Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

Another issue I had

So Bran is supposed to be this super important, powerful character. And what he can do is pretty cool. 

But he's absolutely worthless. He spent the entire fight doing his visions but as far as we know, didn't tell anyone WTF was happening. It would be great to have a bird's eye view of the battle and have the information relayed to the important people, but he didn't tell anyone anything. He just sat there doing nothing other than being bait (and ya, I know that was the plan. Just seems like his only use was that the Night King wanted to kill him). Hopefully he'll do something better in the last 3 episodes.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Another issue I had

Hide contents

So Bran is supposed to be this super important, powerful character. And what he can do is pretty cool. 

But he's absolutely worthless. He spent the entire fight doing his visions but as far as we know, didn't tell anyone WTF was happening. It would be great to have a bird's eye view of the battle and have the information relayed to the important people, but he didn't tell anyone anything. He just sat there doing nothing other than being bait (and ya, I know that was the plan. Just seems like his only use was that the Night King wanted to kill him). Hopefully he'll do something better in the last 3 episodes.

Spoiler

I agree, he's been almost worthless through the whole deal. Hodor, Jojen, Meera and Osha had to drag his a$$ everywhere. And he was a dick when parting ways with Meera. Her brother died for him and he couldn't even say thanks. And since he's become the 3 Eyed Raven the only useful thing he has done is convince Sam to tell Jon about his ancestry. His ability to see everything at once is basically just a waste. He hasn't done jack sh#t through multiple battles and really hasn't helped anyone with anything. I don't expect that to change in the next three episodes.

I haven't read the books but it's my understanding that his character and the 3 Eyed Raven before him were highly important and central to the whole story, especially the story or origins and the Knight King. I'm guessing his role in the HBO series is suffering greatly due to brevity and departures from the book. But he's still annoying AF.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Hide contents

I agree, he's been almost worthless through the whole deal. Hodor, Jojen, Meera and Osha had to drag his a$$ everywhere. And he was a dick when parting ways with Meera. Her brother died for him and he couldn't even say thanks. And since he's become the 3 Eyed Raven the only useful thing he has done is convince Sam to tell Jon about his ancestry. His ability to see everything at once is basically just a waste. He hasn't done jack sh#t through multiple battles and really hasn't helped anyone with anything. I don't expect that to change in the next three episodes.

I haven't read the books but it's my understanding that his character and the 3 Eyed Raven before him were highly important and central to the whole story, especially the story or origins and the Knight King. I'm guessing his role in the HBO series is suffering greatly due to brevity and departures from the book. But he's still annoying AF.

That could be, but I don't have a lot of faith that Bran's gonna be great with GRRM's writing either. GRRM let the story get away from him in the last book or 2, imo. And there's gotta be a reason he has writer's block. Maybe because he doesn't know what to do with the characters.

6 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Reveal hidden contents

That could be, but I don't have a lot of faith that Bran's gonna be great with GRRM's writing either. GRRM let the story get away from him in the last book or 2, imo. And there's gotta be a reason he has writer's block. Maybe because he doesn't know what to do with the characters.

I guess I don't know how much influence GRRM has had on his character in the HBO show. It's my understanding that the HBO folks pretty much had to forge new ground for most of the show since they are well ahead of GRRM on the story 

Spoiler

Although it does sound like they wrap it up in line with what GRRM intends. But the 3 Eyed Ravens seem to be extremely abbreviated versions of those in the books. Whatever the problem, I don't have any hesitation in saying his character has been pretty much a waste in the TV show. I don't know if GRRM or the show writers are to blame or possibly his character was just a casualty of constraints.

21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess I don't know how much influence GRRM has had on his character in the HBO show. It's my understanding that the HBO folks pretty much had to forge new ground for most of the show since they are well ahead of GRRM on the story 

Hide contents

Although it does sound like they wrap it up in line with what GRRM intends. But the 3 Eyed Ravens seem to be extremely abbreviated versions of those in the books. Whatever the problem, I don't have any hesitation in saying his character has been pretty much a waste in the TV show. I don't know if GRRM or the show writers are to blame or possibly his character was just a casualty of constraints.

I would say about half the show? Maybe the last 3 seasons.

I think Bran had met the old dude but the Hodor scene hadn't happened. Jon had just been "killed" (his parentage hadn't been confirmed but it was a big theory), Dany was in the middle of nowhere by herself after her dragon was full grown and was (presumably) about to be kidnapped by the Dothraki horde. Basically, just before she started having the dragons destroy everyone. Arya's story was hella boring at that point. I think she'd just started her No One stuff.

HAH!!! Survived 24 hours almost entirely spoiler free. Averted eyes when stuff popped up on my timeline, flat out avoided several sites. It was tough, but I did it.

About the only thing I really knew was that the whole episode was really dark (which - duh - it was a battle fought at night), but that didn't matter since I wasn't watching it until tonight after the sun went down. 

Spoiler

ARYA DID THE THING!!!! THANK THE SEVEN!!!!

I'm so happy that phase of the show is over. Maybe more happy than the ending of Torture Theon and all of the Ramsey nonsense.

This show is called Game of Thrones. Not Game of All The Living Trying Not To Get Drafted Into The Army Of The Dead. It's about time they focus on the GAME.

I don't care what you all say. I'll be fine if Cersei wins.  I like her. Like, 10% rooting for her.

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

HAH!!! Survived 24 hours almost entirely spoiler free. Averted eyes when stuff popped up on my timeline, flat out avoided several sites. It was tough, but I did it.

About the only thing I really knew was that the whole episode was really dark (which - duh - it was a battle fought at night), but that didn't matter since I wasn't watching it until tonight after the sun went down. 

Hide contents

I'm so happy that phase of the show is over. Maybe more happy than the ending of Torture Theon and all of the Ramsey nonsense.

This show is called Game of Thrones. Not Game of All The Living Trying Not To Get Drafted Into The Army Of The Dead. It's about time they focus on the GAME.

I don't care what you all say. I'll be fine if Cersei wins.  I like her. Like, 10% rooting for her.

Spoiler

The Night King and the whole army of the dead was a giant letdown. The show would have been better if that hadn't been in it at all.

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:
  Hide contents

The Night King and the whole army of the dead was a giant letdown. The show would have been better if that hadn't been in it at all.

Yes! I get the impression it was a seasons long buildup for the sole purpose of making the final conflict a little more even. 

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Seriously though, I agree with you on the Night King deal. It was kind of fun for awhile, until you realized there was no way the NK would win, then it just became anticlimactic. 

Cersei is a great villain and I love to hate her. Shows like this wouldn’t be near as good without excellent bad guys but she can’t win. I know they haven’t been real good with feel good endings but people will riot if she wins the throne.

anigif_sub-buzz-19096-1502120534-2.gif