

America's debt is nowhere near being too large, and in fact pales in comparison to countries like Britain and Japan. (as % of GDP)

• Fire 2

Not by me

Please enlighten me as to what I don't no is covered by the government.

My question to you is does are government spend more money than it takes into its coffers, yes or no. If you say yes than how is this sustainable over the long haul? If you say no than you are lying to yourself.

As far as cutting stuff out of the budget, I am open to having a certain percentage cut out of every government program for starters.

You do not have a solid understanding of how governments spend and run finances. If it was not sustainable, we would have been doomed a long, long time ago.

Blanket percentage cuts are a terrible idea. Some areas have much more room to cut than others, some are running on shoestring budgets as it is. Talk specific programs and areas, you are only talking around the issue right now.

The simple fact of the matter is the "smaller government" line from the right means ONLY kill the oversight on big business, and shrink the gov down so it can keep an eye on what you do in the bedroom.

Government deficits are sustainable over the long haul because over time inflation reduces the amounts owed to a negligible amount. And no, we're not selling our souls to foreign countries - the majority of the government's debt is owned by Americans. And a lot of foreign debt is American-owned.

America's debt is nowhere near being too large, and in fact pales in comparison to countries like Britain and Japan. (as % of GDP)

I don't think a lot of people are aware of this, I know I wasn't. With all the rhetoric out there all you hear is China owns the largest percentage of our debt . But in reality they only own 8% and are still behind the Fed and Social Security Trust Fund in percentage. I guess you would say they're the largest none US government affiliated owner of debt?

• Fire 2

[Fox News hat]

But Obama and the liberal conspiracy are ruining this country and its core values, so everyone that owns that debt is moving to another country! So in reality, in less than a year the majority of our debt will NOT be owned by real Americans. RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

[/Fox News hat]

Actually, reasonable government deficits are a good thing. They're good for the economy, promote growth, and they are easily sustainable. Note I said reasonable...nothing has been reasonable about deficit growth lately, going back well past Obama. But you have to ease into fixing the problem - it can't be done all at once, nor can it be done in huge steps, especially with a relatively unstable national and global economy.

Now that is a reasonable answer. There is never going to be such a thing as a balanced budget, nor should there have to be, but the deficit is getting way out of hand.

This is not a democrat or republican problem it is a government problem. Both parties are of equal blame IMO.