Why was Eazy E banned?

Not related to EZ-E specifically, and not looking for a specific answer but more of just an ideology, but this brings up an interesting question for me. Do people that get banned deserve to stay banned forever? And if not, why not, and what kind of a timeframe should be given for that? I mean they can't show their amends via the board, obviously, but if someone however many months or years down the line still misses this place and thinks, "wow yeah I was a douchebag", should they be able to come back?

I believe that's why there are temporary and permanent bans. It sounds like EZ-E was given multiple chances to avoid a permanent ban and he failed to make the necessary changes. He really has no one to blame but himself; and, I think it brings the board into a shady area if you then start backtracking on your permanent bans, even if behavior has changed.

I believe people can earn second chances. But, again, I'd have to argue it sounds like EZ-E was given multiple, MULTIPLE, chances to stop screwing up. And he didn't.

Wouldn't a perma ban be easy to work around? Just need to change IRLs (e.g., post from a diff't location) and alter any other identifying traits of your account (e.g., the browser version you use, or perhaps use a diff't computer (not sure if the computer can be detected from posting. Probably yeah.)).

My guess is that EZ has an account here right now. Probably set it up before he got banned. Since we was constantly in danger of getting the boot from this place.

If it was easy more people would do it. Not that we ban LOTS of people, but of the ones we ban, they tend to stay banned. wifi is a notable recent example of someone who was banned, then came back on with new user names. It was like whack-a-mole getting rid of his socks and work-around accounts, but there are several mods here and he's just one guy. Eventually we outlasted him.

We have a pretty good group of mods here. That means bans are handed out for good reasons and the vigilance to find someone trying to circumvent the ban is pretty high. We certainly aren't perfect, but we do a pretty good job keeping this place at a pretty good level.

There are other costs imposed by a ban, too - such as the cost of having to create a new identity. Typically, the ones who go this route are the ones who are content to stir up trouble any way they can. Or, if not purposefully, they can't help but fall back to the same patterns that got them banned in the first place. In both cases they tend to be rooted out eventually.

Are there folks who, having previously been perma banned, have genuinely turned a new leaf and years later, come back to be solid members? That's plenty possible. And I don't think anybody has a problem with that. I do think more frequently, the case is a poster who discovers that leapfrogging the technical hurdles of the software ban is easier than following the community guidelines. A minor hassle for the mod crew, and the same result in the end for them.