QB/DB Latravis Washington

I heard LaTravis is going to Columbus for the Ohio St. and Michigan game.

Hopefully he is just using one of his allowed visits so he can see the "Game of the Century" in person.

Seems to be the reason. Good to see Fabian gave his approval even after Callahan's downfall with the Raiders.

Wasn't Cally already gone when Fabian was drafted?

• 3 weeks later...

Bruins' Washington headed for Nebraska

The highly recruited LaTravis Washington is slated to play safety for the Cornhuskers.

BY ALAN DELL

CORRESPONDENT

BRADENTON -- From almost the first day he visited the University of Nebraska campus as a sophomore, LaTravis Washington had a feeling that was the place for him.

It didn't hurt that his cousin, Fabian Washington, a starting defensive back for the Oakland Raiders, played for the Cornhuskers.

LaTravis would like to follow in the footsteps of Fabian and took a step in that direction recently when he orally committed to play football for the 'Huskers. Nebraska wants the Bayshore High quarterback/defensive back to play safety, which he agrees with.

"I think defense is the quickest way to get on the field there (at Nebraska) and the best way for me to get to the next level," Washington said. "Fabian told me I should go where I wanted, but he had nothing but good things to say about Nebraska. He had a great career there, got a good education and went on to the NFL."

The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Washington had offers from all of the Florida schools and narrowed his final three down to Ohio State, West Virginia and Nebraska. All of the schools except Ohio State wanted him to play defensive back.

"Ohio State wanted me for quarterback, but I just didn't see myself doing that for four years. I put a lot of thought into it," Washington said.

"Nebraska wants me to play strong safety, which is what I want to play on the next level so I think it's a perfect opportunity for me."

Washington, who has been clocked at 4.55 seconds in the 40-yard dash, was going to make trips to Ohio State and West Virginia, but canceled the visits.

"I just didn't feel like going and felt Nebraska is the place for me," he said. "The coaches there treat you like a son and that is a big thing for me. I got to feel like I am at home."

Washington, who turns 18 in April, played strictly quarterback his sophomore and junior years at Bayshore. This past season he played safety and some defensive end, where he recorded five sacks.

He made his oral commitment to Nebraska defensive assistant coach Phil Elmassian on the phone and was told he had a good chance of getting on field as a true freshman just as Fabian Washington did.

"He said if I bust my butt, I could play and that is what I am looking forward to. I want to make a big impact," Washington said.

The last hurdle left is his test scores. Washington is waiting for the results of his ACT exam that he took last month to see if he qualifies.

"I feel confident that I made the score that I needed and I am looking forward to having a good career at Nebraska," he said.