Jamal Turner QB "experiment"

You do understand that Nebraska cannot control everything that happens to it, creating situations that are less than optimal. Darlington would have had the opportunity to compete for the starting spot this spring but he suffered a nasty head injury, the third time he's been concussed. So we are now faced with just an Armstrong/Stanton battle for the starting spot, which is less than ideal but far from being under our control--we can't tell a high school to not play there best quarterback.

I'm thinking that the decision to practice Jamal at QB stems from (1) him being a QB out of high school and (2) having a different type of athleticism which could be beneficial when running formations like the wildcat. I don't think the master plan has him being the starting quarterback.

i am tired of the Bo gadget play mentality....you fool with that stuff only after you have everything else in place.....and that damn sure isn't the case...this was suddenly a wet dream Bo had, otherwise he would have JT on the scout team as QB last season...he could at least have run the scout.

It's f'ing spring ball, not 2 weeks into August. This kind of stuff is exactly the reason spring ball exists.

• Fire 5

I see both positives and negatives for him getting reps at QB. The main negative IMO I see is him taking away reps from TA, Johnny, and every one else.

The positives are it gives us a playmaker with an explosive first step, which obviously gives the defense another threat to be worried about. He has been through 3 spring practices now (I believe) so he knows the WR position well, this should help him with being able to read the defense. It also gives even more leadership in the QB room. TA is a great leader and just creates more competition and pushes TA. With Turner, he can give perspective to the other QBs about what WR personally see on the field.

Why do we need to have a third option at quarterback? It would be like Tom Osborne giving Matt Turman practice at quarterback when we had Brook Beringer and Tommy Frazier ahead of him. How could Matt ever expect to get into a game with those two ahead of him?

It would actually be like TO giving Abdul Muhammed reps at QB.

Why do we need to have a third option at quarterback? It would be like Tom Osborne giving Matt Turman practice at quarterback when we had Brook Beringer and Tommy Frazier ahead of him. How could Matt ever expect to get into a game with those two ahead of him?

Or Tony Veland

Anyway, I don't think this is as big of a deal as people are making it out to be. You all are just freakin' bored. I bet when we get another #boom or two, this topic will be forgotten. IIRC, didn't we use Bobby Newcombe in these types of situations? Also, I bet we're glad we had Mike Stuntz practice the Black 41 Flash Reverse (pretty sure that's the name of the play, or damn close). How awesome would it be to see Jamal Turner throw a TD pass to TA?

• Fire 2

Actually, it would be like TO giving Bobby Newcombe reps at QB.

If Bobby Newcombe was a Sr in 97.

Now you're making me recall the whole Crouch/Newcombe/Solich mess and I want to lie down.

Now you're making me recall the whole Crouch/Newcombe/Solich mess and I want to lie down.

Was Abdul ever a QB?

Solich was still living off TO's players though. All Callahans incredible talent is gone.

Solich was still living off TO's players though. All Callahans incredible talent is gone.

Um, yes?

For when your starter and second string get injured like last year?

Um, yes?

It's not a question

Kind of makes a person wonder why the coaches waited until Jamal's senior year to put him back at QB. A guy who originally was recruited as a QB and has the arm strength to stretch the field with the pass yet also has the athletic ability to be a dual-threat and take it the distance.

Up until now no Big ten teams have game film from the past 3 years on him playing qb. This tells me Bo and co. are utilizing what we have while we still have it to add another peice to the 2014 offensive puzzle.

Don't quote me on this but I think I remember Beck saying during bowl prep that they've had a package for him for a long time now - just haven't found the right time to use it.

It's spring ball take it easy man.

And I think that would be used developing Armstrong and Stanton, not some project gadget play scheme with a WR at QB. Forgive me.

If the coaches want a project, they could start to try and crack that fumbling thing. Which may stem from players playing positions foreign to them.

Spring ball is used primarily for installing team-wide systems and philosophies, as that is when you are allowed to have your entire team practice together. The offseason is more specifically for developing individual talent and skill. Anyone that has had any kind of direct exposure to college athletics should know this.

You really don't think they are trying to crack the fumbling thing? Do you really not think that? They aren't trying at all. Those towels they've been wrapping around the balls for the last two offseasons are a fashion statement? The assistants tracking every carry and every fumble in practice is just for record-keeping?

And some people are acting like there's an infinite amount of practice time. This just seems weird to roll out when the message out earlier in the week was "keeping it simple, run 5 plays 10 times, not 10 plays 5 times, etc etc etc"

Who is acting like that? Granted I couldn't bring myself to read through this dumpster fire of a thread because of posts like this, so I might have missed it, but I don't see anyone acting like we have an infinite amount of time - I only see people that understand the value of depth and options.

Honest question - do you remember what position did Oklahoma's quarterback that beat us in the 2006 Big XII Championship game start that fall camp at?

This isn't the first time Bo has punted his QB recruiting, I seem to remember him being the only person on the planet thinking Bubba Starling wouldn't take several million dollars from the Royals and would rather be Taylor's backup for a few years.

Considering Bubba's decision came less than two minutes before the midnight deadline, I would say there were at least... like probably three other people that thought it was a real possibility.

• Fire 3