QB/DB Latravis Washington

• 1 month later...

Three area football plays sign letters to play in college

JOHN LEMBO

Herald Staff Writer

BRADENTON - Latravis Washington had this in his head during all those long, uphill runs, and during all those extra hours of practice.

This morning, he got to put it on paper.

Washington, a senior at Bayshore, was the first area athlete to sign a letter of intent when he made his commitment to a University of Nebraska official.

"(Coaches) told me, 'You have to bust your butt if you want to be a top Division I player,'" Washington said. "I was like, 'Whatever it takes, man, whatever it takes...I've gotta sign, I've gotta sign. That would help my family, and that would make my family so proud of me.'"

"It's just a blessing from God, just to be here."

Washington committed to the Cornhuskers in early December. He split time at quarterback and defensive back in high school, but will be used primarily in the defensive backfield when he gets to Lincoln.

"I didn't go to the sleep until about 12:30, 1 (Tuesday night)," Washington said. "All that hard work I did, all that sweat, it finally paid off. And I'm so happy."

Roughly an hour later than Washington's signing, at Manatee High, Austin Jensen and Spencer Hodges sat side-by-side in the principal's office and signed their letters, with Jensen off to Florida Atlantic and Hodges to Liberty University.

Jensen, a linebacker in high school who will play safety for the Owls, and Hodges, an offensive lineman, are longtime friends who helped the Hurricanes to consecutive trips to the Class 5A state semifinals. That's what made Wednesday morning so special for them - as nice as it was to sign, what made it better was that Jensen and Hodges did it with a good friend.

"A lot better," Jensen said. "It's better than some stranger."

"It was a goal, definitely," Hodges said of heading to a Division I school. "It's like the next chapter, that next step...You're kind of ready to start all over again."