Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

7 hours ago, Fru said:

What ending would y'all have preferred?

My problem is not especially with any of the endings, although I think they could've done much better than Bran, but rather with the sloppy, hurried manner in which they arrived there. Way too many storylines that took senseless 180 degree turns. Lots of characters hung around with no advancement of their character or the story. I won't even begin to list all of the things they could've executed much better. Of course it would've required a couple more seasons. 

The sad thing is, when Sam closed the song of fire and ice book, I fully expected them to start rolling the credits. That's pretty telling of how they mangled this last season, that they had conditioned me to expect a weak made for TV fairytale ending. It was the best thing on TV for 5-6 seasons and they totally f'd it up in 2 seasons.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Fru said:

I wanted Jon on the Iron throne but figured it would never happened knowing that he doesn’t want it. 

I didn't like Bran as the new king but glad that the Starks got a much needed happy ending. 

2 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Yes, it would be really nice to have no expectations and to be able to completely ignore how great 5 seasons were and to blindly and quietly accept how far short of the mark these last 2 seasons fell. Congratulations?

• Plus1 1

I love these people who have zero expectations, and who are happy with whatever they're given.  They go to a nice restaurant, order a fancy meal, and when cold half-microwaved chicken nuggets are served on a paper plate, they're super happy, and say, "It's great, because I had no expectations!"

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm canceling it tonight.

This was their big chance to prove to me that I should buy their service. They completely blew it. I have waaaaay too much stuff to watch on Netflix & Amazon already, but if they'd have blown me away with this series I might have stayed. No chance now. And I'm not sticking around for the spinoffs.

Not here to try and convince you otherwise, but HBO has so many great orginal series going on right now or in their back catalog it's insane. True Detective, Chernobyl, Watchmen coming up, Pete Holmes' Crashing, Barry, Veep, Silicon Valley, Ballers, The Leftovers, Last Week Tonight, Westworld, so on and so forth. Not to mention the movie catalog you can access at anytime on HBO Go.

Anyways, I didn't think the finale was terrible but once again they wrote their characters out of sensible or plot-serving decisions. Can anyone tell me what the point was of writing Arya going to Kings Landing to almost kind of be in danger from Drogon? Did it serve her character in any way? Did she learn something? Do something important? Or did they just need to use her to show the destruction on the ground and then to be in the right place to say goodbye to her siblings?

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yes, it would be really nice to have no expectations and to be able to completely ignore how great 5 seasons were and to blindly and quietly accept how far short of the mark these last 2 seasons fell. Congratulations?

We really need quoted posts to get picked up by the Blocked filter. 

• Plus1 1
35 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Oh I had high expectations for Season 8 but it didn’t drive me enough to complain after every episode or to cancel my HBO subscription

32 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Can anyone tell me what the point was of writing Arya going to Kings Landing to almost kind of be in danger from Drogon? Did it serve her character in any way? Did she learn something? Do something important? Or did they just need to use her to show the destruction on the ground and then to be in the right place to say goodbye to her siblings?

I understood it as she went to KL to kill Cersei, but ultimately was convinced by Sandor, that living a life with revenge and killing as your main objective can ultimately be more damaging to yourself. It served her character by allowing her to finally be at peace and move on and explore the world, rather than destroy/kill. 

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Fru said:

I understood it as she went to KL to kill Cersei, but ultimately was convinced by Sandor, that living a life with revenge and killing as your main objective can ultimately be more damaging to yourself. It served her character by allowing her to finally be at peace and move on and explore the world, rather than destroy/kill. 

I can see that. But becoming an explorer? How would she fund that? Where did she get the ships or crew? What part of her history shows us that this was a possibility for her? 

It would make sense if Yara sailed into the unknown west, but not Arya.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

I can see that. But becoming an explorer? How would she fund that? Where did she get the ships or crew? What part of her history shows us that this was a possibility for her? 

It would make sense if Yara sailed into the unknown west, but not Arya.

IIRC, the sails of the ship she was on had the wolf emblem, implying that Sansa foot the bill. As far as what part of her history shows that this was a possibility, there was the scene with the actress from season 6. Mentioned in this vid at about 3:47 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Fru said:

Everything after Dany dying was kind of horse poop writing. First Drogon attacking the chair, not Jon, then everyone getting the fanservice endings that they wanted. Jon getting to live where he felt freest, Sansa being the Queen in da Norf, Arya being an explorer, and Bran being King. Kind of turns me off of the Starks in general (no matter the crap the family experienced throughout the story). Jon, flat out, should have been roasted by Drogon.

I've stated previously in this thread, but I feel a better ending would have been Kings Landing burning due to Wildfire (foreshadowed more times in the show than Dany turning "mad") accidentally set off by Dany when she attacks the Red Keep. They can't have her as Queen (though a main reason they chose Bran also applies to her), but she has a realization she just wanted a family and a home. She bounces with Jon to Dorne, the North, or simply Dragonstone and they live the rest of their days not worrying about ruling or the throne.

In short, everything in the back half of this season felt like they needed to hit plot points more than anything happening naturally (plotters vs pantsers mentioned earlier). If they were going to have this "happy" ending, why not have it for every "hero" character.

Also Bronn is a POS and should have died at the Field of Fire part deaux. He did not deserve to be Lord of Highgarden nor a seat on the Small Council.

• Plus1 1