McGary Fails Drug Test, Enters Draft

Mavric

With the specter of a year-long NCAA suspension looming after testing positive for marijuana, Michigan Wolverines sophomore big man Mitch McGary has declared for the NBA draft.

"Being a part of a program that values integrity, it is important to let everyone know of a poor decision I recently made," McGary said in a statement released by the school Friday morning. "I tested positive for marijuana during the NCAA tournament. We were notified of that result after the Final Four."

"I regret thoroughly disappointing my family, coaches and administration," the statement read. "Despite all of this they have been understanding and helpful over the last couple of weeks. I take full responsibility for this poor choice and want to apologize to everyone, especially those I have grown close to during my fabulous two years at the University of Michigan."

The 6-foot-10 McGary played in only eight games in 2013-14 before a back injury ended his season in mid-December.

Yahoo! Sports reported that McGary failed a drug test administered by the NCAA following the Wolverines' Sweet 16 victory over Tennessee, a game in which McGary suited up but had no intention of playing.

ESPN