Who was Nebraska's "toughest" quarterback of the last 25 years?

Who was Nebraska's toughest QB, 1988-2013?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And only one had to go home to Mommy, be begged to return to the team he was quitting on. Tough is finishing what you start.

And effectively hamstrung Solich's control before it even started. After he reversed course when DeAngelo did pretty much the same thing it pretty much started the drift towards the train wrecks of the end of 01 and 02.

i wasn't a huge Crouch fan because he was a little too one-dimensional, but the one thing I always marvelled at was how tough he was. He wasn't big. He didn't look like he could lower a shoulder into anybody. But he did. And he always popped up quick. Took the huge hits, popped out of the pile-up and was back in the huddle before the defenders knew what hit them. Frost did the same thing, but he was a lot bigger and did it for only two years. Frazier and Martinez were injured. A lot. They may have been tough, but being injured a lot cuts into that rep. Loved Zac Taylor, but he got pasted for only two years himself. Crouch was essentially a four year starter who took more hits than anyone on the team and unless I'm mistaken never missed a game -- or even a play -- due to injury.

A Nebraska kid, straight out of Omaha who ran the option probably as good or better than anyone ever on this planet. Won the Heisman trophy, and played for a National Championship. One of the greatest Husker football players of all times, with some of the most epic highlight reels of any player you will ever find, and you weren't a huge fan? Then you go on to say how much you loved him for his toughness?

You usually make quite a bit of sense man, but whoa.........so you liked him or you didn't? If not, for the reason I listed above, how the hell could you not?

You don't have to answer really. Not sure why I care. Never in my life did I think I would come to a Husker message board and read the words "i wasn't a huge Crouch fan".....

Crouch is about my top 2-3 all time huskers but my vote went to Frost.

They lined up the bodies in the wake of his play.

He just trucked us to a tilte, and when he needed to he pitched it to Ahman Green for good measure.

Frost was tough, remember that disgusting burst Bursa Sac he had on his elbow? He played all year w that thing dangling off his arm and STILL steamrolled linebackers.

Man, your argument is solid. Zac Taylor would have had my vote, but man Frost was something else. I think you're right. I'd go with Frost.

Fan of his game, not of his mind set. Quitter way too many times to be considered a Husker great for me. Good player no question, but not what I call a Husker. A football player at Nebraska, great in doing so, but all on the list are far ahead for me. And you could name another 10 most likely that I would consider players that finished what they started without being promised something to get them to honor their commitment.

i wasn't a huge Crouch fan because he was a little too one-dimensional, but the one thing I always marvelled at was how tough he was. He wasn't big. He didn't look like he could lower a shoulder into anybody. But he did. And he always popped up quick. Took the huge hits, popped out of the pile-up and was back in the huddle before the defenders knew what hit them. Frost did the same thing, but he was a lot bigger and did it for only two years. Frazier and Martinez were injured. A lot. They may have been tough, but being injured a lot cuts into that rep. Loved Zac Taylor, but he got pasted for only two years himself. Crouch was essentially a four year starter who took more hits than anyone on the team and unless I'm mistaken never missed a game -- or even a play -- due to injury.

A Nebraska kid, straight out of Omaha who ran the option probably as good or better than anyone ever on this planet. Won the Heisman trophy, and played for a National Championship. One of the greatest Husker football players of all times, with some of the most epic highlight reels of any player you will ever find, and you weren't a huge fan? Then you go on to say how much you loved him for his toughness?

You usually make quite a bit of sense man, but whoa.........so you liked him or you didn't? If not, for the reason I listed above, how the hell could you not?

You don't have to answer really. Not sure why I care. Never in my life did I think I would come to a Husker message board and read the words "i wasn't a huge Crouch fan".....

I wished Crouch was a better passer. I thought he was a little selfish and our offense too one-dimensional behind him. There was something in his attitude and off-the field mindset that didn't quite jibe -- he got kinda full of himself and blamed others. I was certainly a fan of Crouch while he was playing, but if we're talking about favorite Husker QBs of all-time, he's just outside my Top 5. But I meant it as a helluva compliment that he was tougher than the five QBs I liked better.

Yeah, Frazier was a real pansy for not playing through those blood clots.

Nobody, certainly not me, would call Tommie Frazier a pansy. But if the gauge is toughness, part of that is simply physical. Some guys take a lot of hits and get hurt. Some guys take a lot of hits and don't. Who would you say is tougher?

I wished Crouch was a better passer. I thought he was a little selfish and our offense too one-dimensional behind him. There was something in his attitude and off-the field mindset that didn't quite jibe -- he got kinda full of himself and blamed others. I was certainly a fan of Crouch while he was playing, but if we're talking about favorite Husker QBs of all-time, he's just outside my Top 5. But I meant it as a helluva compliment that he was tougher than the five QBs I liked better.

I've always had a view from the outside and honestly never heard this stuff about Crouch as far as playing the blame game and other character issues. He seemed like the ultimate competitor to me and one hell of an athlete. I guess in my mind he's one of the greatest ever. I really never heard anyone say otherwise until today.

The guy played with a bum shoulder man. His passing had to have been impacted by that. He's had multiple surgeries in the past couple years on his throwing shoulder. Dude was tough as hell for his size. He'd be in my top 4 QBs for sure. Tough to figure out where he falls in that list for me.

Yeah, Frazier was a real pansy for not playing through those blood clots.

Nobody, certainly not me, would call Tommie Frazier a pansy. But if the gauge is toughness, part of that is simply physical. Some guys take a lot of hits and get hurt. Some guys take a lot of hits and don't. Who would you say is tougher?

I don't follow. Are you saying the Crohn's disease that caused his blood clots was a result of getting hit?

I would really like to get my hands on copies of the games from 2005 and 2006 and put together a Zac Taylor tribute video.

That is something I would definitely do.

There's a lot of good stuff on youtube, if you search for it.

Thanks for the tip zoogs. Hadn't looked in a few years, but I found the 2005 Oklahoma, Michigan and Missouri games, and the 2006 Big XII Championship game, Kansas game, and Texas game (albeit this one is in 4:3).

Here's the Oklahoma game for anyone that wants to see Zac get smoked over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbvPT52tPs

puke..... ed cunningham...... but I also voted for Zac Taylor... This guy NEVER quit!!!! beaten down and always got up again... because of this and a poor O-line... taking hit after hit blindside or otherwise he ALWAYS got up again. i dont know how...

wow, pretty tough to decide between Frost, Lord, and Taylor.

To the guy who made the comment about the 'hammer/nail' categories, I'd say Jammal is more in the nail category than hammer. Took the high road when he was absolutely crapped on by fans in 2002, I was so impressed that he never complained or said a negative word. I'd say he probably got the most crap from fans than any other husker QB, more than frost and TM.

I'd probably have to go with Zac for the exact reason the OP and everyone else mentioned. It was pretty unbelievable Didn't ever chew out his linemen either, just shook it off and moved on to the next play.