Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

Let's call minimum wage $10/hr. At 40 hours, this is 400/week, or $20,800 over 52 weeks -- and student-athletes are not 'working' for all 52 weeks of the year.

That doesn't even come close to their current level of compensation and probably doesn't cover room and board over the course of a school year.

...and that's not figuring taxes into the equation.

First off Zoogies I love your insight, and your one of my favorite posters on here just wanted to let you know that... But i should have clarified more, I believe they should get this money on top of their full ride and meal plans. I dont know about doing it year round maybe just during the school year and or season. I think it would be as good of solution as we could have, just because it does give them some spending money that they cannot get due to their busy schedules and I believe NCAA regulations. But it sets the bar on what will be paid out and makes the amount consistant.

But I do have to admit when you break down the numbers thats alot of money per player, at 20,800 per player, one football team alone would cost a fortune. Thats why maybe doing this during the season when they are most busy would be best. Its just an idea but I think it would be alot better of solution than turning CFB into the NFL.

First off Zoogies I love your insight, and your one of my favorite posters on here just wanted to let you know that... But i should have clarified more, I believe they should get this money on top of their full ride and meal plans. I dont know about doing it year round maybe just during the school year and or season. I think it would be as good of solution as we could have, just because it does give them some spending money that they cannot get due to their busy schedules and I believe NCAA regulations. But it sets the bar on what will be paid out and makes the amount consistant.

But I do have to admit when you break down the numbers thats alot of money per player, at 20,800 per player, one football team alone would cost a fortune. Thats why maybe doing this during the season when they are most busy would be best. Its just an idea but I think it would be alot better of solution than turning CFB into the NFL.

suck up. suck up.

suck up. suck up.

Lol no not sucking up, just been reading post on here for to long without getting in action myself and i really like how active and insightful he and alot of others are on here!

How do you all feel about giving the players a cut of jersey sales?

Thats a tough one. Id have to say i dont agree with it. But i will say this, When someone buys a husker shirt, hat, jacket, ect they are paying for the "Husker brand" in general not anybody specific. But when someone buys a #80 bell jersey, and has a fro wig on head they are obviously paying for it to support KB. It isnt really fair that Adidas or whoever rakes off him directly but i know giving players money for jerseys would just open up a GIANT can of worms so im saying no.

How do you all feel about giving the players a cut of jersey sales?

Mixed. Not every player on the team sells jerseys, and not all schools sell jerseys to the extent of other schools (which is fine--if you're okay with another built in advantage for the bigger schools). But because not every player on the team sells jerseys, you're faced with two options:

1) You split it evenly among players. Assuming an average of $59,000 in jersey sales divided by 85 players, that's a whopping $694 per player (which, if they're going to spend it on tattoo's--Kenny Bell--isn't quite enough to pay for a sleeve or a tattoo of that magnitude). But that equal split could lend itself to perceptions of unfairness by some of the players. Ameer might've sold $12,000 of jerseys, why should Jared Blum even be receiving $694 when he clearly doesn't sell anywhere near that dollar amount? Whether or not that feeling of unfairness is made public, just the thought of it is going to alter the team dynamic.

2) You give the jersey money to the player who sells jerseys. Ameer would receive $12,000; but in a movement that is emphasizing fairness for all (football and men's basketball) athletes, isn't this a little bit of a contradiction?

That's if the $59,000 in jersey sales is only from football, not including walk-ons, and with 100% of the profit going to the players.

Have to say, I'm surprised the number is so low.

I am a little...but not just shocked.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the school doesn't sell jerseys. They sell the rights for someone else to make jerseys and sell them. So, if you wanted to make/sell Husker football jerseys, you would pay a fee to the athletic department for that right.

Did someone seriously suggest we give student-athletes a 40 hours per week salary on top of their full scholarship and meals and benefits :facepalm:

This is what I don't get either. The value of a scholarship is huge, add to that the free meals, books, etc. and you have to figure they are making $30-70K per year minimum depending on the school you go to. I think that the NCAA needs to fund the true full cost of education, which their recent changes to the meal plan helps address, but I don't know if a full salary on top of that package is the way to go. When they get out of college they will be in for a shock when they start to make LESS than what they were in college, especially since they will be picking up the tab for housing, utilities, taxes, food, etc. I do think they should get some sort of additional cash stipend though.