Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

GoT in the running with Lost as worst ending of a good show of all time.

I'm not surprised though. It's a couple of mediocre fantasy writers taking GGRM's story and butchering the ending. It's been evident the last couple seasons that they didn't understand the themes or character arcs of the story.

The second they turned from the AOTD to King's Landing is the second the writing on the show turned to crap. Guess in the behind the episode they talked about how Dany seeing the Red Keep, where her entire family died, created the anger that made her torch the entire city. But there was no indication of that and bells have never rung to indicate surrender before (where did everyone hear that plan anyway)?

I'm sick of nihilistic writing in mass media. I don't expect everything to have a Disney ending, but this ending does not have any hope to it. They've talked (GRRM and show creators) that the ending is bittersweet. LOTR was bittersweet. There is nothing sweet anywhere in this story now. If they wanted KL to burn, why not have someone who has proven they don't care about that type of collateral explode Wildfire caches throughout the city (Cersei and Qyburn).

13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

GoT in the running with Lost as worst ending of a good show of all time.

I'm not surprised though. It's a couple of mediocre fantasy writers taking GGRM's story and butchering the ending. It's been evident the last couple seasons that they didn't understand the themes or character arcs of the story.

42 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I also think this season has solidified Breaking Bad as the best show ever. I think this show will be looked at like the Sopranos. A great show with a terrible ending. 

BB is certainly in the discussion with The Wire. 

And I'm thinking this will be treated much more like Lost than The Sopranos. 

• Plus1 1

It’s kind of amazing how often I hear people misunderstanding the ending of Lost. I thought it was okay. Just not enough to do the series justice. It was mundane.

Thinking it’s bad because it ended the way any random show in history could have ended (all of your best friends in life go to heaven together holding hands) is understandable.

Thinking it’s bad because you think they were in purgatory the whole time and died in the plane crash and the events on the island never happened means you didn’t pay attention. I’ve heard multiple people who think the above is what happened. Everything on the island happened, including Hurley becoming the new Jacob and ruling over the island for hundreds of years with Ben as his sidekick. The flash sideways was just a holding area so they could all go to heaven together even though they died at different times.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Hide contents

Besides, I've had Jon pegged for the iron throne for quite awhile. This gives him a reason.

Also, this reminds me of a big problem I’ve had with a lot of the writing this season. The writers wanted certain things to happen so they willed them to happen no matter how little time they had to do it or how stupid/uncharacteristic the characters had to be in order to get to that point.

I’ve thought there’s a good chance Jon will become king since I read the first book 16 years ago. But the storytelling this season to get to that point has still been really bad. Having Dany go completely bats#!t crazy in a 2.5 episode span made it extremely easy and not compelling at all for Jon to make the decision to take the throne from her. It’s like they made it easy on themselves because they’re lazy. It was easy for them to not show Dany’s descent into madness and instead have her fall off a cliff and have Jon swoop in and have an easy scene to write. 

• Plus1 1

Have not watched it yet but it sounds like it was bonkers.  I heard all the spoilers.  I feel like people always get mad when their favorite shows end, there just seems no good way to end a great show.

Shoot, Dallas ended with a "Scrooge" ending.  Sorry, hopefully that isn't a spoiler for all you Dallas fans.

@knapplc @Dewiz I don't have an issue with Dany turning bad and killing everyone, but rather my issue is with the way it was told. The writers were trying to make it into some sort of "surprise" to the audience, but GoT has been a show about character development so it doesn't match the theme/style of the rest of the series. Instead of showing the audience Dany's descent into madness/genocide, all we get is a few angry looks on her face. And even more jarring is that Dany is all "let's save humanity instead of my throne" with the Night King plotline.

What they needed is either more scenes to flesh out her coming to the decision to burn everyone (like a conversation with Gray Worm about whether they should even accept a surrender) or some flashbacks when she's perched over the city and the bells are ringing to show what she's thinking/feeling.

But regardless, the real thing they've foolishly done is take all the drama out of the episode and have a completely unsatisfying death of the main villain - Cersei.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

The difference between the things mentioned in the tweet above and Kings Landing is innocent people being killed. I dont think people have a problem with her doing this, but it was rushed. 

Also, my issue with the episode is they humanized one of the worst villians in tv history and instead of having a satisfying death, a bunch of rocks killed her. 

Jaime’s character has spent the last couple seasons redeeming himself only to go back to kings landing to be with his evil lover and hold her as they both get crushed by rocks. 

Euron vs Jaime made no sense. No Yara at all. 

The Mountain being unkillable and instead of The Hound getting vengance he just tumbles to his death like the scene out of Harry Potter. Just a bunch of rushed, lazy writing this season. 

Forgot Arya. Heres this badass assasin on a quest to kill everyone who has wronged her family only to be told to go home because she might die and she happily obliges. Wtf. 

• Plus1 2

I really liked how the writers were able to bring Dany's vision from Season 2 into fruition.  We all thought winter was coming for King's Landing...turns out it was ash.

Image result for dany targaryen season 2 kings landing vision

If I remember correctly, Dany goes to touch the throne and although its a brief glance, you can tell there is snow on the throne, to me that means Jon Snow.  Dany goes to touch the throne, but ends up hearing her dragons and turns away choosing to go to her children versus going to the throne.  Ultimately, I think Dany ends up dying to fulfill the prophecy the witch gave her and she gets reunited with Khal Drogo.

• Dany going Mad Queen is on point with portions of her character; there have always been cracks in her visage that she's had to be pulled back from, and everyone she has trusted is gone now. However, D&D have done an awful job of rushing through the end of her character arc, to the point where her sacking King's Landing doesn't feel earned. 
  • I loved how Cleganebowl ended; Sandor realizing that the only way to end the fight was really the way their fight began: by shoving his brother into fire. It just took a few hundred feet of a drop. 
  • Arya is absolutely killing Dany. 
  • Part of me hopes that Jon just says "F*** this" and heads north to live out his days with Ghost and Tormund. 
  • Plus1 2