Fox News, the GOP, and the loss of a generation

Gore was a stuffed shirt, and however right he may be on Climate Change, I did not see him as a leader. Not that Bush 2.0 was much better, but he was better than Gore.

Looking back on it, with a "if I knew then what I know now," I definitely would not have voted for W. But at the time, Gore being the willing accomplice to the shenanigans of the Clinton Era, having no policies that convinced me that he would reverse Clinton's (as it turns out) disastrous dismantling of our spy network in the post Cold War era, I could not see him as a step forward. I thought he got the nomination solely because he was the Veep, and I didn't think that qualified him to be president. I still don't think that - although I do think W. turned out to be one of the worst presidents in American history.

Wow, even for your habitual rhetoric, that is quite a statement.

It really isn't. History will not look kindly on George W. Bush. That much is clear.

I do think W. turned out to be one of the worst presidents in American history.

Wow, even for your habitual rhetoric, that is quite a statement.

I don't think that he would be at the top if we're talking about the entirety of American history . . . but if we're talking the modern era or in a generational sense . . . that's not a difficult argument to make.

In fact, the more interesting question might be whether W. was a greater failure in domestic or foreign policy.

He won't be the worst all-time since Harding has a pretty good lock on that, with competition from several of the pre-civil-war presidents, but yeah W will go down as being among the worst in his own right.

i would imagine he will be the worst two term president.

A lot of folks who study this sort of thing would offer up Grant. Gilded Age, some pretty awful wars against the natives, General Custer, drinky drinky................

Andrew Jackson (trail of tears) isn't very popular either in that circle. To say nothing of Nixon.

W's legacy is such a work in progress and is going to be forever linked with Obama's. So stay tuned?

He won't be the worst all-time since Harding has a pretty good lock on that, with competition from several of the pre-civil-war presidents, but yeah W will go down as being among the worst in his own right.

i would imagine he will be the worst two term president.

A lot of folks who study this sort of thing would offer up Grant. Gilded Age, some pretty awful wars against the natives, General Custer, drinky drinky................

Andrew Jackson (trail of tears) isn't very popular either in that circle. To say nothing of Nixon.

W's legacy is such a work in progress and is going to be forever linked with Obama's. So stay tuned?

polo! we are supposed to be allies.

i was not considering nixon because he resigned, but i guess you could. and i am not going to do the research to add to this discussion and defend grant or jackson. but i will say something that will be held against W. was how great things were when he became president and what could have been with better tax policy, more reasonable banking regulations, and if he would have held true when he said he did not think america should be nation builders.

but, time will tell.

There have been times in my life when the only reason to vote R was to help insure that another liberal would not get nominated or voted into the Supreme Court.

And this is Exhibit A of how the current political process is failing America.

Are you saying this because he voted R for that reason, or, that anyone would vote for a candidate just based on the Supreme Court decisions?

Yes--it shows a lack of understanding of the Supreme Court Justice nomination process. Plus, pulling the R lever because you don't want to pull the D lever is base level stupidity IMO--you should never pull the lever based on party affiliation, and you *should* pull the lever because they're the better candidate.

I guess I'll admit guilt to "base level stupidity" then. Sorry we can't all have intelligence like you. This country has been bought and paid for and has been for well over 50 years or more. As long as there isn't one party in control of the White House, Senate and House, the country will be relatively stable. A Republican Senate is less likely to approve of a far left appointee for Supreme Court. Judicial appointees, because of their decisions, can affect a country for generations. Ben Nelson ring a bell?

Which parts do you consider a work in progress?

I mean the tax cuts destroying the budget alone are atrocious, and that's pretty far down on his list of f#*k-ups

That's also a very inflammatory way to describe them. It's a work in process because vitriol like that needs to quiet down and it needs to be objectively looked at.

vitriol like that needs to quiet down and it needs to be objectively looked at.

spit.gif

• Fire 2

spit.gif

Been Keepin that in the queue I bet.

Wow!! I have said numerous times that GB II wasn't the best president in history, but seriously are there people that are serious when saying Obama is better?

Yes. Obama is a better president than W. Unequivocally. Hands down. Without a doubt. Now, that's a little bit like being named the prettiest girl at an ugly person convention... but still. Yes, Obama is better.

• Fire 3