QB/DB Latravis Washington

What was all this bs about him not qualifying then?

i think that it all started with a lower ACT score and his GPA and he didnt know if he had a qualifying score through the clearing house.

i guess the clearing house went with a composite score of all 4 areas instead of the average and he had a high enough composite with his 2.72 GPA to get cleared and is able to make it to lincoln

what ever happened at least this is more good news. just like getting another recruit this year that can make it to camp right away

What was all this bs about him not qualifying then?

i think that it all started with a lower ACT score and his GPA and he didnt know if he had a qualifying score through the clearing house.

i guess the clearing house went with a composite score of all 4 areas instead of the average and he had a high enough composite with his 2.72 GPA to get cleared and is able to make it to lincoln

what ever happened at least this is more good news. just like getting another recruit this year that can make it to camp right away

I think even Steve Ryan jumped the gun on that one and said he wouldn't make it, if my memory serves me correctly. Like you said, at any rate, it's good to have him on board.

OWH

Good interview with Latravis. Sounds like he is ready to play ball.

NU Recruiting: Florida prep standout eager to start camp

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN — Latravis Washington is looking to make up for missed time.

The lone Florida high school signee in Nebraska's 28-man football recruiting class last winter, Washington received the green light this week from the NCAA clearinghouse to start his NU career on time.

"I'm hyped," said Washington, a top athlete among the Huskers' class of newcomers who is slated to begin practice in Lincoln as a safety or outside linebacker. "It's a big relief. I worked hard to get there. All the coaches were asking me to do extra things, and I was doing it behind the scenes.

"I'm going to show them on the football field and in the classroom when I get up there."

Washington, once considered a long shot to make it academically, completed his classroom work and testing early this summer. For the past few weeks, he could only wait for word from the clearinghouse.

It came Monday night, Washington said, in a call from NU assistant Phil Elmassian.

His inclusion appears to represent a clearance of the final major obstacle for Nebraska as it sets a roster for preseason camp.

Of the recruits to sign in February, linemen Joseph Townsend, Aaron Schutle and Demetrious Davis failed to qualify academically.

Washington, the cousin of former NU and current Oakland Raiders' cornerback Fabian Washington, plans to arrive in Lincoln on Saturday. A team meeting and other orientation activities are scheduled for Sunday. Preseason practice begins Monday.

Washington played quarterback and defensive back at Bayshore High in Bradenton, Fla. He also starred at the Huskers' QB academy in 2005 and 2006.

He was listed at 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds in February but said he'll weigh in around 220 to 223 next week, perhaps cementing his future at linebacker. With a group of returning linebackers headed by four seniors, NU may look for Washington to play a reserve role this fall if he can learn the system well enough.

"I can still move," he said. "The last time I ran a 40, I ran a 4.58. That was a big thing with me, gaining weight and making sure I could still run. If they want me to gain a little more, as long as I can move, I'm fine with it."

As for his physical readiness, Washington said, don't worry.

"I'm a Florida boy," he said. "It's football. It ain't nothing. Football is year-round down here. I haven't slacked off at all. They're going to see when I get up there that I haven't been sitting around."