Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

9 hours ago, QMany said:

I was shocked too, it happened so quick and unexpected. We had 9 years of dragon build-up and then 2/3 are gone for good within like 30 minutes of screen time...

I'm not a fan of Euron Greyjoy. He's a great actor and fun part to watch, but I feel like he was just thrown into this plot a few steps from the finish line and has too big of part. 

From what I've seen elsewhere, Euron had a much more prominent role in the books. But I agree, as far as the show goes, he's seemed like an after thought with too much involvement.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Why are people hating on this episode so much?  It seems pretty decent to me.

Full disclosure: I don't watch the show anymore.

But, one of my closest friends is deeply into the books and show. He thinks the last three seasons haven't been very good, but he especially hasn't liked this season and found an even new level of disdain for the most recent episode. It ultimately boils down to him believing a) the writing has become incredibly lazy, too reliant on the 'shock' factor and b) they've ruined story arcs by having people make out-of-character decisions.

I don't have any context of this because of said disclosure but I do know that's his general gripe. He was in a complete fit on Facebook about Jon not giving Ghost a proper farewell (which, I remembered Ghost, having watched the first three seasons :lol:).

8 hours ago, Enhance said:

Full disclosure: I don't watch the show anymore.

But, one of my closest friends is deeply into the books and show. He thinks the last three seasons haven't been very good, but he especially hasn't liked this season and found an even new level of disdain for the most recent episode. It ultimately boils down to him believing a) the writing has become incredibly lazy, too reliant on the 'shock' factor and b) they've ruined story arcs by having people make out-of-character decisions.

I don't have any context of this because of said disclosure but I do know that's his general gripe. He was in a complete fit on Facebook about Jon not giving Ghost a proper farewell (which, I remembered Ghost, having watched the first three seasons :lol:).

Interesting...I have never read any of the books so maybe that is why it isn't a big deal to me.

My observations from this episode.

Spoiler

It was 1,000% out of Dany's character to just veer off and run away while her friends and loved ones were being attacked by Euron's fleet. She could have swung around behind those ships and had Drogon turn them to ash where the giant catapults weren't pointing. After all these seasons of her being tough as iron, to see her turn tail and run was dumb.

But it advanced the major plot point of this episode:  Cersei & her side are the bad guys, and Dany & her side are the good guys. That could not have been less subtlely driven home with the scene atop the walls.

It was good to see them get back to buddy cop stories, with Arya & Uncle The Hound reunited on the road again. They're going down to King's Landing, one for Cleganebowl and the other to (apparently) kill Cersei.  My guess is Arya doesn't kill Cersei, and is killed trying.

Jamie is going south to die. He's a half-redeemed bad guy, but I'm guessing they make his story even more poignant by giving him a hero's death. Which will be much to Brienne's chagrin, because she's found her woman side through him. But when he left and she just stood there sobbing, that didn't seem like the tough woman we spent all this time getting to know. She should have saddled up and ridden after him, or beaten him senseless and dragged him back to bed. All those "I'm a bad guy" things he said were things the audience exonerated him for through his suffering, much like Theon.

The coffee cup was no accident. Product placement sucks, but it's a reality of television.

• Plus1 2

My thoughts on the probable ending using reputable leaks, don't read if you don't want to be spoiled. Also Endgame spoilers.

Spoiler

I'm kind of sick of mass media and the biggest IPs going for the cynical route (flags for Dany becoming a Mad Queen and Luke in TLJ). I know GOT is not the most sunshine and rosy world, but IMO a better ending for Dany would be a realization that she doesn't want the Iron Throne, she just wanted a home and a family who loves her. Heck they've even foreshadowed the family part by having Dany look longingly at the Starks. So you have a bittersweet ending where Kings Landing is destroyed (by Wildfire), but Dany is fine with it because she has Jon and an upcoming baby. Instead we're going to get her destroying Kings Landing on Drogon with Jon killing her for duty's sake.

Give me Disney endings mass media, the world is already full of s#!t.

Heck Marvel is printing money right now by producing well made light movies. Endgame has a depressing 30-45 minutes before Lang comes back into the picture, but as soon as the time heist gets started its "light" until the ending.

18 hours ago, teachercd said:

Why are people hating on this episode so much?  It seems pretty decent to me.

Episode 4 spoilers

Spoiler

Its been mentioned before, but they're rushing to this ending that doesn't feel earned or at the very least making people (mostly the heroes) make stupid mistakes to make it to the ending.

In the after episode talk where the show runners talk about the episode, they mention the only reason Rhaegal dies and Missendei is captured is because Dany forgot about Euron when they spent 10 minutes in the previous scene going over her own and Cersei's forces.