Who's Next?

11 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

How does he fit in numbers wise right now, what position do you drop a number off? 

I like him,  but  not sure I see him as a plan A with our numbers/needs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Miles Jones and Ronald Thompkins both being recruited by other schools for defense?

In addition to Thompkins dealing with injury, it's probably a safe bet to at least take a long look at Bivens if there is room.

This "late" in the recruiting it wouldn't make sense for him to OV in Lincoln if there wasn't something the coaches thought he could add to the team.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Miles Jones and Ronald Thompkins both being recruited by other schools for defense?

In addition to Thompkins dealing with injury, it's probably a safe bet to at least take a long look at Bivens if there is room.

This "late" in the recruiting it wouldn't make sense for him to OV in Lincoln if there wasn't something the coaches thought he could add to the team.

Not that I remember. 

I don't doubt that Bivens isn't talented enough to take. However, we can only sign so many in a class.... do you take 1 less WR or Oline, or etc? 

17 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I think Jaylin Bradley is going to leave. With that loss, to go with Devine, Mikale, and Bell leaving early, ideally you would like to bring in at least three guys. So we have Deidrick Mills, Rahmir Johnson, and Ronald Thompkins. 

So now let's break them down.

Mills

Two years of eligibility remaining, and had a really good freshman year at GT. He isn't a secret and will generate a lot of buzz when he gets on campus. Mills might not be a two year guy. If he runs for over 1,000 yards next year, the pros will come calling. That Freshman year really helps him in that scenario. Even if he does stay both, you have to recruit a RB alongside him always for balance.

Rahmir Johnson

Rahmir Johnson is going to be in more of a traditional RB role than people think. He might have instances where he plays the Duck R, but I fully expect him to take handoffs mostly. Also, I think he plays as a Freshman.  Rahmir isn't built to be a 25 + carries a game. 

Ronald Thompkins

Ronald is very talented, and has an excellent build for not being that big in stature. Blowing out both knees is a red flag, but a full year with Duval might help with those issues. He is the perfect RS candidate and could blossom tremendously because of it. If he does RS, Mills is either a SR or in the pros, Rahmir is a true Soph, Maurice will be playing his last year (because he's too damn talented to stay all four). 

Potentially Bringing In John Bivens

First thing, he's arguably more talented than the three I just previously mentioned. I have talked a lot about his ability and I think he is elite. So there is that. But what's nice is that you're getting a kid who knows it may be in his best interest to RS, therefore Nebraska gets a very talented kid who is low maintenance in that first year, and balances out the RB room, along with Thompkins.

What about Miles Jones and Wandale Robinson?

I fully expect to see both go 50/50 as a receiver/rb, but it gradually change as the years go by. Wandale will be more RB, and Miles will go more Wr. Miles is built more like JD, and I think they will gravitate towards that body type. 

What does this say about the near future of our offense?

I think Nebraska is looking to build up its RB room, so they can have more versatility in the flats, and in the option game. I also think they're more comfortable developing pass plays that get RB's involved, as opposed to 4-5 true Wrs. It gives you better opportunities for creative play calls, and less obvious formations. 

I could be completely wrong in all of this. 

Good breakdown, Vince. I should have been more clear, of the remaining spots we have available if you take Bivens which position are you comfortable cutting a number from? WR, DE, DB, Oline, JUCO OLB?

I don't doubt Bivens has the talent to be a take. 

EDIT: Hadn't seen Winston Wright was out of the picture. Maybe Bivens takes the spot we had set aside for another WR?

18 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Good breakdown, Vince. I should have been more clear, of the remaining spots we have available if you take Bivens which position are you comfortable cutting a number from? WR, DE, DB, Oline, JUCO OLB?

I don't doubt Bivens has the talent to be a take. 

WR and a lot of that has to do with the incoming guys getting to play right away. I expect Nance (early enrollee), Chase, and Wandale(50/50) to assume WR roles next year. I also expect Nance to assume a starting role by mid season.

The other aspect of this, is that Coach Walters and his ability to develop is going to be put on display this year. If Mike Williams, Jaron Woodyard, and Miles Jones are not ready to play next fall, it will be on Walters. I don't think that will happen, and I believe they will be ready to go. Add JD, Kade, Stoll, Allen, Legrone, and I think Nebraska will be just fine. Plus, Maurice will be the feature offensive player next year, and I say that knowing JD is coming back.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

WR and a lot of that has to do with the incoming guys getting to play right away. I expect Nance (early enrollee), Chase, and Wandale(50/50) to assume WR roles next year. I also expect Nance to assume a starting role by mid season.

The other aspect of this, is that Coach Walters and his ability to develop is going to be put on display this year. If Mike Williams, Jaron Woodyard, and Miles Jones are not ready to play next fall, it will be on Walters. I don't think that will happen, and I believe they will be ready to go. Add JD, Kade, Stoll, Allen, Legrone, and I think Nebraska will be just fine. Plus, Maurice will be the feature offensive player next year, and I say that knowing JD is coming back.

Not to mention Hunt who they were high on

5 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Makes sense, I hope so!

Another WR out of Oklahoma just popped up as a target though.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:26 PM, Vince R. said:

I agree that Maurice will be the featured player next year with Mills spelling him on multiple drives. I also think Frost will move JD to a role similar to what Morgan had later in the season (a lot of time in the slot) with Miles and Wandale splitting time at the Duck R.