8 hours ago, GSG said:

The seen/saw thing seems to be very Nebraskan. My dad does it a lot. (He pronounces measure as MAY-zure) I have a coworker originally from Kearney and she does the seen/saw thing too. Drives me nuts 

That pronunciation( May-zure) and words like "bray-yud (bread) seem to originate from southwest Nebraska and western Kansas.

Not really a pet peeve. Well maybe one specific to my mom.

She can’t see babies or toddlers without making little noises to indicate how cute they are. And if a baby makes a noise within 100 yards her head whips around until she can find the source and then she giggles when she sees it. She didn’t pass the gene onto me that makes me think every random kid is cute. IMO kittens are far more cute than random kids.

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Hover-ers.  

Ladies will understand.   In todays world with squats, wall sits and P90x and most importantly toilet covers available in every stall there is just no reason this continues to happen.  

My opinion is, if a person is that concerned about placing their buttocks on a toilet seat then they A) must not have to go badly enough B) probably shouldn't leave the safety of their own home or C) are picking some particularly nasty facilities in which to relieve themselves.

At my business, I just make sure there is a canister of those Clorox disinfecting wipes in the bathroom. Of course we have a single "one-holer" bathroom that gets cleaned twice a week so it's really more like the bathroom in your own home. I guess I've just never given it much consideration. If a toilet seat is particularly nasty, I find another one. If I gotta go NOW, then I just deal with it. I've had to deal with "it" plenty of times and never once have I contracted anything.

20 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

That pronunciation( May-zure) and words like "bray-yud (bread) seem to originate from southwest Nebraska and western Kansas.

Where have you heard "bray-yud". That sounds more like some sling blade stuff than anything, maybe the south or Texas...

22 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Where have you heard "bray-yud". That sounds more like some sling blade stuff than anything, maybe the south or Texas...

I have 3 different friends who either still live or grew up in McCook, Garden City and Colby who all pronounce "bread" as "bray yud.  I'm not saying everyone from there says it that way but that the only people I've heard say it that way were from that part of Nebraska and Kansas.

2 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

I have 3 different friends who either still live or grew up in McCook, Garden City and Colby who all pronounce "bread" as "bray yud.  I'm not saying everyone from there says it that way but that the only people I've heard say it that way were from that part of Nebraska and Kansas.

Well, I’m not very familiar with McCook but I’ve spent some (too much) time in Garden City and been through Colby often so, it’s definitely the aforementioned sling blade phenomenon :lol: There’s a different breed in west and southwest Kansas.

Pilots and flight stewards who think my flight is their audition for America's got talent or an opportunity to show off their smarts.  Every time they interrupt the flight for a meaningless announcement I about scream.  Not one person cares about how fast the plan is going or wants to get an airlines credit card.

On 5/18/2019 at 1:12 PM, NM11046 said:

Hover-ers.  

Ladies will understand.   In todays world with squats, wall sits and P90x and most importantly toilet covers available in every stall there is just no reason this continues to happen.  

There’s a McD’s right across from where the fireworks display was planned last night, so went into the restroom and I thought of you.  Thankfully there was more than one stall available.