Fox News, the GOP, and the loss of a generation

. . .

Remember those warnings — actually they're still issuing them in most political races — that Obamacare would cost millions of jobs, send the country into recession and send budget deficits soaring?

In fact, job growth picked up smartly when the big features of the law went into effect 10 months ago. And the federal deficit fell to $483 billion in the fiscal year that just ended, less than a third of its $1.5 trillion peak in George W. Bush's last budget year.

. . .

It's a damned shame that there appears to be no political consequences for the incredible series of lies that the ACA opponents spun.

• Fire 6

Jeb is gearing up his presidential run, if you read the signs. We could have another!

I don't think Jeb is nearly as stupid as W is though. But obviously still would like to avoid that scenario.

I agree tschu. Jeb would have been better in 2000 (hey we wouldn't have had the hanging chads as he would have carried Florida easily). but I think his time is pass and the Bush dynasty has been stained by GWB.

I don't even know where to post this.

The video has taken the right-leaning web by storm, and is widely seen as proof of Attkisson's unstated-but-clear implication. The Blaze called the video "what could be evidence of the government taking over her computer." TownHall ran it with the headline: "Watch Someone in The Government Take Over Sharyl Attkisson's Computer." Fox News columnist Howard Kurtz called it "highly sophisticated hacking" and "chilling stuff." Breitbart News deemed it "More Evidence the Government Hacked Sharyl Attkisson's Computer."

But it turns out, based on Attkisson's own video, that the computer may not have been hacked at all. It turns out that not only does this bear none of the hallmarks of anything remotely resembling hacking but, based on all available evidence, it looks like what actually happened is probably that her delete key got stuck.

http://www.vox.com/2014/10/31/7140247/the-right-is-convinced-obama-hacked-sharyl-attkisson-over-benghazi

Like I cannot stress enough that this woman's backspace key got stuck, she wrote AN ENTIRE BOOK about it, and the right-wing crazies are championing this hilarity as evidence of Obama's administration hacking random journalist's computers. It's almost too good.

• Fire 2

It's media as a whole that has this nation all f'd up. (Fox does seem to be the most egregious offender of the bunch)

Instead of people figuring out how to feel about certain issues, they run to their "most trusted media" outlet, to figure out how they should react and feel, which is pretty sad.

. . . Remember those warnings actually they're still issuing them in most political races that Obamacare would cost millions of jobs, send the country into recession and send budget deficits soaring?

In fact, job growth picked up smartly when the big features of the law went into effect 10 months ago. And the federal deficit fell to $483 billion in the fiscal year that just ended, less than a third of its $1.5 trillion peak in George W. Bush's last budget year.

. . .

It's a damned shame that there appears to be no political consequences for the incredible series of lies that the ACA opponents spun.
The problem is many people believe that the doom-gloom predictions will eventually come true. Voters who thought that way previously still think that way now when they show up to the voting booth.

The problem is many people believe that the doom-gloom predictions will eventually come true. Voters who thought that way previously still think that way now when they show up to the voting booth.

That's one possibility. Another is that they will be readily lead into the next outrage by political elites who know better and a well funded and compliant propaganda arm.

It'll fade into the background. Oh, sure . . . there will still be occasional rants about "Obamacare!"(and that term will grow to be even more of a slur and even less connected to any actual set of facts) but within 5-10 years the ACA will be just as engrained and accepted as Medicare. The base burning hatred will find a new target. Maybe we'll even eventually be treated to a new slew of signs that say Get Your Government Hands Off Of My Obamacare!

Like I cannot stress enough that this woman's backspace key got stuck, she wrote AN ENTIRE BOOK about it, and the right-wing crazies are championing this hilarity as evidence of Obama's administration hacking random journalist's computers. It's almost too good.

This is what i find so funny about Tea Partiers. As a libertarian, I'm fairly anti-government (and anti-corporate), but this eagerness to believe that there is some sort of well-organized conspiracy by the government to persecute them is hilarious. I mean, c'mon, ever been to the DMV? Based purely on the performance of that governmental institution i would say that there is no way in hell they could pull of such efficient attack on an extreme wing of a dying party.