Ralph Brown says Pelini needs to build better bridge with ex players

Ralph is sounding like a drama queen a little with this. I am pretty sure he would be welcomed if he showed up to watch practice or even visit. A couple of guys I know that played for Callahan and never for Bo have said many times that they will go watch practice or even show up at the facilities and watch the guys lift or just bs with them. They said that they have never felt unwelcomed while being there and like how things are being ran.

On one hand Ralph Browns complaint seems a bit out of place. His take on former players being welcomed does not seem to jive with a lot of other information we think we know. On the other hand, none of us can totally discredit his claim and I'm sure not going to say he's full of it. Apparently, for Ralph, something isn't quite right and that should cause us to pay attention. I won't compare Bo to BC but it is valid to not sweep a claim like this from a former player under the rug. Imo, the most damaging thing BC did was destroy those bridges to our history and former players. As out of place as Ralphs current claims seem to be, they simply can't be ignored. Hopefully they can be refuted into oblivion but, they can't be ignored.

I''m not gonna read through all this so I apologize if this has been said already. I just wanna get this point made. Ralph Brown played under Osborne and Solich, before Bo Pelini. Callahan and Pedersen tore the house down and created the lockdown type atmostphere. I feel Bo has repaired it. I'm sorry that former players like Ralph feel, or may feel, this way, but he didnt ever play under Bo. And there's plenty of guys that did that claim the opposite of what Ralph is referring to. I dont have a problem with it if Bo, intended or not, is basically just reaching out to guys that have played under him. It would be nice to see him do it more widespread, but I dont have a problem that he doesnt. Ralph played his senior season at Nebraska 8 years before Bo Pelini was named head coach, and 5 years before the environment of the program was changed forever. Sadly, it's seriously never gonna be the same. But maybe Ralph could also do a little more to reach out to the program? Maybe he could meet the staff halfway? Does Bo have time to sit down and call/email/text/skype/snapchat/etc/Etc/ETC EVERY single former player?

Well at least this is a one time thing. It would be wholly another thing if Bo had publicly turned away one of the most storied Nebraska Quarterbacks of all time after he expressed frustration after yet another embarassing loss. I mean, THAT would be Callahan terrotory.

This isn't anything an orange tabby can't fix, I'm guessing.

If that storied quarterback's legacy hadnt been completely overshadowed by the fact that he is a total arrogant, dooshbag dickwad a-hole prick, then that might actually matter. Bo only did and said about Tommie what 95% are and always have thought of him off the field. We dont need Tommie. That's what Bo said. Why? Because we dont.

• Fire 1

Does anyone remember last year's spring game? The Zack Wiegerts and Brendan Stais out there catching punts for fun? Or this year? All the former players on the sideline for teammates? They were right in front of me. 20-30 of em. Steve Warren was one for sure. Tony Veland? Participating in the punt pass and kick competition? I mean, c'mon. Is this an indication of Bo not welcoming players? Or just not welcoming Ralph? Like I said above, maybe Ralph needs to to a little more on his part and meet halfway.

• Fire 1

Fwiw, DB pretty much lit Brown and other former players who bitch about this saying it's a two way street, and Bo isn't unapprochable.

Also Fwiw, one of the former players I know has said the same thing as Brown, and he lives here in Omaha.Said that he doesn't have as good of access to the program as he did under crapahan, and he didn't have much good to say about Bo.

Also, KETV had a pretty good interview with Bo last night, supposed to have the second part of the interview Sunday night.

I agree with opening it up to players, I really do, the thing is, how many even live in the Lincoln/Omaha area? How many have the free time to stop into practice once a week and things like that?

It does, it sounds good in theory but in the end most of these guys don't show up that much or if they do, it is for games.

I was a big fan of Ralph Brown when he played, so this interview is kind of sad and confusing. He makes some valid points about Bo's coaching and his emotions, but nothing that hasn't been said before. He also comes across much like Jason Peter always did on his radio show a few years ago, talking about the good ol' days and whining about how they aren't doing the same things now (sorry but the 90's aren't coming back, as much as we would like it to). And his complaints about not feeling welcome are in direct contradiction with all of the other former players who are obviously welcome to come in and out.

So what was Ralph trying to accomplish with this interview and airing this dirty laundry in public? Does Bo have a doghouse for certain former players? I wonder if Ralph did something behind the scenes to land himself in that doghouse behind the scenes. But if he wasn't in it before, he probably will be now.

• Fire 1

I think that is what happens a lot of time, they want the coaches to call them or something. But really, all you need to do is show up or ask.

Its like people that used to be really good friends and they don't talk anymore.

Buddy 1: Yeah, I don't talk to him anymore, he never texts me

Buddy 2: Do you ever text him?

Buddy 1: Well, no

• Fire 3

god forbid Bo do even more to reach out to former players then he could be blasted for wasting too much time on that sorta thing and not spening enough time on game prep, recruiting, etc. This is just another classic "Bo cant win" topic. Bo is most likely as receptive is he can possible be to anyone who reaches to the program and wants to be involved. But let's be frank here, Bo aint got time to sit down and reach out and beg every former player to come back and do this and this. He's got championships to win god damnit.

• Fire 5

frankly, i just think brown does not think much of bo and is trying to say it in so many ways without actually saying it. just my imo.

Which is fine. It's his right to express that opinion. But like Tommie Frazier, you do it in a way like this, then Bo certainly has the right-and all the power in the world-to say, "we dont need him", and pretty much just phase him on out.

Now, I apologize now for rolling Ralph into a category of Frazier. Obviously that's a bad comparison. But I cant really come up with anyone else whatsoever that Bo has obviously and/or publicly turned away from (which is pretty supporting of my point in it's own right). That I know of, Ralph has not done anything to deserve the ill feeling I have towards Tommie when it comes to life off the field after football. So I just wanted to throw this little disclaimer in there to go along with my idea that sometime these guys with this public angst are not doing themselves any favors with Bo. Like someone said above. Jay Foreman used to have issues as well. But obviously there was a sit down and a resolution to any issues there.