The unofficial stranded on a deserted island music survey

Ok here's the deal, you're stranded on a deserted island but you have a kick ass sound system. The catch? You have to choose what music you'll have available to listen to. You must make these 3 choices;

1- Five groups or musicians. You get their whole catalog of songs.

2- Five other songs. You get any and all versions of these songs.

3- One genre, except these 5 (Rock, Country, Alternative, Hip Hop/Rap, & Pop) cannot be chosen.

Please pick your 5 & 5 before adding the genre. Imagine that you might not get your genre...

Some examples of a genre; Reggae, Blues, Classical, Dance, Electronic, Folk, Jazz, R&B/Soul, Holiday, Inspirational, Christian, World, etc.

I thought this might generate some much needed off season, non-football related, discussion. The rationale for your choices can be anything you want it to be and preferably should be explained. I'll start.

5 Groups

AC/DC

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Led Zeppelin

Rush

Pink Floyd

5 Songs

Stranglehold- Ted Nugent

If you want to get to heaven- Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Love Shack- B-52's

Knockin on Heavens Door- Guns N roses, Dylan, etc.

Amazing Grace (There may not be any other single song that has so many possible versions...)

1 Genre- Classical. This was a really tough choice. Almost went with Blues.

• Fire 2

1. Kanye West, Avenged Sevenfold, John Williams, Kendrick Lamar, and Eminem.

2. Mr. Rager by Kid Cudi, We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel, Some Nights by Fun, Strong Will Continue by Nas and Damian Marley, and Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly.

3. I'm not really sure what the question is.

1. Josh Ritter, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Johnny Cash, Nick Cave

2. Pancho & Lefty by Townes van Zandt, Just Breathe by Pearl Jam, Love Reign O'er Me by The Who, Don't Think Twice, It's All Right by Bob Dylan, Don't Be a Stranger by Blitzen Trapper

3. Classical

I am absolutely kicking myself for not picking Johnny Cash :bang Good one.

Five Groups

The Cure

Pink Floyd

U2

REM

The Police

Five Songs

Boys of Summer - Don Henley

Bound for the Floor - Local H

Savior - Rise Against

Money for Nothing - Dire Straits

Noah's Ark - Marit Peters

Genre

Classical

Picking five songs was pretty tough. Could have added about 25 more choices and it would have been a little easier.

Rage Against the Machine just missed the cut, as did The Beatles and a couple other bands. Classical music was pretty easy as a genre. So much music to choose from, so evocative, so easy to listen to. I have about two dozen CDs ripped onto my MP3 player and I just let them roll all day sometimes. Oddly, though I quite like the music, I barely know the names of any pieces. It's just music, but I like it.

Picking five songs was pretty tough. Could have added about 25 more choices and it would have been a little easier.

Rage Against the Machine just missed the cut, as did The Beatles and a couple other bands. Classical music was pretty easy as a genre. So much music to choose from, so evocative, so easy to listen to. I have about two dozen CDs ripped onto my MP3 player and I just let them roll all day sometimes. Oddly, though I quite like the music, I barely know the names of any pieces. It's just music, but I like it.

Yeah, I thought it was all tough, five groups, five songs, one genre..... I love most types of music so limiting it is tough. I decided to not think on it too hard though. Just kind of a quick shoot from the hip list for me. Classical as a genre probably is a little too easy. The catalog on that one is endless.

Whoa!? Dude put Kanye West on his list? Yowza.......

1. Stone Temple Pilots

2. Audioslave

3. Pearl Jam

4. Smashing Pumpkins

5. Clutch

1. Queensryche- Silent Lucidity

2. Nirvana- Man Who Sold the World

3. Disturbed - Prayer

4. Sponge- Plowed

5. Fuel- Shimmer

Oops......I said alternative, didn't read that too well. I guess I'd say reggae. Good upbeat music.

My five songs are off the top of my head, I'm not doing somebody justice right now and may have to change that list.

Hard not to put Pink Floyd and The Who on my list......damn I hate difficult decisions.

Made some changes already. I like the thread. People bringing up some good music. I'm kind of a hardcore music lover. It's actually a real passion of mine.

• Fire 1

Clutch is a good pick for the first list since they have a lot of music, and every single song is good*. They're one of the most consistent bands out there.

As for Johnny Cash, I determined that most of my favorite songs of his fall under Folk. ^_^

*I worry what you just heard was "they have a lot of good songs". What I said was "every single song is good".

Oh, your list was serious. I was certain Kanye and Avenged Sevenfold had to be jokes.

Which is fine. To each their own. I just don't want to be near HeyBurke Island.

I'm 22. Grew up listening to classic rock and hip-hop. Sorry if my musical tastes don't fit your liking. Did you also notice the fact that I had John Williams on that list? Anyway, the feel is mutual for all of you guys filling your lists with nothing but classic rock and country. I have no problem with it, but I'd want to be far from you.