Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

In regards to this statement, what do you say to players such as Eric Crouch or Colin Klein who provide value that far exceeds the scholarship they receive in college but have skillsets that don't translate to the professional game?

Eric Crouch didn't score a bigtime NFL deal, but he has certainly been able to sustain himself based on his fame and name with opportunities that others would not have had. His college experience and education gave him that. Not everyone is able to maximize their post college earnings based on what they hoped to do.

And in regards to the college experience providing opportunities they might not have otherwise had, that's certainly true. However, that doesn't mean that they haven't earned more money than the scholarship covers. Think of it like this - if you're working at a job that's providing you opportunities to develop skills that will allow you to obtain a higher paying job elsewhere down the road, does that mean that you don't deserve to be compensated by your current employer? Or that your salary provided by your current employer should be capped?

These players are being compensated. What's the value of a college scholarship. And if I was at a job that didn't pay me well enough, an unpaid internship for example, I'd have to decide if that experience was worth it in lieu of the lack of money. Doesn't every college student do that every time they go to class instead of dropping out to get a paying job? And if my employer can find equal value for lesser or equal pay with a different worker without having to retain me or give me a raise, they can do that. Employers do that all the time. Sucks for the employee, but that's the way it works.

• Fire 1

Think of it like this - if you're working at a job that's providing you opportunities to develop skills that will allow you to obtain a higher paying job elsewhere down the road, does that mean that you don't deserve to be compensated by your current employer? Or that your salary provided by your current employer should be capped?

1. I must have missed the part where players didn't get anything in exchange for playing football.

2. Every company in the world does this.

In regards to this statement, what do you say to players such as Eric Crouch or Colin Klein who provide value that far exceeds the scholarship they receive in college but have skillsets that don't translate to the professional game?

Eric Crouch has made himself a career because of being the Heisman trophy winning quarterback at Nebraska.

Matt Davison? He's made a pretty decent living over one damn catch. And let's face, if he doesnt catch that kicked ball, he's selling insurance in Tecumseh right now. Simple as that. So nobody should give me this "he couldnt play pro, he needs to be paid in college" sob story. You get an education. If that aint good enough, then dont play. The schools and/or NCAA will just bring the next man up in line.

Pretty much like that in life I think. If your good enough, you do well. Not so good, maybe food stamps. Although attitude had a lot to do with Crouch not playing in the NFL. He seemed to always have the I will pull up my panties and leave style for me. Good college player, just not the team attitude we have seen around here.

jared lorenzen@JaredLorenzen22 19h

I'll tell u what the NCAA really lucked out that I don't have any eligibility left.

classic

Exactly.

U only "get" 4-5 yrs to capaitlize on a free education, room and board, swag, adoration, free travel and health care, tutoring, access to parties, social life, in roads to Job opportunities, swag, bowl games, life experience, etc etc.

If he had any eligibility left he could take advatage of that and get more of the same. Or, he could fight for shorter practices and an extra 4k a yr.

yea!!!!

The biggest misconception in this whole debate is that the players should only care about what they need. This debate should really be about what they deserve. Everyone in the US could survive on a $20,000/year salary - that's all they need. However, because people have skillsets that allow them to generate revenue in excess of that amount, they are compensated with money above and beyond what they need; that is, they are paid what the deserve based on the economic value they provide to their employer.

What someone needs is irrelevant when determining the compensation they receive for the work they put in. You pay them what they deserve based upon the supply and demand forces in the economy. Bringing that back to how college football players should be compensated at Nebraska, it's clear that they've earned more than they currently receive. This is easily demonstrated by looking at the profit generated by the football program, as well as the athletic department as a whole. If college athletics were allowed to be a truly free market, there is no doubt that the football players at Nebraska would earn more than the scholarships they currently receive. However, of course, when the NCAA and other institutions must be considered and that's when things get complicated.

In summary, I encourage you all to think not of what the players need, but what they have earned and deserve based upon the value generated by the work they do.

Why should they have to? College athletics are a billion dollar industry. Plenty of money right there.

And you think all that money is just pocketed? You know they spend money to make the players wanna be there too right? Whether it's facilities, coaches players want, other sports that aren't as popular to watch and root for but are just as important. The money is needed (not all, mind you. But then again the players already get excess from beyond just their tuition) to keep the university going. So basically just because person A is more athletically gifted than person B, that person A deserves more and person B should have to work twice as hard to stay afloat in college only to be in massive debt once they're done? Talk about labeling. Who knew genes still dictate someone's place in the world....

Glad to see you've discovered how capitalism works. If you don't like it, perhaps the United States isn't the place for you.

The team doesn't generate profit, it generates revenue. This helps pay for scholarships, facilities, staff, academics, among other things.

Do day student athletes are not compensated misses out on everything they get that the normal paying student doesn't get.

Should they be paid? No, as it would put smaller schools at a major disadvantage (unless the NCAA is cutting the checks). Should they be allowed to work in a job like all other students? Sure. But it is because of student athletes taking high paying no-show jobs from boosters that the rules exist as they are.

There is plenty of time after college to make money, and for some it will be a lot of money.

But I see these kids with tattoos that now days cost a lot of money, someone is paying for these, and I do not see many without them. If they can afford sleeves of tattoos, they have plenty of money for food is my guess. They have lived sheltered lives due to their athletic ability, I really do not think many are roughing it through college like non athletes do.

Exactly. I'd like to see an audit of Kenny's account. I bet it's easy to find a few bucks every month for the burger he's crying about missing out on.

Your kidding right! :dunno

Here is where this is taking me.

If this is just about giving the players a voice to protect them with health insurance and disability.....great.

If this is about getting paid their piece of the pie then my attitude becomes much more SEC like.

Produce or hit the road and make room for the next guy.

If we are paying for you to be here thousands of dollars on top of tuition, room, board, fancy facilities, training table, tutors, travel expenses, TVs in the toilet, video games, iPads, pool tables, doctors, trainers......etc.

Then produce. If you are now an employee, then if you aren't excelling at your job then there probably is a high school kid behind you that will.

That is very different than the attitude I have always had with college athletes. But, if that's how they want it.

• Fire 5

I don't like the idea of paying a wage because there is no end in cheating by cheaters. NCAA NEED TO LEVEL THE FIELD by having all players receive the same amount under the same conditions.

Cover medial costs after his university playing days. An a allowance, size rated on being a first team, second team player etc issued by the Ncaa. This would end the union movement. I have no doubt that some teams are paying player now so level the field.

Produce or hit the road and make room for the next guy.

If we are paying for you to be here thousands of dollars on top of tuition, room, board, fancy facilities, training table, tutors, travel expenses, TVs in the toilet, video games, iPads, pool tables, doctors, trainers......etc.

Then produce. If you are now an employee, then if you aren't excelling at your job then there probably is a high school kid behind you that will.

That is very different than the attitude I have always had with college athletes. But, if that's how they want it.

I think this is a very real part of it that these guys just aren't considering.

If you want to get paid like you're an NFL player, then prepare to get your ass cut if you're not performing up to snuff.

My solution/ compromise and i dont think its a bad one, is since the players cannot work because of there schedules and that does take from there ability to get money, is to pay the players of ALL NCAA college teams the states minimum wage for 40 hours a week. That would restrict the AMOUNT we pay play players it would all be set by laws of state. and the players will have plenty of money for all extra living cost they need. opinions?

My solution/ compromise and i dont think its a bad one, is since the players cannot work because of there schedules and that does take from there ability to get money, is to pay the players of ALL NCAA college teams the states minimum wage for 40 hours a week. That would restrict the AMOUNT we pay play players it would all be set by laws of state. and the players will have plenty of money for all extra living cost they need. opinions?

I really think this would be the fair solution because it would restrict teams to pay players depending on amount of revenue school brings in, and completely screw up recruiting and making it top heavy and benifiting the power schools.