Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

I was fine with the ending, but after thinking about it a bit, this might be my alternate ending just for sh!ts and giggles. 

Dany is approaching the throne when Jon comes in and confronts her. She gives her "Let's be together" speech and they embrace. Dany stabs Jon, killing off the rightful heir to the throne and legitimizing herself as Queen. Arya sees this happen and kills Dany in a fit of rage. Arya is taken prisoner. Arya is then presented to the council for punishment where they decide on who should be the new King/Queen. A fierce debate erupts and each person makes a passionate case for their nominee. Ultimately, Tyrion makes the case for Sansa being the new Queen as she has experienced the most trauma, but has remained uncorrupted and sensible. Sansa is elected Queen and names Bran as her hand. Sansa pardons Arya for killing Dany but in order to keep the peace with the Dothraki and unsullied, she banishes Arya from the seven kingdoms, ultimately gifting her a ship so she can sail beyond Westeros. After Sansa is crowned Queen, she destroys the Iron Throne in a public display. Showing the people that she won't be beholden to the throne that has brought such unimaginable bloodshed and pain. 

On 5/13/2019 at 9:26 AM, Cdog923 said:
  • Part of me hopes that Jon just says "F*** this" and heads north to live out his days with Ghost and Tormund.  

You nailed this. Good call. :thumbs

I had a couple of guesses right. I'll highlight those and ignore the 99% of guesses I got wrong. :D

On 4/30/2019 at 7:01 AM, knapplc said:

I have no idea how Cersei dies. Probably shortly after Clegane Bowl.

[A dragon will] I think they keep Rhaegal. And I think Sansa uses Rhaegal to melt the Iron Throne.

• Fire 1

Things I got right

Spoiler

Dany dies and doesn’t get the throne. Figured it would be Arya or Jon to kill her.

I thought Dany would go the route of the foreshadowed mad queen.

Cersei dies and doesn’t get the throne.

The Night King dies and the real culmination is the battle in Kings Lansing.

I thought Sandor would kill Gregor and end up also dying in the process.

Kind of figured the little Mormont girl would go out heroically.

Thats basically it. I called some things that wouldn’t happen and a few easy things that anybody could’ve guessed.

Things I got way wrong

Spoiler

Cersei didn’t die a horrible death and it wasn’t at the hands of Jamie or Arya.

I thought Jon most likely, or Tyrion less likely, would sit on the throne. Bran was way at the bottom of my list, in the same neighborhood as Theon. Bran ending up King is my biggest disappointment.

I thought Samwell was done being made fun of and would start to be highly respected as a Maester after curing Jorah and figuring out Jon’s lineage. But they still dissed his fighting skills in the long night and he was made fun of for his suggestion of democracy.

I thought they would actually do something more with the Bron storyline after the ridiculous crossbow incident but...

Plenty of other things I didn’t anticipate or give a chance of happening.

I didn’t realize how significantly the shortened timeframe would affect the quality of bringing everything to an end. Should’ve seen it coming after the mess s7 was but I still got my hopes up that they would finish it reasonably.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, Fru said:

I was fine with the ending, but after thinking about it a bit, this might be my alternate ending just for sh!ts and giggles. 

Dany is approaching the throne when Jon comes in and confronts her. She gives her "Let's be together" speech and they embrace. Dany stabs Jon, killing off the rightful heir to the throne and legitimizing herself as Queen. Arya sees this happen and kills Dany in a fit of rage. Arya is taken prisoner. Arya is then presented to the council for punishment where they decide on who should be the new King/Queen. A fierce debate erupts and each person makes a passionate case for their nominee. Ultimately, Tyrion makes the case for Sansa being the new Queen as she has experienced the most trauma, but has remained uncorrupted and sensible. Sansa is elected Queen and names Bran as her hand. Sansa pardons Arya for killing Dany but in order to keep the peace with the Dothraki and unsullied, she banishes Arya from the seven kingdoms, ultimately gifting her a ship so she can sail beyond Westeros. After Sansa is crowned Queen, she destroys the Iron Throne in a public display. Showing the people that she won't be beholden to the throne that has brought such unimaginable bloodshed and pain. 

Arya v. Brienne trial by combat juan time!

I think on top of them cramming 20+ episodes of material into 13, the other major issue I have is they seemed to have the goal of shocking and surprising people just for the sake of it, and not because it made any sense for the characters or the story.

The biggest example of that is Cersei. Game of Thrones is essentially The Lannisters vs. The Starks with a little impending zombie invasion thrown in. Everyone’s been waiting for Cersei’s comeuppance and for her to face the Starks and one of them to win, but neither happened and I don’t see a storytelling reason for why not. I don’t think she had more than 10 mins of screen time this season. Even if we all thought it was coming, it wouldn’t have made it less good to actually see it, rather than getting surprised with an extremely lame ending to it. Cersei could’ve been killed in a much more pleasing way and everything else they decided to do could’ve still happened.

• Plus1 1

So...did GOT or Walking Dead get worse?

Also...why are people joking up the last episode of Breaking Bad as the most amazing last episode ever?

They fast forwarded more in that show than GOT...They turned Walter into MacGyver...and a dude that was dying from cancer drives from NH to NM?  I am perfectly healthy, younger than him...and I can't drive from Omaha to KC without it being a f#&%ing drag.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

So...did GOT or Walking Dead get worse?

Also...why are people joking up the last episode of Breaking Bad as the most amazing last episode ever?

They fast forwarded more in that show than GOT...They turned Walter into MacGyver...and a dude that was dying from cancer drives from NH to NM?  I am perfectly healthy, younger than him...and I can't drive from Omaha to KC without it being a f#&%ing drag.

GoT had at least 5 stellar seasons. Walking Dead started sucking during season 2. 

People talk up the last episode of BB because it's literally one of the best final episodes in TV history. If I remember correctly, the only time jump is less than a year between the second to last episode and the last. In GoT, you need more suspension of disbelief when it comes to how fast they travel through Westeros than you do for the dragons. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

GoT had at least 5 stellar seasons. Walking Dead started sucking during season 2. 

People talk up the last episode of BB because it's literally one of the best final episodes in TV history. If I remember correctly, the only time jump is less than a year between the second to last episode and the last. In GoT, you need more suspension of disbelief when it comes to how fast they travel through Westeros than you do for the dragons. 

BB started to get stupid FAST...but that last episode was maybe one of the lamest things I have seen...it was hard to watch.  

• 3 weeks later...