Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

17 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Hide contents

I'm betting there is a set piece during the battle where Dany has to decide to save Jon or let him die. 

Good prediction. I bet you’re right. 

Another thing I was just thinking about, is every season had 10 episodes up to last season which had 7, and in episode 3 of this season they’re presumably facing the Night King. I wonder if at one point they thought they’d have a 2 hour episode 10 where they faced the Night King and then wrapped everything else up. It seems like something that should be an episode 10.

Or maybe it was going to be episode 10 of last season, and they didn’t think they needed more than 3 more episodes, and didn’t want to do a 3 episode season.

Avengers Endgame comes out on Friday. That combined with the next episode of Game of Thrones on Sunday will probably be the deadliest three-day period in the history of fiction, at least in terms of named characters dying.

Spoiler

So many people are going to die in the next episode. You never know who will die for sure, but I feel pretty confident in a few.

I think Theon, Podrick, Brienne, Beric, Gendry, Grey Worm, Dolorous Ed, Jorah and Ghost all die. Maybe someone like Varys down in the crypts too.

IIRC, I think the season six finale (the one where Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor) had nine named characters die. King Tommen, Pycelle, Lancel, the High Sparrow, Maergery Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Kevan Lannister and Walder Frey. I think that's the most named characters dying in a single episode.

I think the next episode beats that number.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

This is one of those episodes that was great for show only folks and awesome for book readers. There were so many little "Easter Eggs" on the Easter episode. The ramping up to the big battle has been beautifully executed this season. That being said,

Spoiler

I'm not so positive the battle is going to go as everyone thinks. There were things hinted at during the episode that make me think the Night King isn't going to take the bait. First off, I didn't see him at the battle grounds outside of Winterfell. It showed other White Walkers, but no spiny skull king. Secondly, Jon said that after the battle with the army of the undead, the Golden Company's 20,000 strong army would be able to finish them up. Third, I think with Dany's vision at the House of the Undying, something is going to have to destroy Kings Landing. I doubt it will be her. It would make more sense for the Night King to fly his dragon down and do some damage. That would leave a last big battle at "The God's Eye" as the northern army heads down south.

11 minutes ago, Mike Mcdee said:

This is one of those episodes that was great for show only folks and awesome for book readers. There were so many little "Easter Eggs" on the Easter episode. The ramping up to the big battle has been beautifully executed this season. That being said,

Hide contents

I'm not so positive the battle is going to go as everyone thinks. There were things hinted at during the episode that make me think the Night King isn't going to take the bait. First off, I didn't see him at the battle grounds outside of Winterfell. It showed other White Walkers, but no spiny skull king. Secondly, Jon said that after the battle with the army of the undead, the Golden Company's 20,000 strong army would be able to finish them up. Third, I think with Dany's vision at the House of the Undying, something is going to have to destroy Kings Landing. I doubt it will be her. It would make more sense for the Night King to fly his dragon down and do some damage. That would leave a last big battle at "The God's Eye" as the northern army heads down south.

Spoiler

I think I'm fully on board with the theory that the Night King is going to King's Landing to kill everything and create a second army to flank Winterfell, and Cersi is going to try and broker a truce by giving him her unborn son. 

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Hide contents

I think I'm fully on board with the theory that the Night King is going to King's Landing to kill everything and create a second army to flank Winterfell, and Cersi is going to try and broker a truce by giving him her unborn son. 

Spoiler

That would be an interesting turn of events. I just know that the show has to have some semblance of balance. Dany lost one of her dragons, Cersei is going to have to loose something, and I think the north will limp out of the fight with the Wight Army. 

Things like this make me happy this show isn't on Netflix. Without the weekly breaks, there wouldn't be any discussion and speculation. 

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

Avengers Endgame comes out on Friday. That combined with the next episode of Game of Thrones on Sunday will probably be the deadliest three-day period in the history of fiction, at least in terms of named characters dying.

Reveal hidden contents

So many people are going to die in the next episode. You never know who will die for sure, but I feel pretty confident in a few.

I think Theon, Podrick, Brienne, Beric, Gendry, Grey Worm, Dolorous Ed, Jorah and Ghost all die. Maybe someone like Varys down in the crypts too.

IIRC, I think the season six finale (the one where Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor) had nine named characters die. King Tommen, Pycelle, Lancel, the High Sparrow, Maergery Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Kevan Lannister and Walder Frey. I think that's the most named characters dying in a single episode.

I think the next episode beats that number.

Spoiler

I think Theon makes it out alive.  There seemed to be something going on between him and Sansa when they were all going over the order of battle.  Perhaps it was a red herring.

I may be thinking too hard about a fantasy show but could someone explain how the dead (people and horses) can walk around or swing weapons when the muscle tissue is rotted away. What allows them to move those limbs? Heck, if we just slightly pull or tear a muscle we’re out of commission but not the army of the dead. Is it some bit of Knight King magic or just something we’re supposed to shut up and accept?

Well never mind, I think I answered my own question. Here I am, asking this while accepting that the dead can do anything :lol:

The other one that really bothered me was the chain they used to retrieve the dragon. Where did that come from? How did they get it there? How could they lift such a heavy chain let alone pull a full grown dragon out with it? And the dead can’t swim so who hooked it up?  I’ll shut up now.

• Haha 1