Gobble Gobble

Beginner here. Somebody try to give me a rundown of the basics of turkey hunting. Thinking about giving it a go in the fall. What shotgun set up is customary?

12 gauge with a full choke is what I use.

Fall is a bit more difficult... More spot and stalk type hunting. Since they do not breed they do not come to calls, or are less likely to. I try to get between the roost and where they feed in the mornings, and then get close to where they are consistently roosting for the evening. The rest of the day it is spot and stalk. They usually have 2 or 3 places they typically roost. If you are unsure where they are roosting, go out in the evening for a hunt and then you will see and hear where they roost. From there you can make an educated plan for setting up in the morning

Beginner here. Somebody try to give me a rundown of the basics of turkey hunting. Thinking about giving it a go in the fall. What shotgun set up is customary?

What size shot, or does it really matter?

Fall is a bit more difficult... More spot and stalk type hunting. Since they do not breed they do not come to calls, or are less likely to. I try to get between the roost and where they feed in the mornings, and then get close to where they are consistently roosting for the evening. The rest of the day it is spot and stalk. They usually have 2 or 3 places they typically roost. If you are unsure where they are roosting, go out in the evening for a hunt and then you will see and hear where they roost. From there you can make an educated plan for setting up in the morning

Good to know. I probably would have sat there calling for days. :lol:

i usually use 5 or 6 shot 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge mags. Winchester has a great turkey load. If you do not have a shotgun capable of 3 1/2 (which can shoot accurately up to 50 yds) then get the 3inch mags. They will put them down quickly. If you make a good head shot they will flop around for a few minutes. Its similar to a chicken running around with its head cut off... its ok. they are not suffering

i usually use 5 or 6 shot 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge mags. Winchester has a great turkey load. If you do not have a shotgun capable of 3 1/2 (which can shoot accurately up to 50 yds) then get the 3inch mags. They will put them down quickly. If you make a good head shot they will flop around for a few minutes. Its similar to a chicken running around with its head cut off... its ok. they are not suffering

I was born and raised in NE but never knew that wild turkey thrived there. I guess I was too fixated on slaying pheasant. ;) I have however, fired a hot 3 1/2 turkey load (unbeknownst to me at the time). Be sure you're prepared!

Are the turkey located throughout the state? What is the best region to hunt them? I have already made plans to go here in KY this fall but I would love to set something up in NE for maybe next spring.

I was born and raised in NE but never knew that wild turkey thrived there. I guess I was too fixated on slaying pheasant. ;) I have however, fired a hot 3 1/2 turkey load (unbeknownst to me at the time). Be sure you're prepared!

Are the turkey located throughout the state? What is the best region to hunt them? I have already made plans to go here in KY this fall but I would love to set something up in NE for maybe next spring.

If you have the appropriate shotgun, a 3 1/2 isnt going to knock your socks off. Some older models or cheaper benellis will however.

Turkeys have BOOMED over the last 15-20 years. and Pheasants have been decimated. Turkeys are located almost everywhere now. All river systems, rolling hills, bluffs, Even out in western Neb if you have a block of woods and any type of water you can find turkeys.

• 10 months later...

Took my son on our annual turkey hunt this weekend. Had a great day on Saturday. But, it was cold, drizzly and windy on Sunday and didn't have much luck. Took us till after lunch to adjust our approach.

As anyone else hunted turkey's in those conditions? It was frustrating because we knew they were all around but could not get any of them to respond from calling as far as gobbling back. We would be in a spot for well over an hour, calling with absolutely no response only to then stand up to move and realize a Tom was very close and acting like he wanted to come in.

We finally decided after lunch we were going to stay in one spot no matter what. We finally got one to come in but something spooked it at the last minute and didn't get a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

answer a few questions here, I use a bow, hoyt factor 30, most use what ever they use for deer. im not a fan of the guillotine broadheads. they lose velocity fast, anything over 25 yards is a crapshoot. I use magnus bull heads. same concept only a lot better. I always keep a few rage mechanical heads in the quiver for body shots.

calls. get a variety. flocked up bird have a lot of talkers so sound like a flock. I use a quaker boy 1 sider box call a heart breaker box call a couple cheap slates and a flex tone mouth call.

I blind hunt mostly so I set up on travel and fly down areas. decoys. the more motion they have the better they are!!!! I run 2 avian x hens and a funky chicken jake. deadly combo. I rarely hunt a full strut decoy, spooks the subordinate birds imo.

BigRedBuster, windy days they wont gobble much. the wind makes it hard to pick out predators so they will mostly keep quiet but will come to a call quietly. and wont cover a lot of ground quickly. turkey hunting to me is a must do every spring. 3 bird limits and endless place to go in this state make it one of the best bird states their is!!