Fox News, the GOP, and the loss of a generation

It's an often repeated number that's nothing more than a myth created by twisting interpretations of statistics to fit someone's agenda. What it means is, "The number of women having abortions so as to not end up giving birth to a baby is 95%." A truly shocking statistic, really, since the WHOLE f'ing POINT of having an abortion is to prevent having a baby.

The twisting of the statistics comes in with the implied meaning imparted by the addition of "as birth control." This brings to mind the often repeated myth that huge %'s of women are having unprotected sex with the idea that they can just have an abortion later and it's all good. You see the twisting of the statistics and the agenda here? Yeah.

Someone citing that statistic is a great way to instantly identify a person that buys into a lot of the lies that are being spread around. I've got another truly mind boggling statistic for you. 99% of the people crossing a street are doing so to cross that street. 1% are just too drunk to know where they are and stumbled across it by accident. OMFG, unbelievable, right? RIGHT??

I'll play your assumption game. In fact for your benefit, I'll reverse those statistics and let's say that 95% of abortions are because of rape, incest or the extreme medical cases and only 5% of abortions are due women not wanting to be punished with a baby. Even with those inaccurate percentages that have still leaves an overwhelming larger number of lives taken that the pro-abortion left thinks is ok vs the lives lost from the things the right thinks is ok. You can call me an idiot all you want but in the end I'm still correct on my original post. The left is the bigger hypocrite.

I'll play your assumption game. In fact for your benefit, I'll reverse those statistics and let's say that 95% of abortions are because of rape, incest or the extreme medical cases and only 5% of abortions are due women not wanting to be punished with a baby. Even with those inaccurate percentages that have still leaves an overwhelming larger number of lives taken that the pro-abortion left thinks is ok vs the lives lost from the things the right thinks is ok. You can call me an idiot all you want but in the end I'm still correct on my original post. The left is the bigger hypocrite.

Lives?

I didn't call you an idiot, that's against board rules. If you took it to mean that, well, that's your problem.

I don't give two sh#ts about how you feel regarding abortion. I'm merely pointing out your twisting of the statistics to fit an agenda, which I find reprehensible and counterproductive in any topic. Now, whether the twisting was done intentionally or unintentionally (as in, just parroting what you hear) is another question.

• Fire 1

Abortion is a tricky subject, no matter what side of the argument you fall on, but the truth is, the GOP uses fervor over abortion as a way to gather votes and get people riled up. During most of the Bush years, the GOP essentially controlled all three branches of government, and even though there are a lot of voters who seem to really get concerned over abortion and not much else, there was very little effort from the GOP to make any significant changes to the legality of abortion.

Also during that time, especially after Bush's SCOTUS appointments, the Supreme Court was as sympathetic to conservative causes as they ever will be, but they consider the abortion debate to be settled precedent, and even if the GOP did try to change things, the courts would not allow it. In short, abortion in this country is going to be legal and that's not going to change. The GOP will keep using it for political points, but not much else.

Also, anyone on the right who calls the left "pro-abortion" is totally ate up. No one (of any significant number) is pro-abortion. Talking about rights, choice, and morality is cool, but being pro-choice does not make one pro-abortion.

Abortion is a tricky subject, no matter what side of the argument you fall on, but the truth is, the GOP uses fervor over abortion as a way to gather votes and get people riled up.

definitely. i just see some people on the left being exceptionally critical of conservatives who are opposed to all abortion. but if your stance is that the fetus is a life, it stands to reason that you will not support any exception.

but i agree, it is definitely a wedge issue and not the worse thing for republicans that it is still consdered an issue. it is great for riling up the base and diverting attention from other issues.

if you oppose abortion because you believe it is the murder of a child, how could you support any exception? i honestly do not understand that. what difference does it make how the baby was conceived if you believe it is a sacred life?

If the child isn't going to live and take the mother with her unless she gets one, that would be an exception for me. If the baby was created from incest or had other genetic deformities, that would be an exception for me as well. Rape? You have a point on that one. If there in nothing wrong with the child I'm not sure I could come up with any reason to support abortion because of it.

I didn't call you an idiot, that's against board rules. If you took it to mean that, well, that's your problem.

I don't give two sh#ts about how you feel regarding abortion. I'm merely pointing out your twisting of the statistics to fit an agenda, which I find reprehensible and counterproductive in any topic. Now, whether the twisting was done intentionally or unintentionally (as in, just parroting what you hear) is another question.

Any time you want to actually prove how I twisted statistics, I'll be more then ready to respond.

Abortion is a tricky subject, no matter what side of the argument you fall on, but the truth is, the GOP uses fervor over abortion as a way to gather votes and get people riled up. During most of the Bush years, the GOP essentially controlled all three branches of government, and even though there are a lot of voters who seem to really get concerned over abortion and not much else, there was very little effort from the GOP to make any significant changes to the legality of abortion.

Also during that time, especially after Bush's SCOTUS appointments, the Supreme Court was as sympathetic to conservative causes as they ever will be, but they consider the abortion debate to be settled precedent, and even if the GOP did try to change things, the courts would not allow it. In short, abortion in this country is going to be legal and that's not going to change. The GOP will keep using it for political points, but not much else.

Also, anyone on the right who calls the left "pro-abortion" is totally ate up. No one (of any significant number) is pro-abortion. Talking about rights, choice, and morality is cool, but being pro-choice does not make one pro-abortion.

Actually no, anyone who responds to the "pro-abortion" wording is the one who is totally ate up. I was just waiting to see who would reply. Works every time, thanks.

Any time you want to actually prove how I twisted statistics, I'll be more then ready to respond.

I find it funny (we'll just call it funny...) a person who, in this very thread, posted a statistic and didn't back it up with links when asked to, is requesting links to be posted in order to respond. Imagine I'm posting a Picard facepalm here.

So to that point, look it up yourself, you've got the internets.

AGI (you might want to include that term in your search) has shown right around 50%, or a bit more, of women choosing to get an abortion were using birth control. So that completely falsifies the implied meaning behind "95% of abortions are done as birth control." Because as I've already said, the intention and meaning behind that phrase is that a future abortion is being used as "birth control," so women are not being careful about avoiding pregnancy.

• Fire 5

Again, it all has to do with the way you lean IMO. If you lean left, which it appears you do you think Fox News is terrible. I lean more right so i take a different view of Fox News. I really don't watch it all that much, the way you present things is no better or worse than what they say, except you don't agree with it.

i do not watch much news, but i think there is a difference between what fox news does and what others do.

cnn= biased towards lazy journalism and combating their ever growing obsolescence.

msnbc= biased towards a liberal ideology.

fox news= biased towards the republican party above even a conservative ideology.

msnbc is not beholden to a party. they will criticize anyone who opposes their liberal ideology, even democrats. you rarely see fox news criticize a republican, because they are protecting a party over an ideal. i think that is much more dangerous, disingenuous, and causes a skirting of journalistic integrity.

msnbc is biased, but they are consistent and accurate.

Good summary.

Way back in the day when I would actually turn on Fox News, Genn Beck would criticize Republicans fairly often claiming certain Republicans were not "conservative enough".

However, I think it's probably been at least 10 years since I have watched Fox News.