Kenny Bell and NCAA Reform

What bothers me about this subject is that players are choosing to play. If they want their money, quit and get a job. They are getting more reimberssment in intagables AND money than the some arbitrarily high percentage of students, scholarship or not. I made it through 4 years of college and 4 years of post grad living on quite a bit less than $1300 a month they get, and residency on next to nothing. I trained to kickbox/fight competitively (about 3-4 hours a day) and still managed to get my 6000+ calories a day in my budget without free food or supplements. Managed to go out to a movie, grab a beer, go out every once and while etc Sorry but I have absolutely no sympathy for it. Some (definitely not all) wouldn't even be in a university otherwise let alone passing. They are getting a degree which they might not have obtained or at least paving their way to a future in sports. Are they making millions for the university? Sure...that's what pays for their food, their jerseys, their brand new cleats, and gear, and sweatshirts etc etc etc. I did research for my university that helped bring in millions of dollars in grants. Paid? Nope. Bitch about it? Nope, its called putting in your time in your field of choice.

• Fire 5

What bothers me about this subject is that players are choosing to play. If they want their money, quit and get a job. They are getting more reimberssment in intagables AND money than the some arbitrarily high percentage of students, scholarship or not. I made it through 4 years of college and 4 years of post grad living on quite a bit less than $1300 a month they get, and residency on next to nothing. I trained to kickbox/fight competitively (about 3-4 hours a day) and still managed to get my 6000+ calories a day in my budget without free food or supplements. Managed to go out to a movie, grab a beer, go out every once and while etc Sorry but I have absolutely no sympathy for it. Some (definitely not all) wouldn't even be in a university otherwise let alone passing. They are getting a degree which they might not have obtained or at least paving their way to a future in sports. Are they making millions for the university? Sure...that's what pays for their food, their jerseys, their brand new cleats, and gear, and sweatshirts etc etc etc. I did research for my university that helped bring in millions of dollars in grants. Paid? Nope. Bitch about it? Nope, its called putting in your time in your field of choice.

I love this. Exactly my thinking on the topic! If football is such a burden Kenny, then don't play. Nobody is forcing you to go to practice or play on Saturday. They just don't know how good they have it.

So this might've been done already, but I'm not going to go ahead and look through 5 pages of thread to see--I'm much too lazy. So let's compare the perks and spending habits of Joe Student and a football player since they seem to be the group making the most amount of noise.

If Joe Student wants to go see an away game, they have to pay for travel expense (let's just go with $175), hotel expense ($150), food ($50), tickets ($100), and miscellaneous ($50). That's $525 that your football athlete doesn't have to spend, and that ignores that they travel much better than Joe Student (flying instead of driving).

If Joe Student wants to eat and be as physical fit as your football athlete, they have to pay for a gym membership ($120 a year(unsure about this figure)), supplements ($150 a year(again unsure)), and the proper foods to get a proper nutrition ($750 a year(again unsure)). That's $1020 a year that your football athlete doesn't have to spend, and that ignores the fact that they have a world class training facility and nutritionists and trainers that help them out.

If Joe Student wants to wear the same clothing as your football athlete, they have to pay for the shoes ($80), shirts ($20-30 a pop), sweats ($30), backpack ($45), and Beats ($130--do they receive these from the uni or not?). That's $310 that your football athlete doesn't have to spend, and that ignores the fact that they get more than one (besides backpack and Beats) of these.

If Joe Student needs tutoring, he has to pay for it ($15/hour, 10 hours a month = $150, over the course of 4 months that equals $600/semester). That's $600 that your football player doesn't have to spend.

Those are the four examples that come to mind right now, and they together total an arbitrary $2435 that they don't spend that Joe Student does. All of that ignores tuition, room and board, and books, three things that are far more expensive than the examples listed above.

So it's hard for me to sympathize with the "plight of the student athlete" when I see them complaining about not having money while at the same time tweeting pictures of tattoos that cost in the hundreds of dollars. Is it really the university's fault that athletes "go starving at night" when the athletes themselves are recklessly spending their dollars they receive from simply being a student athlete?

I understand that the current rules and regulations of the NCAA with regards to student athletes are overbearing. There definitely needs to be some rethink in the way things are currently being done. But to pretend that your football athlete is being unjustly treated is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

So this might've been done already, but I'm not going to go ahead and look through 5 pages of thread to see--I'm much too lazy. So let's compare the perks and spending habits of Joe Student and a football player since they seem to be the group making the most amount of noise.

If Joe Student wants to go see an away game, they have to pay for travel expense (let's just go with $175), hotel expense ($150), food ($50), tickets ($100), and miscellaneous ($50). That's $525 that your football athlete doesn't have to spend, and that ignores that they travel much better than Joe Student (flying instead of driving).

If Joe Student wants to eat and be as physical fit as your football athlete, they have to pay for a gym membership ($120 a year(unsure about this figure)), supplements ($150 a year(again unsure)), and the proper foods to get a proper nutrition ($750 a year(again unsure)). That's $1020 a year that your football athlete doesn't have to spend, and that ignores the fact that they have a world class training facility and nutritionists and trainers that help them out.

If Joe Student wants to wear the same clothing as your football athlete, they have to pay for the shoes ($80), shirts ($20-30 a pop), sweats ($30), backpack ($45), and Beats ($130--do they receive these from the uni or not?). That's $310 that your football athlete doesn't have to spend, and that ignores the fact that they get more than one (besides backpack and Beats) of these.

If Joe Student needs tutoring, he has to pay for it ($15/hour, 10 hours a month = $150, over the course of 4 months that equals $600/semester). That's $600 that your football player doesn't have to spend.

Those are the four examples that come to mind right now, and they together total an arbitrary $2435 that they don't spend that Joe Student does. All of that ignores tuition, room and board, and books, three things that are far more expensive than the examples listed above.

So it's hard for me to sympathize with the "plight of the student athlete" when I see them complaining about not having money while at the same time tweeting pictures of tattoos that cost in the hundreds of dollars. Is it really the university's fault that athletes "go starving at night" when the athletes themselves are recklessly spending their dollars they receive from simply being a student athlete?

I understand that the current rules and regulations of the NCAA with regards to student athletes are overbearing. There definitely needs to be some rethink in the way things are currently being done. But to pretend that your football athlete is being unjustly treated is a bit over the top, in my opinion.

Perhaps more elequently put than my ramble, and you include actual examples...well said though. All this talk about flying families to games? Paying for students to go home? Are you kidding me? My sister pays $600 for plane tickets every holiday, and is a full academic scholarship at marquette. Where's her reimburssment?

the only argument that I hold valid is some type of better medical care rather than just immediate injuries and rehab. I'm talking in regards to concussions etc.

Football players bring in a lot of money for the university. It is not just revenue from football either, but look how much a successful team can mean for future enrollment. They showed how Alabama has almost doubled out of state enrollment since Saban took over the program. Is that because Alabama became a better school. Nope. It is to be a part of something special at a university. Now they become a better institution because they be more selective on their enrollment. Football players do a lot for their universities and I would be all for giving them a stipend. It just bothers me that people who have no idea what a college athlete goes through calls them out. They do a lot for their universities so compensate them a little.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanriper/2013/05/13/the-magic-of-nick-saban-everyone-wants-to-go-to-alabama/

• Fire 1

You have to stop thinking how much it's costing you to attend UNL, but how much money is made off the football player for UNL versus their cost. That's why they would like more and should get more.

No, I don't. How much it costs to attend UNL should be included in the talk because that is part of what they are receiving by playing for the Huskers. And I think what should be mentioned that hasn't been talked about (except maybe once by MOHusker) is the fact that athletes generate revenue not necessarily profit

You have to stop thinking how much it's costing you to attend UNL, but how much money is made off the football player for UNL versus their cost. That's why they would like more and should get more.

No, I don't. How much it costs to attend UNL should be included in the talk because that is part of what they are receiving by playing for the Huskers. And I think what should be mentioned that hasn't been talked about (except maybe once by MOHusker) is the fact that athletes generate revenue not necessarily profit

I have asked this question many times and I never can get an answer.

According to a Forbes.com report, the Nebraska Cornhuskers are valued at $80 million, making them the nation’s 10th most valuable college football team.

Forbes cites revenue of $56 million for Nebraska, as well as $35 million in profits. The placement is one spot higher than the team’s finish on the 2012 list, when NU was 11th with lower revenue ($55 million) but a higher value ($82 million) and profits ($36 million).

http://sports.omaha.com/2013/12/30/nebraska-10th-among-college-footballs-most-valuable-teams/

So divide that by scholarship players.

They absolutely generate profit at Nebraska. According to Forbes, the football team generated $35 million in profit last year. Sure, much of that went to subsidize other sports within the athletic department. However, according to USA Today, even after all expenses, the athletic department has turned a profit every year from 2005-2012.

Numbers in millions

Year...Rev...Exp...Profit

2012 - 81.6-77.0 = $4.6

2011 - 83.7-81.9 = $1.8

2010 - 73.5-71.7 = $1.8

2009 - 74.9-70.5 = $4.4

2008 - 75.5-75.0 = $0.5

2007 - 70.8-65.4 = $5.4

2006 - 63.7-61.7 = $2.0

2005 - 55.9-55.7 = $0.2

Sure, this isn't the case at every school. Far from it. But to say that they don't generate profit is nothing more than a false statement.

It's a small but important distinction that needs to be made (and hopefully understood). Universities do not profit from college athletics. Most universities lose money, some break even, some make enough revenue to bring back and improve the university itself.

They absolutely generate profit at Nebraska. According to Forbes, the football team generated $35 million in profit last year. Sure, much of that went to subsidize other sports within the athletic department. However, according to USA Today, even after all expenses, the athletic department has turned a profit every year from 2005-2012.

Numbers in millions

Year...Rev...Exp...Profit

2012 - 81.6-77.0 = $4.6

2011 - 83.7-81.9 = $1.8

2010 - 73.5-71.7 = $1.8

2009 - 74.9-70.5 = $4.4

2008 - 75.5-75.0 = $0.5

2007 - 70.8-65.4 = $5.4

2006 - 63.7-61.7 = $2.0

2005 - 55.9-55.7 = $0.2

Sure, this isn't the case at every school. Far from it. But to say that they don't generate profit is nothing more than a false statement.

This third class still isn't considered profit, as the extra revenue from athletics is used for other things. it isn't profit in the sense you think of. The team profits, but the University itself DOES NOT PROFIT. It uses the extra revenue from athletics.

Nebraska is one of the lucky few that makes more than it spends, and has used that to build amazing facilities for players, fans, and students. Literally everyone wins.

Honestly I think all of this could be avoided if the NBA and NFL would create an MLB like minor system for players to go into if they want to make money instead of going to college. It would provide a route for those who want to be paid, while keeping college sports in the status quo.

• Fire 1