The Perfect Conference

The Perfect Conference  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with 16. I like the 4-4 team pods. You play your 3 pod teams plus 2 from each of the other pods. Plus 3 non-cons

I don't hate that idea . . . I mean, I'm at least trying to embrace it since it seems inevitable. But we have to come up with a better name than "pod".

Quartet?

Ensemble?

ELIMINATION CHAMBER!!!!!!!

• Fire 1

I went with 16 teams. It's kludgy but I like the teams I chose, so there.

Ohio State - The Horseshoe is cool, and I really like their fans.

Michigan - spending the rest of college football's lifetime showing them who won in 1997 sounds good to me (3-1 since 1997, bitches)

Michigan State - Sparty is good people. Last year was their aberration win.

Wisconsin - This has the makings of a good rivalry. Plus Barry Alvarez.

Penn State - One of the all-time great teams. Lots of history, legendary players, great teams.

Texas A&M - The Aggies are good people. The only non- Big-8 team I miss from the Big XII.

Oklahoma - Obvious. So much history.

Oklahoma State - Great memories from Barry Sanders & Thurman Thomas.

Missouri - The weakest of my picks, but nostalgia got the better of me. Plus Grant Wistrom is from Missouri.

LSU - The guaranteed win (look it up)

Georgia - Playing between the legendary hedges. Plus, if we had to have a repeat bowl opponent, these guys were pretty damned cool.

Tennessee - I've always liked the Vols. And Peyton Manning. Especially about eight minutes into the 3rd quarter of the 1997 National Championship Game.

Florida State - We'll beat the hell out of them until they give us our 1993 National Championship back.

Arizona State - The scenery.

Notre Dame - Legendary football always has a place in my heart. Plus we haven't lost to them in like 60 years.

Well so far the Ultimate Conference has shaken out like this:

Nebraska

Oklahoma

Mizzou

K-State

Iowa

Kansas

Ohio State

Michigan

MSU

Wisconsin

Penn State

Notre Dame

Gotta say, this is about as close to perfection as a conference we could hand pick would get.

The perfect conference... I guess I would take the best teams out of the Big 12 (old and new) and the Big 10

I would have it

Oklahoma St

Oklahoma

Texas

Nebraska

Baylor

Michigan

Ohio St

Michigan St

Wisconsin

Texas A&M

Mizzery

Penn St

All schools with rich tradition, great recruiting and I believe we would out beat any conference you could put out there. IMO, this would be an ultimate conference, but the only issue, you would most likely have each team at 2 losses by seasons end, which wouldn't be beneficial for the Final 4 playoff system.

Ultimate Conference to help NU go undefeated...

Kansas

Colorado

Kansas St

Illinois

Indiana

Purdue

Iowa St

Nebraska

Northwestern

Iowa

I'd pick 12 teams based around culture and geography, two things that seem to be becoming dinosaurs when it comes to conference realignment:

Nebraska

Iowa-I love having them as the "little brother" team

Iowa State-I miss trips to Ames

Wisconsin-Emerging rivalry, Madison's fun as hell

Minnesota-Culture & Geography

Missouri-I miss rooting against them

Kansas-If only for the basketball

Kansas State-Such an easy road trip

Oklahoma-One of the few things I miss from the Big 12

Oklahoma State-Why not?

Notre Dame-Fun to hate, tons of history

Ohio State-Even more fun to hate than ND

• Fire 1

I'm surprised no one voted for 8 team conferences (I would have voted for that but didn't want to take the time to consider which teams would all be involved together, probably some sort of regional affiliation).

I'd like to see all of the D-1 teams sorted into 8 or 9 team conferences (maybe 10-12 conferences, we'd have to jettison the North Texas/South Alabama/UMass/Western Kentucky jokers back to FCS or whatever), so the conferences can all play round-robin and therefore have a true champion, but still have enough weeks on the schedule to play some interesting non-con games (and even establish some non-regional rivalries). And then seed the champions and a few wild cards into a 12-16 team playoff from there.

I think eventually we will see super conferences, 4 to be exact, 16 in each conference. Truly that is where the real competition shuts off at. 16 set up regionally, center is in St Louis, and have Northwest, Northeast, south east and south west. I know it will not end up like that but, keep regional traditions alive. Meaning Penn State is not in conference with USC. I think the Big is already headed in that direction and the SEC is to. 16 gives you a conference championship game, 4 Conference champions, 4 team play off.

I have no solid idea of who the conferences would be made up with, but close to existing now. ACC would be absorbed by Big an SEC and the Big 12 would merge with the Pac 12 in some aspects, hell Texas wants that now.

I see the 64 select teams breaking away from the NCAA for their own upper division level. Not in my lifetime, but truly think they the big conferences are already moving towards it.