knapplc

Who was Nebraska's "toughest" quarterback of the last 25 years?

Who was Nebraska's toughest QB, 1988-2013?  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Tommy is great for other reasons, but also think his greatness is a bit overblown at times.

It's hard to "overblow" the greatness of a guy who's considered by some as the greatest college QB of all time.

Cool articles, but it's not an argument. The fact that some think he is the greatest of all time isn't the fact that he is - could just as easily be proof that his greatness is overblown :lol:

Burn the heathen!

I think Tommy is great for other reasons, but also think his greatness is a bit overblown at times.

It's hard to "overblow" the greatness of a guy who's considered by some as the greatest college QB of all time.

Cool articles, but it's not an argument. The fact that some think he is the greatest of all time isn't the fact that he is - could just as easily be proof that his greatness is overblown :lol:

You're trying too hard.

Says the guy that went to fetch four links.

NO ONE is going to mock Knapplc for misspelling Tommie Fraizer's name?

I fixed it. Do you realize you also misspelled his name?

Do you realize I am great at ironical humor?

Do you realize my ship is towing mines?

My father served in the ministry of irony Mr. Manfredjensen

Voted for Frost. One game doesn't define "Tough"

Which guy are you referring to?

Zac Taylor.

jags.gif

• Upvote 1

After the shellacking that ASU gave Frost in his first start, he had the mental fortitude to put that debacle in his rearview mirror. He was mentally and physically beat up in that game, but came back to lead a juggernaut for the next two years.

That to me shows his mental toughness and then you watch his highlights of destroying guys up and down the field with his physicality.

Taylor is a close second. Besides, Frost came from my part of Nebraska and everyone knows how tough us G.I area guys are. Lol. =)

• Upvote 2

I know it's not a popular pick, but I'm going with Jamal Lord. That guy was the best runner we had - and the other team knew it. And our OL was average, so he took some shots. But mostly he took WAY more crap off the field than anyone else on that list. Lord for being a warrior both on and off the field.

I literally only have 2 memories of Zac Taylor, without thinking too hard. His run and dive into the endzone vs Pitt that was like less than 10 yards but took 30 seconds. He was definitely not known for speed.

My other memory is his TD to INT ratio going into the Big12 title game. I think it was around 21 TD's to 3 INT's. He finished that game with 3 picks. It was my last memory of him as I didn't get to see the Auburn game that year.

I don't even remember specific Zac Taylor plays, so you're up on me there, Streeter. All I remember is that he just got crushed over and over and over, and I must have thought half a dozen times that the poor guy was not going to get up - but he got up.

Guys like Crouch and Frost delivered the blow, and to an extent Lord and Frazier did, too. But Zac Taylor was like a slow, fragile-looking puppy in that pocket standing behind the Callahan version of the Maginot Line, and he never left his post.

you young pups need to check our some Eric videos. That guy was the entire offense and got hit on almost every play (as an option QB). As far as I know the guy never went out of bounds and was tough as nails. To have him behind TM makes me think Nebraska fans need a refresher. Now get off my lawn.

Crouch, Lord, Zac Taylor, Martinez all took beatings in their careers that Frazier and guys before didn't have, thanks to dominant offensive lines. Hard to decide who was tougher from that group. Can't argue if you say any of them. I voted Crouch, though.

you young pups need to check our some Eric videos. That guy was the entire offense and got hit on almost every play (as an option QB). As far as I know the guy never went out of bounds and was tough as nails. To have him behind TM makes me think Nebraska fans need a refresher. Now get off my lawn.

Nobody needs a refresher - they just define toughness differently than you.

That's a good point, Landlord. I won't argue against any guy on that list. Steve Taylor wasn't immune to getting plastered and he has no votes. Crouch was nails, so was Frost, so was Martinez.

There really isn't a wrong answer here. It's just good to see a guy like Zac Taylor, who happened to play in an otherwise forgettable era, getting some love from Husker fans. Most of us would like to forget the Callahan Era, but there were still some great players, some great Huskers, on those teams.

I'd like to see Zac brought out on the field and feted, like they've done with Suh and some other players. He'd get a hell of an ovation, I'm thinking.

Oh we remember. We're just differentiating between Crouch/Lord/Frost/Frazier being the hammer and Taylor/Martinez/etc being the nail.

• Upvote 1

Eric Crouch should get some sympathy votes for having a head that can apparently rotate freely in a 360 degree motion.

• Upvote 3

That's a good point, Landlord. I won't argue against any guy on that list. Steve Taylor wasn't immune to getting plastered and he has no votes. Crouch was nails, so was Frost, so was Martinez.

There really isn't a wrong answer here. It's just good to see a guy like Zac Taylor, who happened to play in an otherwise forgettable era, getting some love from Husker fans. Most of us would like to forget the Callahan Era, but there were still some great players, some great Huskers, on those teams.

I'd like to see Zac brought out on the field and feted, like they've done with Suh and some other players. He'd get a hell of an ovation, I'm thinking.

He was Big 12 Offensive player of the year in '06, so I would assume-if he's willing to do so-that something like this would and should happen at some point in time.

Eric Crouch should get some sympathy votes for having a head that can apparently rotate freely in a 360 degree motion.

They don't call him The Big Red Owl for no reason.

. . . wait, they don't call him that?

• Upvote 1

For toughness I would go with Crouch. He is about 5'11" and maybe 200lbs. He really took a pounding for someone that size and dished some back as well.

For brute force I take Frost. He was Tim Tebow before there was such a thing. Six foot three 225lbs running about a 4.6 forty over the top of guys. He didn't have a ton of moves but I liked his style.

In 1999, I was 11 years old. I remember in the Big 12 Championship, Crouch was running an option and just absolutely got smashed right after he pitched it and got up right away. He definitely had guts and toughness too. Imagine him running behind 1995 or 1997 lines. Whew!!

For toughness I would go with Crouch. He is about 5'11" and maybe 200lbs. He really took a pounding for someone that size and dished some back as well.

For brute force I take Frost. He was Tim Tebow before there was such a thing. Six foot three 225lbs running about a 4.6 forty over the top of guys. He didn't have a ton of moves but I liked his style.

Scott Frost was so much better of a runner than Tim Tebow it's comical.

• Upvote 3

Crouch is about my top 2-3 all time huskers but my vote went to Frost.

They lined up the bodies in the wake of his play.

He just trucked us to a tilte, and when he needed to he pitched it to Ahman Green for good measure.

Frost was tough, remember that disgusting burst Bursa Sac he had on his elbow? He played all year w that thing dangling off his arm and STILL steamrolled linebackers.

• Upvote 2

i wasn't a huge Crouch fan because he was a little too one-dimensional, but the one thing I always marvelled at was how tough he was. He wasn't big. He didn't look like he could lower a shoulder into anybody. But he did. And he always popped up quick. Took the huge hits, popped out of the pile-up and was back in the huddle before the defenders knew what hit them. Frost did the same thing, but he was a lot bigger and did it for only two years. Frazier and Martinez were injured. A lot. They may have been tough, but being injured a lot cuts into that rep. Loved Zac Taylor, but he got pasted for only two years himself. Crouch was essentially a four year starter who took more hits than anyone on the team and unless I'm mistaken never missed a game -- or even a play -- due to injury.

And only one had to go home to Mommy, be begged to return to the team he was quitting on. Tough is finishing what you start.

And only one had to go home to Mommy, be begged to return to the team he was quitting on. Tough is finishing what you start.

And effectively hamstrung Solich's control before it even started. After he reversed course when DeAngelo did pretty much the same thing it pretty much started the drift towards the train wrecks of the end of 01 and 02.

i wasn't a huge Crouch fan because he was a little too one-dimensional, but the one thing I always marvelled at was how tough he was. He wasn't big. He didn't look like he could lower a shoulder into anybody. But he did. And he always popped up quick. Took the huge hits, popped out of the pile-up and was back in the huddle before the defenders knew what hit them. Frost did the same thing, but he was a lot bigger and did it for only two years. Frazier and Martinez were injured. A lot. They may have been tough, but being injured a lot cuts into that rep. Loved Zac Taylor, but he got pasted for only two years himself. Crouch was essentially a four year starter who took more hits than anyone on the team and unless I'm mistaken never missed a game -- or even a play -- due to injury.

A Nebraska kid, straight out of Omaha who ran the option probably as good or better than anyone ever on this planet. Won the Heisman trophy, and played for a National Championship. One of the greatest Husker football players of all times, with some of the most epic highlight reels of any player you will ever find, and you weren't a huge fan? Then you go on to say how much you loved him for his toughness?

You usually make quite a bit of sense man, but whoa.........so you liked him or you didn't? If not, for the reason I listed above, how the hell could you not?

You don't have to answer really. Not sure why I care. Never in my life did I think I would come to a Husker message board and read the words "i wasn't a huge Crouch fan".....

Raised right here in Nebraska. Played high school football right up the road in Omaha! Won the f'ing Heisman trophy as a Nebraska QB! Holy mother.......if you ain't a Crouch fan, then you ain't a Husker fan in my book.

Crouch is about my top 2-3 all time huskers but my vote went to Frost.

They lined up the bodies in the wake of his play.

He just trucked us to a tilte, and when he needed to he pitched it to Ahman Green for good measure.

Frost was tough, remember that disgusting burst Bursa Sac he had on his elbow? He played all year w that thing dangling off his arm and STILL steamrolled linebackers.

Man, your argument is solid. Zac Taylor would have had my vote, but man Frost was something else. I think you're right. I'd go with Frost.

Fan of his game, not of his mind set. Quitter way too many times to be considered a Husker great for me. Good player no question, but not what I call a Husker. A football player at Nebraska, great in doing so, but all on the list are far ahead for me. And you could name another 10 most likely that I would consider players that finished what they started without being promised something to get them to honor their commitment.

A Nebraska kid, straight out of Omaha who ran the option probably as good or better than anyone ever on this planet. Won the Heisman trophy, and played for a National Championship. One of the greatest Husker football players of all times, with some of the most epic highlight reels of any player you will ever find, and you weren't a huge fan? Then you go on to say how much you loved him for his toughness?

You usually make quite a bit of sense man, but whoa.........so you liked him or you didn't? If not, for the reason I listed above, how the hell could you not?

You don't have to answer really. Not sure why I care. Never in my life did I think I would come to a Husker message board and read the words "i wasn't a huge Crouch fan".....

I wished Crouch was a better passer. I thought he was a little selfish and our offense too one-dimensional behind him. There was something in his attitude and off-the field mindset that didn't quite jibe -- he got kinda full of himself and blamed others. I was certainly a fan of Crouch while he was playing, but if we're talking about favorite Husker QBs of all-time, he's just outside my Top 5. But I meant it as a helluva compliment that he was tougher than the five QBs I liked better.

Yeah, Frazier was a real pansy for not playing through those blood clots.

Nobody, certainly not me, would call Tommie Frazier a pansy. But if the gauge is toughness, part of that is simply physical. Some guys take a lot of hits and get hurt. Some guys take a lot of hits and don't. Who would you say is tougher?

I wished Crouch was a better passer. I thought he was a little selfish and our offense too one-dimensional behind him. There was something in his attitude and off-the field mindset that didn't quite jibe -- he got kinda full of himself and blamed others. I was certainly a fan of Crouch while he was playing, but if we're talking about favorite Husker QBs of all-time, he's just outside my Top 5. But I meant it as a helluva compliment that he was tougher than the five QBs I liked better.

I've always had a view from the outside and honestly never heard this stuff about Crouch as far as playing the blame game and other character issues. He seemed like the ultimate competitor to me and one hell of an athlete. I guess in my mind he's one of the greatest ever. I really never heard anyone say otherwise until today.

The guy played with a bum shoulder man. His passing had to have been impacted by that. He's had multiple surgeries in the past couple years on his throwing shoulder. Dude was tough as hell for his size. He'd be in my top 4 QBs for sure. Tough to figure out where he falls in that list for me.

Yeah, Frazier was a real pansy for not playing through those blood clots.

Nobody, certainly not me, would call Tommie Frazier a pansy. But if the gauge is toughness, part of that is simply physical. Some guys take a lot of hits and get hurt. Some guys take a lot of hits and don't. Who would you say is tougher?

I don't follow. Are you saying the Crohn's disease that caused his blood clots was a result of getting hit?

I would really like to get my hands on copies of the games from 2005 and 2006 and put together a Zac Taylor tribute video.

That is something I would definitely do.

There's a lot of good stuff on youtube, if you search for it.

Thanks for the tip zoogs. Hadn't looked in a few years, but I found the 2005 Oklahoma, Michigan and Missouri games, and the 2006 Big XII Championship game, Kansas game, and Texas game (albeit this one is in 4:3).

Here's the Oklahoma game for anyone that wants to see Zac get smoked over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzbvPT52tPs

puke..... ed cunningham...... but I also voted for Zac Taylor... This guy NEVER quit!!!! beaten down and always got up again... because of this and a poor O-line... taking hit after hit blindside or otherwise he ALWAYS got up again. i dont know how...

Zac Taylor hands down. That guy got rocked so many times but got up every single time. He is my favorite QB of all time.

wow, pretty tough to decide between Frost, Lord, and Taylor.

To the guy who made the comment about the 'hammer/nail' categories, I'd say Jammal is more in the nail category than hammer. Took the high road when he was absolutely crapped on by fans in 2002, I was so impressed that he never complained or said a negative word. I'd say he probably got the most crap from fans than any other husker QB, more than frost and TM.

I'd probably have to go with Zac for the exact reason the OP and everyone else mentioned. It was pretty unbelievable Didn't ever chew out his linemen either, just shook it off and moved on to the next play.

eric-crouch-o.gif

#7 vs Iowa LINK

crouch's trucking of the Iowa guy is probably the toughest single play by husker QB (could make an argument for Frost's crackback) but his borderline quitting the team after getting beaten out by Bobby somewhat detracts from his perceived toughness

Maybe it's not Lord's fault that he was the starting QB for a couple seasons we'd prefer to forget.

On the other hand, Lord's stats were inflated because he often made himself the entire offense. There were games where Nebraska's best offensive play was a broken play. Not necessarily a called run, but a mad scramble when everything else broke down. Which was too often.

When you let a running back call his own plays, he's going to call a lot of runs for himself. I guess that makes you pretty tough, putting the team on your back so often, but man, that was a hard offense to watch.

eric-crouch-o.gif

#7 vs Iowa LINK

crouch's trucking of the Iowa guy is probably the toughest single play by husker QB (could make an argument for Frost's crackback) but his borderline quitting the team after getting beaten out by Bobby somewhat detracts from his perceived toughness

I heard a story about how Iowa players were coached to try and hit him high and take him out of the game.

No idea if it's true or not, but if it is, it takes away from the "toughness" a little bit, but adds a whole hell of a lot of sweet justice.

I went with Frost. Zac Taylor is one of my top 5 all time NU QBs and was really a coach on the field who did take a beating as many had said. But Frost oozed toughness and confidence and I think he made all of those around him play tough. He never avoided contact and often avoided stepping out of bounds - if he had a choice between getting hit and gaining a few more yards vs taking the sideline - it was always taking or delivering the hit.

Crouch, Lord, Zac Taylor, Martinez all took beatings in their careers that Frazier and guys before didn't have, thanks to dominant offensive lines. Hard to decide who was tougher from that group. Can't argue if you say any of them. I voted Crouch, though.

Frazier - zero sacks in 95 - imagine an OL not giving up a sack. Talk about dominance. Memorial stadium was the International House of Pancakes for sure.

Zac Taylor or Eric Crouch. Eric wasn't a big dude, but was fearless and took his fair share of shots. Never forget the hits he took against Miami in his last game. Dude was a warrior.

I think the fact the Taylor did not pass his NFL physical says something about his toughness. He played 3 years with that injury, and if it had been allowed to heal properly he might have had the NFL career he wanted. He gave a lot to this program, that few appreciate it seems.

• Upvote 1

I think the fact the Taylor did not pass his NFL physical says something about his toughness. He played 3 years with that injury, and if it had been allowed to heal properly he might have had the NFL career he wanted. He gave a lot to this program, that few appreciate it seems.

How do you know it's the same injury?

He has had chronic turf toe and high ankle sprain since the Mizzou game. If you truly believe he ever looked like he did prior to that game, I really do not know what to tell you.

• Upvote 2