Fox News, the GOP, and the loss of a generation

Any time you want to actually prove how I twisted statistics, I'll be more then ready to respond.

I find it funny (we'll just call it funny...) a person who, in this very thread, posted a statistic and didn't back it up with links when asked to, is requesting links to be posted in order to respond. Imagine I'm posting a Picard facepalm here.

So to that point, look it up yourself, you've got the internets.

AGI (you might want to include that term in your search) has shown right around 50%, or a bit more, of women choosing to get an abortion were using birth control. So that completely falsifies the implied meaning behind "95% of abortions are done as birth control." Because as I've already said, the intention and meaning behind that phrase is that a future abortion is being used as "birth control," so women are not being careful about avoiding pregnancy.

50%? Works for me. With your gracious help

Lefties thinks bad

-2012 gun murders~10,000

-US deaths in total Iraq and Afghanistan~5000+2500=7500

-2012 US executions-43

Righties thinks bad

Abortions in US in 2012~600,000

Number of righties concerned about being called a hypocrite by even bigger hypocrite lefties~0

Thanks EbylHusker

• 2 weeks later...

While I consider myself to be a strong constitutional conservative, I've gotten tired of the shrill constantly on 'conservative' talk radio with a few exceptions. Those exceptions are those commentators who don't buy the repub party line. This is true of fox news. If they are just 'party' men, like Hannity has become, then all it does is spoil one's mind and spirit. Gone are the days when everyone trusted Walter Cronkite. So, I find news more on line than by watching the cable networks - I think all 3 major cable networks are bias. CNN was the standard for so many years and then went far left and fell apart. MSNBC - very bias and sometimes crazy so to the left and Fox - they started wt promise but now it is talk radio on the TV.

There are times I just like to watch good old Public TV news hour - yes more left leaning than I normally like (mostly by what they leave out) but you don't get the shrill voices and the constant talking over other people

There are times I just like to watch good old Public TV news hour - yes more left leaning than I normally like (mostly by what they leave out) but you don't get the shrill voices and the constant talking over other people

You and me both, brother. News . . . not hyperbole.

I have come to really enjoy NPR on the way to and from work. It is nice to have news and talk about something other than 3 over sensationalized stories running constantly with slanted political views.

I have come to really enjoy NPR on the way to and from work. It is nice to have news and talk about something other than 3 over sensationalized stories running constantly with slanted political views.

NPR is great. I really love listening to PlanetMoney. Which isn't strictly political or news-related, but I really like the analytical approach economists like to take in making observations. As opposed to advocacy.

:yeah

RadioLab is great too.

I also like their election coverage - they had people from all sides being interviewed. I thought they did a good job wt the questions and limited the sensationalism I use to listen to talk radio all day long but realized that it can poison your spirit - doesn't matter if it is left or right. Polarization is never a good thing when it comes to politics. While I'm not on here as much as many of you - Carl, Jr, Knapp etc (not sure how you guys can post so much - that is another discussion) I still learn from your perspectives and appreciate it - even when you call me on by anti-O rants!! - that I'm now trying to avoid. We cannot become better people and therefore a better nation if we are closed minded and polarized. That is my biggest concern about the current day media - it goes after a market (left, right, fringe), polarizes it to retain a very loyal following, and capitalizes on it to bring in the $$s. Then we become non-thinkers, driven by that same media and become more 'entrapped' into believing it is the only media worth following. I guess it is the Cult of the Media. Who do I fault? Maybe the journalism schools - if students don't leave the schools with the # 1 priority of remaining unbiased & loyal to the truth only, then it is no wonder that news corporations bend the news in a way to bring in the most $$s. Note: we all have a bias but one can still report in an honest, unbiased way. As a history major so many years ago, we learned that we needed to look at the evidence where ever it took us and not report history through the filter of our biases. Maybe that is unrealistic in our modern world. In the days when we had only 3 major networks reporting the news - Cronkite, Brinkley, etc - the anchor position seemed to be a 'sacred trust'. The weight of honest reporting seemed to sit on the shoulders of those who delivered the news. Now news has become entertainment. Maybe that is why PBS news hour is a nice throwback - it isn't 'sexy'.

NPR is great. I really love listening to PlanetMoney. Which isn't strictly political or news-related, but I really like the analytical approach economists like to take in making observations. As opposed to advocacy.

:yeah

RadioLab is great too.

Never heard of radio lab - website??