Kenny Walker Coaching High School Track

Nice article on Kenny Walker:

Kenny Walker, now an assistant coach with the Highlands Ranch track team, was a two-year starter for the University of Nebraska football team in the late 1980s. Even though he’s a Denver native, he picked the Cornhuskers because they had what most schools didn’t — a program for the deaf.

“They have very good deaf access there, and it was back in the 1980s, and it wasn’t an easy step for me,” Walker said. “You know most (schools) don’t have interpreters and they were willing to provide me with one.”

Walker has been profoundly deaf since age 2. He lost his hearing when he contracted spinal meningitis. Since then he’s only been able to hear noises over 110 decibels. When he played his final home game at Nebraska in 1990 against Colorado, Cornhusker fans made sure Walker knew he was appreciated — not by trying to cheer loudly — but rather by using the sing language gesture for cheering.

“I didn’t realize how supportive Nebraska was. I didn’t know how big the people were supporting me,” he said. “It was very special. To have that, deaf and hard of hearing, knowing we could succeed, it’s not easy for me, but I did succeed.”

Nice article on Kenny Walker:

Kenny Walker, now an assistant coach with the Highlands Ranch track team, was a two-year starter for the University of Nebraska football team in the late 1980s. Even though he’s a Denver native, he picked the Cornhuskers because they had what most schools didn’t — a program for the deaf.

“They have very good deaf access there, and it was back in the 1980s, and it wasn’t an easy step for me,” Walker said. “You know most (schools) don’t have interpreters and they were willing to provide me with one.”

Walker has been profoundly deaf since age 2. He lost his hearing when he contracted spinal meningitis. Since then he’s only been able to hear noises over 110 decibels. When he played his final home game at Nebraska in 1990 against Colorado, Cornhusker fans made sure Walker knew he was appreciated — not by trying to cheer loudly — but rather by using the sing language gesture for cheering.

“I didn’t realize how supportive Nebraska was. I didn’t know how big the people were supporting me,” he said. “It was very special. To have that, deaf and hard of hearing, knowing we could succeed, it’s not easy for me, but I did succeed.”

That right there is why we do have the greatest fans.

Yep, I remember them doing that when he made a good play. But I remember a time that must have been his last home game, when he was announced individually and ran out on the field, and the place was completely quiet. The TV showed the fans signing their cheers, and it was an incredible moment.

Yep, I remember them doing that when he made a good play. But I remember a time that must have been his last home game, when he was announced individually and ran out on the field, and the place was completely quiet. The TV showed the fans signing their cheers, and it was an incredible moment.

Yeah that memory is one I will always remember as well. It was against CU and it was Senior day. That day was bad weather and it was the day of the big comeback by Eric Birnemy and co. I was crushed afterwards.