The 2014 Grilling Thread

It's nearing respectable temps here in Nebraska, and that means High Grilling Season is about to take off. While grilling is a year-round exercise, there's nothing quite like warm weather, a hot grill and a beer in a koozie to make a guy appreciate life's great wonders.

I'm going to start this thread by pimping one of my favorite websites: AmazingRibs.com. If you don't know this website yet, get familiar with it now. It'll change your life.

Tonight I started with something simple: Simon & Garfunkel Chicken. It's a blend of herbs from the Simon & Garfunkel song

The rub:

Ingredients

1 tablespoon dried crushed parsley

2 tablespoons dried crushed sage

1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary

1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme

1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano

1 tablespoon dried crushed basil

1 tablespoon dried crushed bay leaf

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon sugar

Mix it all up in a bowl, and boom. Done.

For my meal I used maybe one tablespoon on some legs & thighs, my favorite parts of the chicken. I lightly oiled my parts, then put them on direct heat at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, then indirect heat for maybe another ten minutes. I ended up with crisp, slightly charred pieces with a nice golden crust. I tossed on a tbsp of the rub, then allowed it to cool while I made some potatoes & gravy and a salad. Finished with a touch of salt on the chicken and served.

This rub lasts for ages. I think I've had about 1/2 a cup of this stuff in my spice cabinet for going on a year, and it's still great today. 4/5 stars. Would definitely make again.

It's nearing respectable temps here in Nebraska, and that means High Grilling Season is about to take off. While grilling is a year-round exercise, there's nothing quite like warm weather, a hot grill and a beer in a koozie to make a guy appreciate life's great wonders.

I'm going to start this thread by pimping one of my favorite websites: AmazingRibs.com. If you don't know this website yet, get familiar with it now. It'll change your life.

Tonight I started with something simple: Simon & Garfunkel Chicken. It's a blend of herbs from the Simon & Garfunkel song

The rub:

Ingredients

1 tablespoon dried crushed parsley

2 tablespoons dried crushed sage

1 tablespoon dried crushed rosemary

1 tablespoon dried crushed thyme

1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano

1 tablespoon dried crushed basil

1 tablespoon dried crushed bay leaf

1 tablespoon ground black pepper

1 tablespoon sugar

Mix it all up in a bowl, and boom. Done.

For my meal I used maybe one tablespoon on some legs & thighs, my favorite parts of the chicken. I lightly oiled my parts, then put them on direct heat at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, then indirect heat for maybe another ten minutes. I ended up with crisp, slightly charred pieces with a nice golden crust. I tossed on a tbsp of the rub, then allowed it to cool while I made some potatoes & gravy and a salad. Finished with a touch of salt on the chicken and served.

This rub lasts for ages. I think I've had about 1/2 a cup of this stuff in my spice cabinet for going on a year, and it's still great today. 4/5 stars. Would definitely make again.

Is this where I say I never stopped grilling out here?

But in all seriousness I've been cast iron cooking as of late. Awesome.

• Fire 1

Last night I grilled rib eyes for my wife's birthday with a chimichuri sauce.

One bunch parsley

8 cloves garlic

3/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

3 TBS lemon juice

1 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tea spoon cayenne pepper

Put in food processor and pulls till blended.

The family absolutely loves this stuff. The great thing is that this makes enough that I now will use it as a marinade on chicken for the grill sometime later this week.

It is really good on a marinated flank steak too.

Oh...yes...I went with grilled green beans too.

Rub I use is below...makes a decent amount.

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup kosher salt

3/4 cup brown sugar

5 1/2 tablespoon chili powder

2 1/2 tablespoon cumin

4 teaspoons of each:

black pepper

onion powder

garlic powder

cayenne

I also want some tips on grilling the beans...I make mine on the oven by cooking 5 slices of chopped bacon - add 1/2 chopped onion, saute onion in grease

add 4 cans of greenbeans bring to boil with 3/4 cup of rib rub from above.

Oh...yes...I went with grilled green beans too.

How do you grill your green beans? Any tips/tricks?

I have simplified my recipe and find people like it just as much as what I used to do. I drizzle the beans with olive oil and then sprinkle with BBQ seasoning. I use the Memphis Dust on Amazingribs.com (minus the ground rosemary because I can't find it anywhere) on everything pork or chicken and so I also use it on asparagus and green beans.

I have grates on my grill that if I turn them over, they are flat so that gives me a good surface to grill them just enough so they are a little charred.

Pretty dang easy and everyone loves them. In the winter or if your grill is full of other stuff, you can also do this under the broiler in the oven.

Only use fresh green beans.

Grilled up a couple of t-bones . . . getting to the end of the quarter of beef that I bought awhile back.

Santa Maria seasoning, Weber gas (I know, I know) on high direct heat. 3.5 minutes on the first side. 4 minutes on the second side.

Served with a side of asparagus with a fried egg on top. Tasty.

BRB, that doesn't sound dissimilar to how I grill asparagus. I marinate them in oil and an acid, either balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, or sometimes just Italian Dressing, then dump them on a very hot grill. There's a fun fireball, and when that dies down I turn them over so there's a slight char on all sides. It takes maybe one minute on the grill.

I'll try the green beans on the grill. I've grilled quite a few veggies, including broccoli (same method as the asparagus), and pretty much everything has turned out great. I'll put the beans in my grill pan:

DLsMSMO.jpg