Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

51 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If someone wanted to explain the Rhaegar/Lyanna thing for me, that'd be great.... There's a +1 in it for you.

I partially explained this on the previous page, so cough up that +1 bub.  :P

BTW, kind of unhandy that there are no longer post #'s but I like that I now have access to emoticons on my iPad. So conflicted.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, zoogs said:

^And now, it was revealed that

Hide contents

Rhaegar had a secret hush-hush marriage in Dorne. Although the only one who knows is Gilly, and Samwise Gamgee, I mean Tarly, has left the Citadel.

I don't understand the Samwise Gamgee reference...? I only know him as Samwell Tarly. What am I missing, is it a book thing?

2 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Ohh, is he Samwell and not Samwise? Darn.

Their names (and roles) are so similar it was kind of funny to me, that's all :P

Yeah but where does Gamgee come from? Is it another GoT character or a reference to something else?

*finally realizes he could've just googled the question* :facepalm:

Yeah, the more important element of it is that Jon is Rhaegar's legitimate son, because it was found out last week that they were officially married, albeit in secret. If that wasn't the case, he would still be a bastard who just had some more interesting lineage, but now that we know he is a proper Stark and Targaryean, he has the proper right to the iron throne and Daenarys does not.

On 8/15/2017 at 11:48 PM, Moiraine said:

I googled it. For torturing people at Harrenhal.

I forgot about that! It seems so long ago.

Arya was held prisoner with Gendry and Hot Pie. The Mountain picked prisoners one by one and tortured/killed them. For the one man they showed specifically, a rat was trapped on his chest under a bucket that was heated to provoke burrowing (Bad Boys 2!). Arya later escaped with Jaqen H'ghar. 

There were multiple things that led to Robert's rebellion. Rhaegar "kidnapping" lyanna was a big thing though. After she was taken, neds older brother Brandon rode to kings landing and demanded she be given back. He was then charged of treason by mad king aerys and rickard stark (Ned's dad, warden in the north) was told to ride south to kings landing. He did and was also charged with treason by the mad king. They demanded a trial by combat and king aerys agreed and named fire his champion. He had rickard suspended above wild fire and put Brandon stark in the room with a strangulation device around his neck and a sword just out of reach in order to try to save his dad. So the mad king roasted Ned's dad alive and his older brother died trying to save him. Which also was a big reason for the rebellion.  

• Plus1 2

I'm just now figuring out that there is a difference between the Night King, white walkers and the army of the dead. I'd always kind of lumped them all together before.

Spoiler

Am I missing something or did they reveal that if you kill a white walker those that walker has turned will also die? Seems it should be much easier to handle that huge throng of dead if you focus on killing the white walkers. Logically, wouldn't that mean killing the Night King would be huge?