Who was Nebraska's "toughest" quarterback of the last 25 years?

Who was Nebraska's toughest QB, 1988-2013?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe it's not Lord's fault that he was the starting QB for a couple seasons we'd prefer to forget.

On the other hand, Lord's stats were inflated because he often made himself the entire offense. There were games where Nebraska's best offensive play was a broken play. Not necessarily a called run, but a mad scramble when everything else broke down. Which was too often.

When you let a running back call his own plays, he's going to call a lot of runs for himself. I guess that makes you pretty tough, putting the team on your back so often, but man, that was a hard offense to watch.

eric-crouch-o.gif

#7 vs Iowa LINK

crouch's trucking of the Iowa guy is probably the toughest single play by husker QB (could make an argument for Frost's crackback) but his borderline quitting the team after getting beaten out by Bobby somewhat detracts from his perceived toughness

I heard a story about how Iowa players were coached to try and hit him high and take him out of the game.

No idea if it's true or not, but if it is, it takes away from the "toughness" a little bit, but adds a whole hell of a lot of sweet justice.

I went with Frost. Zac Taylor is one of my top 5 all time NU QBs and was really a coach on the field who did take a beating as many had said. But Frost oozed toughness and confidence and I think he made all of those around him play tough. He never avoided contact and often avoided stepping out of bounds - if he had a choice between getting hit and gaining a few more yards vs taking the sideline - it was always taking or delivering the hit.

Crouch, Lord, Zac Taylor, Martinez all took beatings in their careers that Frazier and guys before didn't have, thanks to dominant offensive lines. Hard to decide who was tougher from that group. Can't argue if you say any of them. I voted Crouch, though.

Frazier - zero sacks in 95 - imagine an OL not giving up a sack. Talk about dominance. Memorial stadium was the International House of Pancakes for sure.

I think the fact the Taylor did not pass his NFL physical says something about his toughness. He played 3 years with that injury, and if it had been allowed to heal properly he might have had the NFL career he wanted. He gave a lot to this program, that few appreciate it seems.

• Fire 1

I think the fact the Taylor did not pass his NFL physical says something about his toughness. He played 3 years with that injury, and if it had been allowed to heal properly he might have had the NFL career he wanted. He gave a lot to this program, that few appreciate it seems.

How do you know it's the same injury?

He has had chronic turf toe and high ankle sprain since the Mizzou game. If you truly believe he ever looked like he did prior to that game, I really do not know what to tell you.

I can tell you that Taylor Martinez continued making highlght reel plays for another three seasons. His most famous, perhaps, coming in 2012.

He has had chronic turf toe and high ankle sprain since the Mizzou game. If you truly believe he ever looked like he did prior to that game, I really do not know what to tell you.

I can tell you that Taylor Martinez continued making highlght reel plays for another three seasons. His most famous, perhaps, coming in 2012.

I don't think skersfan is disputing that, he's probably saying Martinez could have been even better if he'd have been 100%.

Which is a scary thought.

I think the kid is one of the toughest kids to ever play the game at Nebraska. He played a position he really was not supposed to play, (wanted to). He put on a true display the first few games, even Hypsman conversation at one point.

He was belittled, rumors made about him, embarrassed on National TV, played injured, (my guess, in nearly every single game) giving his all, including his body. Yelled at booed, and week after week, he was there, doing all he could possibly do for his team to win. Never saying a word, limping clawing his way back on the field, because he knew that he was our only hope.

He had some great results, but he never quite measured up for a lot of people on this board. He never won a CC nor a MNC, but he truly helped this program gain some respect, made life for his head coach a lot easier in the long run. I really would hate to think where this program would be right now without his efforts.

And as Guy says, even with two of the most debilitating injuries for a running QB, he put up highlight videos, head and shoulders above his peers on his team.

The others that are mentioned in this list, had pretty much the best of everything around them, Taylor not so much.

• Fire 2

At the moment, the top four are:

38 - Zac Taylor

27 - Scott Frost

12 - Eric Crouch

9 - Taylor Martinez

If I had to rank this list, that would be how I'd rank my top four, I think. Zac and Taylor "tough" because they got the stuffing beat out of them and kept on going, while Frosty & Crouch delivered the punishment as well as taking it - but both benefited from better O Lines, thus taking less of a pounding overall.

• 3 weeks later...