Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

had a thought

I'm almost wondering if the night king is sending a splinter army as a distraction to winterfell when his true destination lies south. The new title sequence shows the God's Eye/Isle of Faces on the map, which as far as I can tell is new. That's where the children of the forest and the first men signed the pact which ended their centuries of war. It's also presumed by some to be the location for the creation of the first white walker. It's also full of weir trees that witnessed the event of the truce, and is protected by an order of "Green Men". Now as far as I know, the only person alive in the TV show who has been to that island is Howland Reed, who A) saved Ned Stark at the tower of joy when he finds Jon Snow/Aegon Targaryen, and B) sent (i think) Jojen and Meera to help Bran.

Now, idk what the night king would be looking for there exactly, but it seems like a wildly important mystical/magical place which has yet to ever be referenced in show, it's pretty damn close to king's landing, it has some intriguing connections pieced together, and it would be an unexpected twist.

One of my buddies sent me a theory:

Spoiler

Basically the Night King is setting the battle at Winterfell as a distraction while he rides wight-Viserion to King's Landing to kill everyone and create a million-man army to help him wipe out everyone else. The theory states that that was what Dany's vision of King's Landing was in the House of the Undying.

My problem with this is if the Night King burns King's Landing to ash, then won't all the people be burnt up too? If they're all just burnt up ashes then he won't have any soldiers, right?

7 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

Technically they are the cold, they are the winter that is coming. So where ever they are, it's cold.

I don’t claim to fully understand the Night King and his army’s connection to the weather, but I don’t think this is correct.

There have been many-year winters multiple times in some of the characters’ lives, and it wasn’t because the bad guys had gone south if the wall.

3 hours ago, GSG said:

One of my buddies sent me a theory:

Hide contents

Basically the Night King is setting the battle at Winterfell as a distraction while he rides wight-Viserion to King's Landing to kill everyone and create a million-man army to help him wipe out everyone else. The theory states that that was what Dany's vision of King's Landing was in the House of the Undying.

My problem with this is if the Night King burns King's Landing to ash, then won't all the people be burnt up too? If they're all just burnt up ashes then he won't have any soldiers, right?

Eh. The only way I see this happening is if Cersei and her army survived. Frankly, for it to be a satisfying story, she needs to be alive and do some damage, then get killed by the good guys (or kill them, I suppose).

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don’t claim to fully understand the Night King and his army’s connection to the weather, but I don’t think this is correct.

There have been many-year winters multiple times in some of the characters’ lives, and it wasn’t because the bad guys had gone south if the wall.

The question was posed if they could live in warm climates. While GRRM has stated the seasons have a somewhat mystical base, he doesn't really get into what causes long winters, song summers and false springs. What we can see in the show is that where ever the Night King and his army are, there is winter. In the episode "Hardhome" you can actually see the winter storm preceding the army of the wights. I agree with you that winter isn't necessarily brought on by the Night King. So warm climates don't really apply to their survival.

Edited by Mike Mcdee
wordy
7 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

The question was posed if they could live in warm climates. While GRRM has stated the seasons have a somewhat mystical base, he doesn't really get into what causes long winters, song summers and false springs. What we can see in the show is that where ever the Night King and his army are, there is winter. In the episode "Hardhome" you can actually see the winter storm preceding the army of the wights. I agree with you that winter isn't necessarily brought on by the Night King. So warm climates don't really apply to their survival.

Ok, I think we agree. Actually my response was kind of a misunderstanding of your post.

You’re saying where they are, it becomes cold.

That doesn’t mean you’re saying that in order for it to be cold, they have to be there. 

Anyhow, I wonder if there needs white walkers or the NK for it to become cold due to their presence. I also wonder if the regular skellies need it to be cold. They brought that one down to King’s Landing and it a) didn’t make it cold and b) didn’t die. Wouldn’t it have been funny/terrible if the thing had died in the warm and everyone just laughed at Jon after all that work of capturing it?

Well...

Spoiler

Dany didn't seem too happy with finding about Jon's true ancestry. Do they continue on that trajectory or will she learn to embrace that he has a stronger claim than she does?

And I wonder how many takes it took to get through

Spoiler

Tormund's tale of how he became known as Tormund Giantsbane. I'm really hoping he gets together with "the big woman". It's going to be a sad day when they kill him off.

I'm guessing half the people they spent a lot of time on this episode will be dead at the end of the next episode. Brienne is my safest pick for a dead person.

And I know it makes for good entertainment, but it doesn't make sense to me for Jon to have told Dany at that moment, right before the battle. Why add more stress? If he dies, it never mattered. If they both die, it never mattered. If she dies, it doesn't matter to her. Why not wait 'til after? Also, I was a little surprised he didn't tell her he wasn't interested in being king, because he doesn't seem to be interested.

After Sansa's conversation with Dany, I expect the north to be independent after the war, perhaps a secret agreement they come to in exchange for Jon not making a claim to the throne.

3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well...

Hide contents

Dany didn't seem too happy with finding about Jon's true ancestry. Do they continue on that trajectory or will she learn to embrace that he has a stronger claim than she does?

I don't think he wants it. But we had the horn sound before she found that out.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Hide contents

I'm guessing half the people they spent a lot of time on this episode will be dead at the end of the next episode.

And I know it makes for good entertainment, but it doesn't make sense to me for Jon to have told Dany at that moment, right before the battle. Why add more stress? If he dies, it never mattered. If they both die, it never mattered. If she dies, it doesn't matter to her. Why not wait 'til after? Also, I was a little surprised he didn't tell her he wasn't interested in being king, because he doesn't seem to be interested.

After Sansa's conversation with Dany, I expect the north to be independent after the war, perhaps a secret agreement they come to in exchange for Jon not making a claim to the throne.

Spoiler

Or perhaps they agree to rule together. Jon can have the north and Dany the rest of it.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Hide contents

I don't think he wants it. But we had the horn sound before she found that out.

Spoiler

I tend to agree but he also didn't want to be named Commander of the Nights Watch or King of the North but acquiesced on both of those.

10 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Hide contents

I tend to agree but he also didn't want to be named Commander of the Nights Watch or King of the North but acquiesced on both of those.

That's true, but there there was no Dany there for those, although with the latter a case could have been made for Sansa. I feel like Dany has proven she'd be really good at ruling. Jon hasn't really done that yet. I also just can't see her stepping aside and that being the end of the story. Maybe one of them will die to make it easier.

One other thing - I'm not sure why Dany pointed out Jon's being male. That might matter if he was a cousin, but he was in direct line for the throne (2nd in line). I believe Dany would have been 4th.

Unless they do it wonky, and I don't think they do. I think it's just like Great Britain. Prince William is ahead of any of Charles' siblings. In this case, Jon is Prince William, and Dany is Charles' sister. There's a reason I don't know Charles' sister's name or if he has one without looking.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Moiraine said:
  Hide contents

I'm guessing half the people they spent a lot of time on this episode will be dead at the end of the next episode. Brienne is my safest pick for a dead person.

Spoiler

I'm betting there is a set piece during the battle where Dany has to decide to save Jon or let him die. 

• Plus1 1