Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

I've found these last couple seasons, s8 especially, to be a lot more tolerable after the 2nd or 3rd rewatch. I've been fairly dissatisfied with each episode upon initial viewing but like them significantly more after watching again. I think a lot of the overall dissatisfaction from people has to do with their own expectations and preferences and the knowledge that we are quickly coming to the end of maybe the best TV series ever. Sure I would've liked to see them stretch it another couple seasons and handle some things at a bit slower pace but I think a lot of this is simply due to having to wait 2 years and knowing it will be over very soon. Watch them again and it seems much better. imo

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I've found these last couple seasons, s8 especially, to be a lot more tolerable after the 2nd or 3rd rewatch. I've been fairly dissatisfied with each episode upon initial viewing but like them significantly more after watching again. I think a lot of the overall dissatisfaction from people has to do with their own expectations and preferences and the knowledge that we are quickly coming to the end of maybe the best TV series ever. Sure I would've liked to see them stretch it another couple seasons and handle some things at a bit slower pace but I think a lot of this is simply due to having to wait 2 years and knowing it will be over very soon. Watch them again and it seems much better. imo

I think these last two seasons, s8 specifically, are well made pieces of TV in every way except for the writing.  From acting, directing, cinematography, action scenes, costumes, it is probably the most impressive show ever. But s8 has too many missteps with characterization in the last half (characters acting stupid to get to the endpoint they wanted(stuff like Dany forgetting about the Iron Fleet 2 minutes after pointing them out in the planning session)). I've pointed it out previously, but they wanted Mad!Dany, but didn't want to do the legwork for it because it would undermine how heroic she was (and they couldn't have that until the actual turn).

Would I have preferred a different ending than Mad!Dany, sure, because I'm sick of nihilism and grimdark and love "Disney" endings.

IMO the backlash over these last few episodes is not so much "subverted expectations", it's that the show runners made the decision that they only needed 13 episodes to finish the story when it probably needed 20 episodes. I'm disappointed with the back half of this season because it feels like the writing isn't up to the level as the rest of the parts of the show.

20 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

I think these last two seasons, s8 specifically, are well made pieces of TV in every way except for the writing.  From acting, directing, cinematography, action scenes, costumes, it is probably the most impressive show ever. But s8 has too many missteps with characterization in the last half (characters acting stupid to get to the endpoint they wanted(stuff like Dany forgetting about the Iron Fleet 2 minutes after pointing them out in the planning session)). I've pointed it out previously, but they wanted Mad!Dany, but didn't want to do the legwork for it because it would undermine how heroic she was (and they couldn't have that until the actual turn).

Would I have preferred a different ending than Mad!Dany, sure, because I'm sick of nihilism and grimdark and love "Disney" endings.

IMO the backlash over these last few episodes is not so much "subverted expectations", it's that the show runners made the decision that they only needed 13 episodes to finish the story when it probably needed 20 episodes. I'm disappointed with the back half of this season because it feels like the writing isn't up to the level as the rest of the parts of the show.

Oh I agree that the problem with these last 2 seasons is directly a result of rushing to the end. These guys didn't forget how to write or tell a story. They simply didn't allow enough time for things to play out as well as we'd become accustomed to. Personally I like mad Dany and pretty much expected that turn of events. But like most, I didn't particularly care for how or when they did it. I can only blame them for thinking they could satisfactorily end this saga in their self-imposed time constraints. But now with two year plus production times between seasons, maybe it's all for the better that the end is here.

• Plus1 1

T-minus 1 1/2 hour till it becomes full meltdown mode both on this board and on social media. 

Im pretty pumped for tonight’s season and GOT series finale then it’s a long wait till they have seasons 1-8 box set available in 4K 

4 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

T-minus 1 1/2 hour till it becomes full meltdown mode both on this board and on social media. 

Im pretty pumped for tonight’s season and GOT series finale then it’s a long wait till they have seasons 1-8 box set available in 4K 

I will be streaming illegally later...#BadAss

3 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

I'm genuinely curious if other people can even tell the difference between 1080 and 4k. I can barely see any difference between 720 and 1080 and can't see any difference between 1080 and 4k. I'll be the guy who's still buying DVD's and resisting having to pay more for Bluray for as long as I can.

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm genuinely curious if other people can even tell the difference between 1080 and 4k. I can barely see any difference between 720 and 1080 and can't see any difference between 1080 and 4k. I'll be the guy who's still buying DVD's and resisting having to pay more for Bluray for as long as I can.

It all depends on how close you sit to the TV.

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

My wife is the same way. She can’t tell the difference between HD and SD content on TV thinking that’s she f’ing with me but she swears she can’t see the difference. It also depends on the screen size and how far you’re from the screen too 

Wait till sports are in 4K. I remember watching the last summer Olympic’s in 4K and was stunned by the picture quality and the slow motion for the long jumps was insane. 

18 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I will be streaming illegally later...#BadAss

The wife and I will be watching it on the HBO Now app.

I’m went back and started the series over and I’m currently at season 3 episode 4. After tonight’s episode we were going to cancel HBO now but may hold off on that till I get through all the seasons again. 

Rewatching the series again you may pick up on some things that you may have missed the first time you saw the episode or that you forgot all about. There have been things that I didn’t notice the first time or have forgot about completely

14 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

My wife is the same way. She can’t tell the difference between HD and SD content on TV thinking that’s she f’ing with me but she swears she can’t see the difference. It also depends on the screen size and how far you’re from the screen too 

Wait till sports are in 4K. I remember watching the last summer Olympic’s in 4K and was stunned by the picture quality and the slow motion for the long jumps was insane. 

This is unpopular but I can't tell the difference either.  I have great eyesight, no glasses...but I don't notice a difference.  

Anymore I don't care since TV's are all HD (right?) and they are so cheap...but when it first game out I thought it was a scam.

26 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

The biggest difference for me is between 480i analog and 480p digital. I can see the difference between HD and SD, but it only really bothers me if it's the old analog 480i.