Game of Thrones - Please no spoilers from ASOIAF

My wife is not happy with the direction of 

Spoiler

The Sansa-Arya relationship. She was worried that Arya was going to take her out. I wouldn't miss Sansa but it would be damaging to Arya so I'm a little conflicted. I'm just getting really tired of the whole Sansa-Little Finger deal. I just know that weasel is going to hang on till the end.

1 hour ago, El Diaco said:

My wife is not happy with the direction of 

Hide contents

The Sansa-Arya relationship. She was worried that Arya was going to take her out. I wouldn't miss Sansa but it would be damaging to Arya so I'm a little conflicted. I'm just getting really tired of the whole Sansa-Little Finger deal. I just know that weasel is going to hang on till the end.

It annoys the sh#t out of me. Even though it's probably realistic. Both of them have seen some completely effed up sh#t. The happy, perfect reunion probably wasn't realistic. This is why I could never read GoT, though (until I had it read to me). I tried several times. I don't read fantasy books for pain and suffering. I read them for adventure and fun. I should be used to this crap by now but it just gets kind of old at this point. At least before it was the bad guys killing all the good guys. If Littlefinger doesn't have the most awful comeuppance in the history of of fantasy stories I'ma be pissed. He's as bad as Cersei. Without him Ned probably would've survived. Anyhow, I'm hoping Jon's arrival will fix everything. Maybe if he finds out Sansa/Arya aren't getting along and hears about LF he'll just cut his head off immediately.

On a related note, I found a lot of this episode annoying. I'm not sure what was more annoying, the soap opera between the 2 girls or the men on their walk constantly going off in pairs to chit chat. DID THEY NOT WATCH THE PREVIOUS EPISODES!? THEY SHOULD ALL BE DEAD!

One other thing I think I noticed... I swear when they started their walk there were 9 of them.

Rob's bastard
Jon
Redhead
Hound

Fire guy 1

Fire guy 2

Jorah

2 others

I noticed this because it seemed like an ode to the Fellowship of the Ring. Then, when they needed to have someone die, there were around 15 of them. A few of them died to the polar bear. Then in the next scene they were down to 9 again.

Last night's episode was too predictable...

Spoiler

No major characters died. You knew Daene would make it in time. You knew the Night King would get a dragon, as soon as he showed up with javelins. You knew Uncle Benji would save Jon as soon as he came out of the water. 

You can tell they ran out of source material as they were not willing to kill of any major characters that people feel strongly about. I almost thoight they would do Tormund, it would have made sense, he  is extremly likeable and funny. It's kind of sick when your mad at a show for not killing of characters.

Couple things that bugged me:

How did the white walkers get those chains? Surely they didn't forge them, since they don't mix well with fire. And why would anybody drag that heavy of chain so far in. 

Also, do the white walkers just died when they go underwater? That seems lame. They die by fire and drowning... build a deep moat, problem solved.

27 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Hide contents

No major characters died. You knew Daene would make it in time. You knew the Night King would get a dragon, as soon as he showed up with javelins. You knew Uncle Benji would save Jon as soon as he came out of the water. 

You can tell they ran out of source material as they were not willing to kill of any major characters that people feel strongly about. I almost thoight they would do Tormund, it would have made sense, he  is extremly likeable and funny. It's kind of sick when your mad at a show for not killing of characters.

How did the white walkers get those chains? Surely they didn't forge them, since they don't mix well with fire. And why would anybody drag that heavy of chain so far in. 

Also, do the white walkers just died when they go underwater? That seems lame. They die by fire and drowning... build a deep moat, problem solved.

I don't know if that's why no one "important" died (Benjen was a huge unsolved mystery in the books so I dunno if he's unimportant).

At some point in the books, GRRM was gonna stop killing off all the characters.

I highly doubt drowning kills them. But I'm guessing they're not good swimmers unless they swam a lot when they were alive.

This is the most joyful recap. I'm rolling: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/game-of-thrones-season-7-episode-6-recap-you-dont-understand

And yeah, @ZRod, I think the theme now is "don't think too hard." Just watch things happen. Everything is either a slow-winding setup or a spectacular, usually well-executed payoff. The rules have changed to elevate fanservice, in the form of fitting ends for favorite figures.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I think the chains would have been brought from Hard Home.  That was a major trade town north of the wall.  That's really the only explanation I can think of.  

On the Jon underwater fight, they would have been well served to show him killing the wights underwater and loosing his coat.  That 30 second scene would have served a lot better than him coming up out of the water.  The problem is the show wanted to do a call back from the Battle of the Bastards and him rising out of the army around him. I get it, just don't agree with it.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I agree about the chains. How in the hell did they get 5000 feet of that heavy chain there so fast (or at all)? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think they die by drowning. Didn't many of them climb back out of the water. Logically....most of them don't even have lungs so there is that.

Last night's episode was terribly rushed. Unfortunately I think that is what we're going to get from here to the end. I mean there are only 7 total episodes left.

2 hours ago, QMany said:

This show has displayed incest from the beginning, but I hope this uncle-niece thing doesn't come to fruition.

I think it has historically been standard fare for the Targaryen's to wed and mate with close relatives. Not good by our standards but in the land of GoT....

• Plus1 1
Spoiler

I'm being a little facetious with the white walkers and water, but it is a lazy plot point (as much of this season is). Why couldn't they pull a pirates of the Caribbean and walk underwater to the middle of the lake, dig through the ice, and kill our heros? Also if they are sonclose to the wall, that it only takes a half a days run, what are they waiting for? Attack and take the more bodies!

20 minutes ago, ZRod said:
  Hide contents

I'm being a little facetious with the white walkers and water, but it is a lazy plot point (as much of this season is). Why couldn't they pull a pirates of the Caribbean and walk underwater to the middle of the lake, dig through the ice, and kill our heros? Also if they are sonclose to the wall, that it only takes a half a days run, what are they waiting for? Attack and take the more bodies!

It was logical to me. The way I see it, zombies can do what they did in real life. Walk/Run/Fight. Swimming is a skill I doubt many of them had.

Who should they attack? They can't get through the wall yet. Although if the dragon can melt it they can now.

My complaints: Dany didn't try to kill the White walkers at any point, and the night king took forever to try to kill the 2nd dragon which was an easy target.