The cooking tips & tricks thread

Thanks guys!

I use my belt sander to sharpen. I also have a leather strop to keep the edge sharp. I don't have to do more that a few passes on the strop to keep it sharp for a long time, I don't think I've resharpened it on the belt sander for a few months now.

I test my edges using newspaper and phonebook paper, I find it to be the most consistent and it's easy to see if there are any imperfections in the edge.

Three-way stone sharpener, as in, it has three different levels of grit/grind? Coarse, medium & fine, I'm guessing?

Yes, If I was saavy enough to post pics I would. They carry them at restaurant supply stores. 3 different levels of coarsness and they rotate on a base filled with oil. I test the sharpness by bending my wrist down and shaving hairs off the area.

Depending on the customer I try not to test the edge over their food! lol :lol:

Now I'm curious and I've run across this. Lifehacker forums said this is a pretty good product. Anyone have any experience with this kind of sharpener?

http://www.amazon.co...sharp+sharpener

I've never used one configured like that. But from looking at it, the sharpener dictates the edge of the grind. I like to keep the edge that's best for the hardness of the steel and the manufacturers specs.

I like to keep the angle of my edges between 24 and 32 degrees. I have a couple of Henckels that steel better at a 20 degree angle though.

Once again it boils down to knife characteristics and if you're steeling at the same angle on each side.

Aparently there are some aristocrats out there that can't appreciate a good milksteak, so I'll throw out a couple other suggestions.

Everybody should own a rice cooker, it will cook your rice perfect and is easy as boiling water. Also, the only rice a person should ever eat is Jasmine and Basmatti, if you eat Uncle Bens rice are any of that parboiled crap take a lap.

Also, a hefty amount of Sriracha should be applied to every food no matter what it is. The greatest dipping sauce in the world is equal parts mayo and Sriracha, if you dip pizza in this you will see the world in a different light.

MAKE EVERY PASTA DISH BETTER WITH BECHAMEL SAUCE.

how to make:

In a medium size pot, melt a stick of butter or so on medium heat.

Add a half cup or whatever of flour.

Stir and beat that sh#t like you're mad at it.

Add a pint of half and half.

Stir again and ask yourself "What the f#*k NUPolo8? This is runny and nasty and I don't know what we are do--oh holy crap it just instantly got thick and smells awesome"

Dump a tub of ricotta cheese in and stir until you are as angry as I am.

Apply to bold flavors.

Drink IPA's with your meal.

Make a note to work out tomorrow.

Window into NUpolo8's world complete.

Aparently there are some aristocrats out there that can't appreciate a good milksteak, so I'll throw out a couple other suggestions.

Everybody should own a rice cooker, it will cook your rice perfect and is easy as boiling water. Also, the only rice a person should ever eat is Jasmine and Basmatti, if you eat Uncle Bens rice are any of that parboiled crap take a lap.

Also, a hefty amount of Sriracha should be applied to every food no matter what it is. The greatest dipping sauce in the world is equal parts mayo and Sriracha, if you dip pizza in this you will see the world in a different light.

You will eat Calrose rice or you will die in a fire.

how to make:

Stir again and ask yourself "What the f#*k NUPolo8? This is runny and nasty and I don't know what we are do--oh holy crap it just instantly got thick and smells awesome"

Apply to bold flavors.

Almost done. Sautee a few tiny diced onion in the butter first. Add a little nutmeg ( not much ) black pepper. All white sauces need either white or black pepper.

Omit the ricotta for grated Parmesan and voila' Alfredo sauce.

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

how to make:

Apply to bold flavors.

Almost done. Sautee a few tiny diced onion in the butter first. Add a little nutmeg ( not much ) black pepper. All white sauces need either white or black pepper.

Omit the ricotta for grated Parmesan and voila' Alfredo sauce.

Sounds great, but if I may...

Replace the Parm with some smoked Gruyere, pour over open faced turkey sammich, lightly toast under broiler. Add fried egg if desired.

Best brunch ever (besides Eggs Benedict).