Trust in your state

incredible to see how people have shifted on a lot of these issues. death penalty is stupid because it is morally wrong, but if you do not care about that, it is not cost-effective. expanding medicaid is a no-brainer unless you have national political aspirations and want to say, "i hurt my state to prove what an ideologue i am!" and the gay rights bill is impressive in that just 10 years ago, you could not even imagine such a bill. now it gets majority support.

seems like a lot of these issues, people are just over having them be politicized.

incredible to see how people have shifted on a lot of these issues. death penalty is stupid because it is morally wrong, but if you do not care about that, it is not cost-effective. expanding medicaid is a no-brainer unless you have national political aspirations and want to say, "i hurt my state to prove what an ideologue i am!" and the gay rights bill is impressive in that just 10 years ago, you could not even imagine such a bill. now it gets majority support.

seems like a lot of these issues, people are just over having them be politicized.

That statement holds a lot of truth. I wish there were lots more in that category.

It doesn't seem coincidental that the states with the least population to govern have the most perceived trust, and I suspect that money in politics has a lot to do with that. Money has always been a weapon to poison the operation of normal democratic process or otherwise distort the notion of majority rule. In that regard, I also suspect that the recent scotus decision to allow donations to an unlimited number of persons will have a staggeringly negative effect on the state and local level.